Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front door coming off hinges

• 30-08-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

My girlfriend has a house that is rented, we were recently doing some maintenance on the house and noticed the front door wasn't closing properly.

On closer inspection we noticed that it only had two of the three hinges fitted, (the middle one is missing). When I inspected the hinges I noticed the top one is beginning to come out of the frame slightly and this is causing the bottom of the door to clip the frame when your closing it.

Because of this the tenants have been banging the door closed instead of lifting the door so it doesn't bang the frame. This hasn't helped the problem I'm sure!

We tried to remove the door by lifting it off the hinges but it is hitting the door ope before it is able to clear the top of the hinges thus making it impossible to lift off and fix the problem.

I believe the door was made by munster joinery but am just wondering is there any easy fix that I could do myself. I am fairly handy but at a loss as to how to get the door off the hinges so as I can fit the third hinge and knock the top one back into the frame.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!

The hinge is the lift-off type something like the picture below but is pin fitted to the frame, something like the following hinge. So it is the pin that is pulling out of the door frame, why they dont use screw fitted hinges I will never understand!
    5025293061731-L.jpg6000hinges_250x250.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i have same front door with hinges on left hand side, tried it first time couldnt lift it, but all it was percission in lifting door up, try to wide open door and lift it,

Advertisement