Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling with your Bike versus renting abroad?

• 30-08-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Good Afternoon! Hope u're all enjoying the great weather!
    I was cycling in the Alps for a few days. I rented a bike over there, which worked out well.
    I am about to buy €2.5k worth of a racing bike and would love to go on cycling trips in the future to France, Canaries, Italy etc
    So I have 2 questions;
    1) is it practical to bring a bike abroad, will the bike survive and require much assembly on the other side? Then I suppose you have to get a rental car big enough for your bike and your mates bikes(3/4 bikes?!)
    2) can any of you recommend a strong, dependable bike box to protect a €2.5k bike?

It would be great to bring my own bike versus renting bikes over in France is so easy!!

I appreciate your advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

Depends on what you're doing really. if I was going away for a long weekend I'd probably rent..but going away for a week where we bike every day I'd always bring my own..it's no hassle with the right bag... we always hire something like a renault kangoo and you can get 3 people in and 3 bike bags easy...

Avoid bike bags that are two small or two big... I've seen some where people have to take mechs off and forks out... pain to have to do that.. I've a bike pro usa bag.... it has four wheels on it so no carrying around or dragging along the ground...I only have to take the stem off, seatpost out and pedals off which is pretty standard stuff... bag is well padded and bike has never been damaged and I've used it many many times... Look out for bags/boxes that are too big too...just a pain to get around and fit in cars..rigid boxes are bad for this..with the padded one you can also squish them in a bit more...

This is the same as mine.. bought a few years ago second hand.... expensive enough but I've got eight years of use out of it and its still going strong...

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/~arwhyte/Bike+in+a+bag

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hey, thanks for the replies! I will have a look at those bike boxes- have no problem spending € on a decent travel box that will protect my bike!

Your bike is a carbon racer? And you said you've never had any problems.One of the lads we met on our last trip had a hardshell bike box- Italian make- looked very solid, but as you said very bulky!

I like the idea of not completely dimantaling my bike on arrival,

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

I've had carbon cross bikes & carbon mountain bikes in it...no problem... you can also get a load of gear in and around the bike... make sure to get some lagging to wrap the main tubes just to be doubly sure...

Advertisement