Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I have to go to FAS?

• 30-08-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I went to apply for JSB and the girl there told me I have to sign up with FAS. Is this mandatory? I have just lost my job, and have something in the pipeline so I would prefere to dedicate a few weeks to job hunting first, and then go if I cant find anything

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

no you just have to register with them you wont be made do a course or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

You don't even have to register with FÁS and the dole office has no right to make you. What happens is you'll get a letter from them to go to FÁS after signing on three months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Nolanger wrote: »
    You don't even have to register with FÁS and the dole office has no right to make you. What happens is you'll get a letter from them to go to FÁS after signing on three months.

Op, The deciding officer in the dole office has the right to make sure you are actively seeking employment. If they suggest you register with fas and you refuse, you will not get the dole. And they WILL make sure you have a letter from fas to say you have registered so get it before you make your claim.

I don't get why you're saying you'd prefer to do your own jobhunting first. All fas do is interview and get you to fill out an application form. They won't send you to interviews or courses. When you find an alternative job you can give them a call to say you don't need their services any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Op, The deciding officer in the dole office has the right to make sure you are actively seeking employment. If they suggest you register with fas and you refuse, you will not get the dole. And they WILL make sure you have a letter from fas to say you have registered so get it before you make your claim.
    Don't mean to be a smartarse but that rule was done away with about two years ago when they decided to send customers to FAS after three months instead of six signing on. There is no need to register with FAS when you sign on anymore and a deciding officer has no right to disallow the claim because of this. The application form says you have to register with FAS within the first month after claiming though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Nolanger wrote: »
    Don't mean to be a smartarse but that rule was done away with about two years ago when they decided to send customers to FAS after three months instead of six signing on. There is no need to register with FAS when you sign on anymore and a deciding officer has no right to disallow the claim because of this.

ah right.. my bad. Thanks for the update. i was on the dole for a summer 6 or 7 years ago and couldn't get anywhere until i registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I never signed up with FAS when I was on JSA and was never even informed about it.. so I guess it's really up to who you get/your local office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

I had to sign on with FAS when I applied for JSB. It is wise, if nothing else, to sign on, as it allows you to go on WPP, courses, etc, if you want to.

As for whether you must sign on, my understanding from the experience of a friend of mine in Wicklow, is that unless you sign on, they will not process the forms, as they have to ensure all the boxes are ticked.

Altogether, best to sign on. Takes 20mins, and it allows the process to move more smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It's a lot less hassell for you if you just go into FAS and register. The whole thing is idiotic and no indication whatsoever if you are actually looking for a job or not. If you refuse you may have to regularly provide them with a list of companies you have approached about a job and they will ring them for verification. A past employer I had was contacted with 3 names and asked if they had applied for work. They had no positions available so had none advertised and no one had approached them to ask if there was a job going so I can imagine what happened to their allowance :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

It won't take long, there's a four page form I believe. I did it on the same day that I made my dole claim, might as well since I was out and about. Get a letter of registration and file it. I haven't been asked for mine yet and it's been over a year, but I have it ready. Take a look at their course list and see if there's anything that interests you. If so, get your name down for it. You may be on the dole longer than you think, but I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression I'd have to sign up and go to a course, some of which are months long. I would like to but as I said I have something coming up so I want to see if that works out first. My friend did a course and left halfway through as she got a job and said she felt bad about it as it was a waste of money for FAS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 denni26

you just have to go in and register with fas. you don't have to do a course. it's just to show them that you are looking for work really. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

In my experience, FAS are great at talking you out of doing a course. Several times I have gone in to their office the morning after looking at their website. I'd have a list of eight or nine courses that I'd be interested in and I'd leave signed up to none of them. I'm now on the waiting list for a couple of courses, but most of the time they give me reasons not to go on them.

Advertisement