Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eyesight

• 30-08-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

So, looks like I'm nowhere near the 6/18 requirement for the Defence Forces. :( Unless they change their policy on visual corrective surgery in the next two or three years, it looks like I'll be seeking work in the British Armed Forces. Got to say, I'm not happy about it, would much rather the DF, but it seems unlikely they're going to alter their policies anytime soon. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

So, looks like I'm nowhere near the 6/18 requirement for the Defence Forces. :( Unless they change their policy on visual corrective surgery in the next two or three years, it looks like I'll be seeking work in the British Armed Forces. Got to say, I'm not happy about it, would much rather the DF, but it seems unlikely they're going to alter their policies anytime soon. :(

Can you not get the laser done and re apply next year? Is there some check they do to tell if you have had laser done? I doubt it. I'd say if you get it done and keep your mouth shut.....

would the brits not havea similar eye sight standard and laser treatment policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Frogeye wrote: »
    Can you not get the laser done and re apply next year? Is there some check they do to tell if you have had laser done? I doubt it. I'd say if you get it done and keep your mouth shut.....

Thought about it, but it's not something I'd like to lie about, and if you get caught there are nasty issues like fraud.
    would the brits not havea similar eye sight standard and laser treatment policy?

Not for the most part, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Minimum visual standards

Candidates for the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst who are to join the Infantry, Foot Guards or Parachute regiment may be accepted with a visual acuity of 6/9 or above in the right eye, otherwise candidates for the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, Army Scholarships and University Cadetships require a minimum visual acuity with spectacles of 6/6 in one eye and not less than 6/36 in the other. Normally the right eye must be
    correctable to 6/6 except in R Signals, RAChD, Army Medical Service, REME, AGC and Int Corps where the right eye may be the worse. Officer cadets for RLC must have the vision in the left eye correctable to 6/12.

Soldiers are accepted with a minimum corrected visual acuity between 6/6 and 6/12 depending on the regiment or corps, in the right eye, and 6/36 in the left eye. Driving grades require vision in the left eye to be correctable
    to 6/12, and certain safety critical trades require vision to 6/6 bilaterally with spectacles.

Myopia exceeding 7 dioptres in any meridian in either eye or hypermetropia exceeding 8 dioptres precludes acceptance even if vision is correctable to the required standard.

You will note the emphasis on the acuity of the right eye. This is because there are no left-eyed/LHO firearms in the British Army.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

kind of funny if you join the irish army you defend your country and need to be able to see stuff, if you join the english you invade countries and don't need to see nothing.

hilarious

Thought about it, but it's not something I'd like to lie about, and if you get caught there are nasty issues like fraud.

Making a false declaration under oath, also called enlisting under false pretences, or obtaining a commission by deception, will certainly entitle you to the wearing of a uniform.

Regardless of where you 'serve' it will be dark grey or blue, with your number stencilled on the front and the natty 'HMP' logo on the back.

Also provided at no extra cost will be free food and accommodation for three to five years and the chance to improve your education in the prison library and learning facilities.

Please don't try it.

tac

• Advertisement

digme wrote: »
    kind of funny if you join the irish army you defend your country and need to be able to see stuff, if you join the english you invade countries and don't need to see nothing.

hilarious

Dear Mr digme - please get somebody to read this for you -

As the Man said, if you have nothing to 'contribute' except your assinine and infantile comments, please leave the thread to those who DO have something to offer.

IAC, the point has already been made, sufficiently I would have thought, that there are a great many Irishmen serving in ALL the forces of the United Kingdom, and incidentally, the English do not have their own army.

Personally, I would have thought that the existence of the Royal Irish Regiment - by far the largest infantry regiment in the British Army, was proof enough of the numbers of Irishmen currently serving.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

i find it funny though they have to have lapse entry requirements as they need the higher numbers of meat to do their work in far off lands invading and securing minerals etc to keep their country afloat.
    oh ya, buy a machine gun for Afghanistan kid, cause you'll need it.

digme wrote: »
    i find it funny though they have to have lapse entry requirements as they need the higher numbers of meat to do their work in far off lands invading and securing minerals etc to keep their country afloat.
    oh ya, buy a machine gun for Afghanistan kid, cause you'll need it.

With all due respect, when you understand what the various ISAF forces are doing in Afghanistan, you'll be much better equipped to discuss it here.

I have no intention of lying about my eyesight and it's why I'll be working for the BA rather than the Defence Forces, unless they change their policy on surgically corrected vision within the next two years (which seems unlikely).

Tac, my eyesight is nowhere near requiring a correction of 7 dioptres and is perfectly treatable with surgery to better than 6/6 in each eye, so I reckon that's the route I'll be taking.

It's a bit of a shame. The DF would have allowed me much more of what I want. I'd rather remain living in Ireland, I'd rather be able to have a competitive shooting career and compete in CISM events as well as ISSF World Cup and World Championship level events as well as the Olympics, but since the BA doesn't compete in CISM that I've seen and since I doubt I'll have the freedom to do the same level of training, it's probably not going to be a reality. Still, the job has to be the priority.

Tac, my eyesight is nowhere near requiring a correction of 7 dioptres and is perfectly treatable with surgery to better than 6/6 in each eye, so I reckon that's the route I'll be taking.

That's good, so. It has taken them, ten years, and they still haven't replaced me yet. Perhaps you'll be the one, eh?

Loads of luck

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    That's good, so. It has taken them, ten years, and they still haven't replaced me yet. Perhaps you'll be the one, eh?

Loads of luck

tac

Thanks. I expect I'll end up in the Royal Irish. It's a good one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement