Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

X6800 - DO i need an upgrade??!?

• 30-08-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭

HI Folks

I built a system 2 years ago (specs below)

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800
    4GB DDR 2
    250GB HDD
    DVDRW
    7600GT Nvidia 512MB

Fact is its been a decent system for the last 3 years, and didn't seem to have a problem coping with most programs i threw at it. Im not big into games so the gfx card didnt bother me!

HOWEVER! There is one game iv always loved ... and that's Deus Ex!

The second one released in 2003/4, required me to dump my rather decent system of the time, and upgrade..

The Third installment is due in FEBRUARY 2011, and looks FANTASTIC!

So im wondering if it is necessary to dump the lot and go CoreI5 or 7: I know il have to get a new gfx card and as such ive ordered a GTX470 with 1280MB GFX RAM.

Im looking for opinions on the chip itself. I should point out that being an extreme edition the x6800 you can seriously over clock the chip. I personally had it running stably at 3.4GHZ and ive heard of faster speeds being attained!

Also it is possible to get a DDR3 775 board for this chip for around 70+ quid on ebay. DDR3 is obviously faster and i can get hold of some relatively cheap online..

SO! Any opinions suggestions ... most welcome... The alternative to this upgrade the entire system to a Core i7 which would set me back close to 1k when you take the entire upgrade into consideration(more expensive mainboard, chip, heatsink, and the memory is slightly more expensive too)

Let me know what you folks think

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

dx:HR will support directx 11 so gfx card is good idea

as for the chips.... http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=48496,37150,

apart from slight increase in speed the main difference between the chips is hyper threading which i5 doesnt support,

Other important factors as I'm sure you know is the speed of your ram, and the mobo.no point investing $$$ on two parts and not on other vital parts that are needed

being honest, at the moment I've a q6600 Superclocked ,4gb ram overlclocked slightly, 8TB of HDD's with raptor for my OS with a 8800GT SC System was in its prime about 18months ago, but my point is, I'll be able to run deus ex 3 on it with everything on high specs.... like any other games on the market

a decent mobo, chip and ram upgrade and 200 range nvidia gfx card would cost you under 500 and would be a better investment if your not a hardcore gamer

my point being..... you dont need to spend close to a 1k when it really isnt needed to play the game in high quality graphics

Advertisement