Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vuelta a espana

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Durnish wrote: »
    I am a novice. What is all this spoiler stuff about?
    If you're a novice in this forum, you'd better read the Charter. It's all in there;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Next three stages all have mountain top finishes. Tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

el tonto wrote: »
    Next three stages all have mountain top finishes. Tasty.

Aye given thats the case I found this beeb quote amusing:
    BBC wrote:
    Cavendish, who is now 65th on the overall standings list, will attempt a hat-trick in Saturday's 14th stage, a 178-km run from Burgos-Pena Cabarga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye given thats the case I found this beeb quote amusing:

the bbc and cycling they just dont get it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

and to show what's under a spoiler highlight it. That one took me a while...

and if theres lots of them you're better off with 'ctrl A' instead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anton in a crash!

looks like igor anton is out, road rash all over his body nasty rash, shame for anton

great win for rodriguez, nibali now leads

great ride from roche 5th 34s down ahead of schleck, now 5th overall 2m 11s down

tough tough finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

Fantastic ride by Nicholas.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Seriously impressive stuff by Roche today. There are a two more hard stages ahead, so he'll have a battle to hold off Velits and Schleck. There aren't that many strong TTers in the top 10 though and I reckon he could hold his own there and even make some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

oh, I thought it was an emoticon
    This is a bit like sign language.
    Pity it can't auto-unspoil itself when the stage is done and won.

Caught up in US tennis last night so have not caught up with the cycling. See, this is where watching daytime tv gets ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Whats Roche like in the TT? His TdF result doesn' look too bad but not great for a GC contender, but that's just one data point

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Whats Roche like in the TT? His TdF result doesn' look too bad but not great for a GC contender, but that's just one data point

Former Irish TT champion. 9th in the prologue of this year's Volta a Catalunya. Capable of a good one on his day I think. I've been trawling around for recent results where he's TT'd against the likes of Rodriguez, Schleck, and Tondo but haven't found one yet. Nibaili went 1:45 faster than him in a 40km TT in last year's Dauhphine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Only 3/4 hour coverage on eurosport today :( Anyone know of any better coverage elsewhere?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

snollup wrote: »
    Only 3/4 hour coverage on eurosport today :( Anyone know of any better coverage elsewhere?

Thanks

Check steephill tv, but I'd say eurosport will be the best

Is that Roche to 4th? Show me results Internet!

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Is that Roche to 4th? Show me results Internet!
    Eurosport think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Shockingly little coverage by Eurosport today.

Spanish channel I was watching it on have him as 6th, 5th - Tondo, 7th - Schleck

another great ride from roche leading in scleck and sastre 3:01 down on the stage winner

looks like roche is 6th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

great ride today from although RTE reckon Roche was "disapointing" today !! lol good to see the expertise these clowns have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

great ride today from although RTE reckon Roche was "disapointing" today !! lol good to see the expertise these clowns have

did they honestly say that?

turds, absolute turds

did they honestly say that?

turds, absolute turds

yep, on both the 6pm & 9pm news - obviously Pat Kenny standards apply to our cyclists as well as our footballers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

only just seen todays stage well done nicko .. bril ride on a big stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 20 squigo

That was a joke alright on RTE. Hopefully roche can keep the good work going tomorrow

maybe rte should read his tour diary before making comments, but its the standard of journalism i have come to expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Unfortunately, Nico's not a jockey riding for the Ballydoyle stable, so RTE sport can't be arsed.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/cycling/2010/0912/vuelta_barredoc_nibaliv.html
    Ireland's Nicolas Roche had a disappointing day in the saddle. Roche came home twelfth on the stage, three minutes and two seconds behind Barredo. That result means he drops from fifth to sixth overall - two minutes and 47 seconds behind overall leader Nibali.

And in Nico's own words...
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/nicolas-roche-its-been-very-stressful-and-demanding-but-im-loving-every-minute-2335269.html
    At the top, I finished 12th on the stage. I had dropped one place to sixth overall but I can't be too disappointed as I've moved closer on time to fourth.

It would be unfair to be disappointed today. Velits had a better day than me today, but I had a better day than Tondo. I am only 18 seconds off fourth place now. Behind me, though, Schleck is still a danger, even though I took those four bonus second out of him today, while Danielson is just a minute back.

irish times
    Roche on course after good weekend in the mountains

CYCLING : NICOLAS ROCHE remains on course for a top-10 placing in the Vuelta a España following two strong days in the mountains over the weekend. The Ag2r La Mondiale rider was a superb fifth on Saturday’s race to Peña Cabarga, riding past many of the favourites and reaching the finish just 34 seconds behind stage winner Joaquin Rodriguez. He then climbed with most of the top guns again yesterday, slugging it out on the finishing climb of the Lagos de Covadonga.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0913/1224278758424.html

It's pretty exciting at this stage. Roche has Tondo and Velits in his sights, but Schleck and Danielson are breathing down his neck. Mosquera is not a noted time triallist but has got a big advantage now over those behind him.

I reckon Nibali is a shoe in for the overall at this stage.

• Advertisement

not for the weak stomached
    igor antons crash and the aftermath
    http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/20100911/lider-presente-edicion-vuelta-a-espana-igor-anton-tenido-abandonar-caida-a-6-kilometros-meta/874015.shtml

1 very second hand jersey and shorts for sale

just found this great shot

285-PIC138387385.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

not for the weak stomached
    igor antons crash and the aftermath
    http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/20100911/lider-presente-edicion-vuelta-a-espana-igor-anton-tenido-abandonar-caida-a-6-kilometros-meta/874015.shtml

1 very second hand jersey and shorts for sale

The Helmet manufacturers should use that as an ad !

Neither cyclist's helmet even shattered, & one of them did a cartwheel while still attached to his bike :eek:

I will miss todays stage - anyone know if you can see a repeat of it on-line later this evening ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

getting to the business end of what should be a great finale :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Will Roche make a burst !!

Great ride by Roche - back up to 5th!

Apparently he attacked in the closing minutes, but couldn't see it on Eurosport.

Schleck showing his form as well, he's ahead of Roche in 4th.

yep roche back upto 5th 3:01 down, 9th on the stage another great ride

Another great ride today, finishing ahead of the red jersey. 8th today, 5th overall, 3:01 down, Schleck 4th 2:16 down, Velits 6th 4:27 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

This is outstanding stuff altogether from Roche - between this and Le Tour he's shown that he can finish in the top 10 or maybe 15 on pretty much any climb amongst the best. Hi Le Tour final timetrial time is misleading as he was one of those that went out after the significant headwind had picked up, but he had a respectable finish relative to those around him so here's hoping he can solidify or even build on his already admirable 5th placing. Surprised at the relative lack of interest on here - this has to be the best performance at the top level by an Irish rider in what 10, 15 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

happygoose wrote: »
    5th overall, 3:01 down, Schleck 4th 2:16 down
    Did Schleck earn a time bonus or something? Didn't think he finished that far ahead of Roche.
    Really great ride yet again by Roche. It's great watching a grand tour with an Irish rider doing so well & placed so high up the GC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Frank Schlek did indeed earn a time bonus, was it 12 or 26 secs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

12 seconds for finishing second on the stage. Stage winner gets 20 secs, 12 secs for 2nd and 8 secs for 3rd except for the prologue and time trial stages.

Very surprised to see Nibali crack today. He'd been looking so comfortable to date. I do think he's the best TT'er of the contenders, so he might be back in red on Wednesday.

Thought Roche rode well today. Would have been very easy to panic and try to chase Schleck, but he could have easily have ended up cooked, which is what happened to Tom Danielson.

how do people think the TT will play out amongst the top 5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

Apart from Nibali, Roche is the best ttèr in the top 5...he took nearly 4 min out of Rodriguez in the T de F...different cicumstances I know....who knows a place on the podium:o

Has anybody else been reading his diary in the Indo...great stuff...very honest.

P.S Whats the deal with Spoilers?..what purpose do they serve?, am I missing something?

• Advertisement

rubs wrote: »
    P.S Whats the deal with Spoilers?..what purpose do they serve?, am I missing something?

Most people can't watch the stage live because they're in work.

Highlights on really late tonight :( I was liking the 7/8pm slot, midnight is a bit of a stretch.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Highlights on really late tonight :( I was liking the 7/8pm slot, midnight is a bit of a stretch.

I usually just tape the live coverage

I usually just tape the live coverage

Aye, I used to, but I got in trouble recently, I filled the PVR with the TDF and my wife went mental because it didn't record Britains Next Top Model one night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Then why are they clicking on this thread??

• Advertisement
Advertisement