Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold room problem, any solution?

• 30-08-2010 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I recently heard about an insulating paint which is supposed to cut down heat loss, does anybody know about it? its called warmcoat. I have one very cold room at the back of the house and I don't want to throw big money at that job right now and this paint might be an option. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No, this is unlikely to work. Does your paint have a certificate for the level of insulation it provides, from a recognised testing organization? I'd be surprised if it does.

If not, you are better to spend the time and money blocking any holes in the inside and outside of the wall and in the window. You could also try a cheap secondary glazing system although I have no experience with these systems myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭soldsold

Definitely does not work. Its been discussed on various building forums before, the paints that claim to be insulating do insulate the walls but so little that the room temperature wont change, so its a waste of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 wesleygeorge67

I dont know how you can say it does not work? last november i put on 3 coats of warmcoat in a 67 year old cottage on the inside of three separate external solid walls, you could not heat the place. The rooms heated up faster and they held the heat longer. As far as im concerned it got a serious test last winter which was pretty cold. I would most certainly give it a thumbs up. A bit pricy but worth it id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Fantastic to hear about your success Wesley. Do you have a copy of the testing certificate from the manufacturer? Since the product is so good they are sure to have one.

I didnt ask, they may well have one, Did you actually use the stuff yourself? I did, and it worked for me during the worst winter imaginable and thats my cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I didnt ask, they may well have one, Did you actually use the stuff yourself? I did, and it worked for me during the worst winter imaginable and thats my cert.

Have to say that at best it's some sort of barrier ,if thats what it is ,I wouldn't like to see whats happening behind the paint.

Im afraid there is no magic bullet where insulation is concerned, every system has pro's and con's and while its tempting to say "sure ill give insulating paint a try", save your money its the insulation version of the three card trick.

If anyone still thinks that the poster wesleygeorge67 is not a spammer, have a look at his posting history...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=14122109#

Or maybe read this before you waste your money on this scam...

http://www.epinions.com/content_2452594820

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 martin.flynn

Thanks for all of your replies. I am really new in this forum... I joined in just to get some answers. However, I felt quite confused of what to do. If I won't opt for warmcoat paint, what other alternatives do I have? So far, that is the only one that I know of. If George is right about warmcoat, why not give it a try? I am trying to consider the cost for warmcoat compared to other alternatives. Can somebody give me a general idea of the expenses.. and the quality? Tnx.

in reply to SoldSold, A man asked for comments, i gave mine, i didn't know a new members comments would be critised as spam... sorrrry if my opinion is unwelcome to you, nevertheless i agree that every insulation system has its pros and cons depending on the job and more to the point these days, the cash available. Without doubt i could have gotten a much better result than that paint too if i spent more money on that job.

• Advertisement

In reply to wesley george, there is a "well known columnist george wesley" who writes articles for a company who sells insulating paint. No surprise that they also sell "insulating plaster" that wesleygeorge has been suggesting on another thread.

http://www.google.ie/search?rlz=1C1CHMZ_enIE323IE377&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=igoe.ie+wesley+george

Anyone smell a rat?

You are on my ignore list now, bye!

...This message is hidden because wesleygeorge67 is on your ignore list.

Martin, i would suggest the first thing to do is get in a BER engineer to look the house over and make recommendations as to what might work best for you. A BER survey costs about €150 I think and well worth it for independent advice. They also have a good handle on costs of all the various types of insulation. Look up SEAI http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Home_Energy_Saving_Scheme/ where you will get tons of information on the subject and especially read up on the various insulation grants available which you may be entitled to. To answer your expenses question, you will pay anything from €500 upwards to get a small room dry lined, painting or papering job extra if you don’t do that yourself. It makes no sense to compare 60 or 70mm thick dry lining insulation with insulating paint, as they are totally different concepts. The paint runs about €75 a can which should do a small room and will help cut heat loss if you are watching the pennies. If you have more to spend, or qualify for a grant, or even manage to get a loan, go for the best you can buy, it will pay off in the end as heating is deffo not going down in price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 martin.flynn

Thanks for that Wesleygeorge. I took your advice and called in a BER engineer who looked the house over. He recommended 60mm dry lining for 3 external walls for which a small grant was available as well which helped a lot, nice one! Said he heard good reports about that paint also but had no personal experience of it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 stej

