Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking, illegal?

Options
  • 30-08-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My dog is about two years old, cross between a terrier and god knows what :D. Anyway she seems to have some hatred of the elderly. She always barks when she see's them but once she gets close she never bites. She has never bitten anyone and is very friendly to everyone if given the chance.

However there is one elderly man in my estate that she always runs after barking. When she gets close she just stops then walks away.

However the man is very annoyed and has threatened to ring the guards and have her put down. Can he do this? Also how do I stop her barking?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Is she running on the street or inside your garden behind a fence?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

domrush wrote: »
    Hi,
    My dog is about two years old, cross between a terrier and god knows what :D. Anyway she seems to have some hatred of the elderly. She always barks when she see's them but once she gets close she never bites. She has never bitten anyone and is very friendly to everyone if given the chance.

However there is one elderly man in my estate that she always runs after barking. When she gets close she just stops then walks away.

However the man is very annoyed and has threatened to ring the guards and have her put down. Can he do this? Also how do I stop her barking?

I can understand him being annoyed, I've got a dog phobia and wouldn't take it well either.
    Why not just shorten the leash when you walk past him, so she doesn't get too close to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He can ring the warden and make a complaint that your dog is being allowed run down the street behind him, barking at him.

He cannot have the dog put down, only a judge can make an order to destroy a dog, and only where a dog has caused damage to a person or property.

If the dog is running free on the street, you've a very simple way of solving the problem - don't let the dog run free on the street. If the dog is secured in a garden, then you've nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If she is inside your fence then I wouldn't worry about it because I don't think there's anything he could do.

But if she's running after him along the street, he probably wouldn't get her put down, but he could get you in trouble, because she should be on your property really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

All the dogs in the estate all run around on a big green outside our house. He's not afraid of her, I think he just dislikes dogs. I think we're just going to erect gates, thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Remember that as well as the danger to your dog from cars, malicious people, other dogs you are supposed to have your dog under control at all times. If your dog did go for him the fact that your dog was running free, not under your control, would go against you.

Perhaps you could enlist some elderly people you know to help your dog get over her fear; if old people suddenly start dropping treats then she'll probably start looking at them as people to be nice to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

All the dogs in the estate all run around on a big green outside our house. He's not afraid of her, I think he just dislikes dogs. I think we're just going to erect gates, thanks for the help

Is the dog just allowed to roam free all day? If so there's no thinking about erecting gates, you have to erect gates or use some other means to keep the dog enclosed in the garden.
    Regardless of whether he's afraid of dogs or dislikes dogs he should not have to put up with a dog running after him barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I think that's pretty disrespectful to allow your dog have free reign of a housing estate which has people and cars traveling to and from it, whilst knowing it has a tendency to chase and bark at certain people.

There could be plenty more elderly people that've not mentioned the dog but are equally harassed by it that have to deal with it every time they leave their houses.
    Not to mention what would happen if a silly child would kick or pinch the dog and cause the dog to react...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

sorry but just because others have their dogs out loose doesn't mean its right. especially seeing as how yours, by your own admition, chases and barks at people. first off its illegal to let dogs roam unsupervised so if he does call the warden, you can be fined. secondly, your dog sounds like it has issues and may pose a risk to people and other digs and if, god forbid, something did happen, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on and the dog would be pts. imagine an elderly lady startled by your dog falls over and breaks a leg or hip, how would you feel then? or worse, it bites someone? do everyone a favour, including responsible dog owners, and keep your lad in your garden and under control. that way there's no risk and responsible dog owners don't get a bad name when they let their dogs off leash under supervision and effective control. I'm not having a go at you, I'm just putting it in black and white

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Please do....
    I've lived in an estate like that for a year, I'm dead glad I'm finally out of there. The dogs made my life hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would have two main concerns about a load of dogs being allowed to run on a shared green space:

1. Waste (they're going to crap everywhere)
    2. The pack - Just like teenagers, a group of dogs left unsupervised will get themselves into more mischief than a dog on his/her own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

maybe your dog see's Death.jpg this guy!!

Advertisement