Hi there,
    In my opinion, ROI is not opened 2 new things about insulation problems.I was using that product in many houses,where the wall cavity pump insulation is not possible.and all of them r very happy.But why 2 use thermal plasterboard,changing skirtings,archatrives,2 have a big mess inside,2 call after that painters,and at the final even a cleaning company,instead of mixing that product with paint,and the final result is exactly the same:plus 3-5 degrees C inside??????And the price is with 75%down!!!!!!!!!!In Italy I used for external thermal insulation against the sun heat.If the product is not good,than why u can find it everywhere in Ireland?Maybe the experts from NASA r stupid when r using that product for their needs?
    Thx
    Pls just give me a shoot if u want 2 know more about that product.
    I recently heard about an insulating paint which is supposed to cut down heat loss, does anybody know about it? its called warmcoat. I have one very cold room at the back of the house and I don't want to throw big money at that job right now and this paint might be an option. What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Owen Tango

I think you need to check your heating bill for that winter period, because it was a really cold winter, you may have had your heating on constantly, and taught it was warm.

The most successful stories of retrofit insulation are external insulation.

You may check out this site; www.ecoinsulationsolutions.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hollygun

Owen Tango wrote: »
    I think you need to check your heating bill for that winter period, because it was a really cold winter, you may have had your heating on constantly, and taught it was warm.

The most successful stories of retrofit insulation are external insulation.

You may check out this site; www.ecoinsulationsolutions.com

don't get the guys in the previous post, they are a pack of cowboys who wrecked my house and now won't even return my calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Never have I heard as much ****..

Paint .. You are having a laugh right..

If it is a small room. Baton and insulate slab and tape . 300 would get you out in these times.

Do not get caught up in a marketing gimmick .. Paint Jasuzzzzz lol:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

Incremental Cost Analysis for typical DIY disaster merchant who doesn't want the house to look like it was built by Jack the lad through horrendous self-installed dry-lining.

Cost of Insulating Paint and Materials: €80
    Cost of own Painting Labour: Nil

Total: €80

Vs

Cost of Dry-lining Materials for Typical Room: c€250 delivered (6 boards, skimcoat, mushroom fixings, scrim, etc.)

2 Plasterers 1.5 days' work c.€500

Cost of Plumber to remove Radiator, then to come back and refit, c€100 - on a good day.

Cost of Carpenter to remove and replace windowboard and skirting (c.€200)

Cost of Cheap Paint and Materials €30.
    Cost of Own Painting Labour: Nil.

N.B. No Grant because you're only doing one room.

Total €1,080

Typical Pay-Back?? (maybe 7-10 years?)

Conclusion:
    You've F*** all options if you don't have the money. If my costings look wrong feel free to update.

But I'm not surprised that in the times we are in - with estate agents telling people to not put any money into a house that they may look to sell, with your house worth less the week after you've thrown more cash into it - that people would be tempted to try a gimmick like insulating paint. And I haven't even factored in the "hassle-factor" of getting tradesmen into your gaff - time off work, shopping around for your materials - it's all money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Jesus I'd say there are a half-dozen in here all with their own motives pushing products lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

tommy21 wrote: »
    Jesus I'd say there are a half-dozen in here all with their own motives pushing products lol.

Haha, Nice one Tommy.

I wouldn't mind, I've just gone to to the trouble of getting plasterers in to board up and re-skim the gable wall of my house - came back last night to see how they boarded up - would have done a better job myself with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back.

There are gaps around my window board that you could fit your hand into. Boards are all in and out. So much for bringing in the professionals!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

an alternative for easy DIY would be that 3mm thick roll of polystyrene foam that you put on like wallpaper

it's very thin so not great stuff, but it will be a lot thicker than the paint

also may have mould problems if you get condensation behind it - if you have a very old building that is

• Registered Users Posts: 29 giggles555

christ i was just about to go out and buy a tin of the warmcoat insulation paint! i have very little money and a mobile home to try insulate... so warmcoat aside... what do ye think of the foil back slabs or double foil sided bubble wrap and pasterboard slab... realyy lost as to what the best way to go is!

Advertisement