Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worth Watching?

• 30-08-2010 5:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I know I will and have already came under quite a lot of flack for saying this but I've just finished watching the first season of the Wire. I've got to say that I'm quite unimpressed with it. I liked the way thought and effort were obviously put into designing things like the logistics of Barksdale's operation. I just felt that there wasn't a lot of character development and it was all a bit straightforward. I finished watching Oz recently and I didn't get into it at all until season 2 after which I watched most of season 3 in a day.
    To cut to the chase, then. Was season 1 what the whole show is like or is it more like the beginning of a book in that it needs a lot more time to get into?
    Cheers!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

It gets better than season one but if your thinking "UGH" after the first series then dont waste your time.

Series two is deadly though. on second thoughts id say if you don't like series two then don't watch on because you do learn a bit more about the series one characters in the second series with another 3rd storyline being introduced. Its separate but interlinked to the series one characters

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not sure if I would say "UGH" but for being called "the best show of all time" by virtually everyone I thought it would have been better. Oz definitely picked up after season 1 and I thought the first few episodes were pure genius after watching the later ones. I might give series 2 a chance before writing it off completely.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

i suppose if you watch a show after being called the best show of all time it has a lot of pressure on it. I would just say It's a really likeable show because of the characters being likeable. (even the barksdales)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

TBH, I think it was more the pressure because I don't really think it did anything wrong. The writing was good and the cast were incredible. I just felt it was somewhat slow. Then again, the Shield is my favorite show of all time so that probably has something to do with it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm not sure you should continue to watch if you didn't like the first season. It's not a fast-paced show and the plots unfold slowly and character development does too - just like it would in real life.

It's definitely not like "The Shield" which is a much less subtle show (but excellent too and one my favourites) nor is it like "Oz" which has a very fast pace (killing characters off in the same episode they're introduced). It's more demanding in some of its subtleties. I've seen every episode of each of these shows and they're all excellent but "The Wire" stands out for me for being the best crafted and most intelligent.

Try Season 2 for a few episodes - it explores different areas and has some interesting new characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

TBH, I think it was more the pressure because I don't really think it did anything wrong. The writing was good and the cast were incredible. I just felt it was somewhat slow. Then again, the Shield is my favorite show of all time so that probably has something to do with it.

Have you watched the Sopranos? Vic Mackey is definitely "inspired" by Tony Soprano - i.e. a fundamentally evil bastid who still tries to do the right thing (sometimes). It's not as fast paced as the Shield (but hardly anything is). The episodes are more standalone than the Wire.

JIMHO season 2 of the Wire was a bit of a PIA and if you really didn't like season 1 I'd be surprised if you like season 2.

Hey,

I've gotten the loan of the season 1 boxset from a mate who's moved away but never got round to watching it. Heard really good things about it though. What does PIA mean though?
    I enjoyed the episode where Kimma (hope that is spelt right) goes undercover and was thinking that they were just laying groundwork at the start of the season. I might give season 2 a chance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

What does PIA mean though?

PIA = pain in the ass

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

JIMHO season 2 of the Wire was a bit of a PIA and if you really didn't like season 1 I'd be surprised if you like season 2.

Funnily enough, I thought Season 2 was the best of all of them, much more interesting characters and lots going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i would definly watch season 2 before you make up your mind, its not a show that you can just pick up any episode and understand whats going on, each season is to do with a different part of the city, season 2 is about the docks, 4 is about schools etc. the characters do get more developed through the seasons. and there are all interlinked. give it a watch

• Advertisement

PIA = pain in the ass

Hadn't seen that one. Ta.

Overature wrote: »
    i would definly watch season 2 before you make up your mind, its not a show that you can just pick up any episode and understand whats going on, each season is to do with a different part of the city, season 2 is about the docks, 4 is about schools etc. the characters do get more developed through the seasons. and there are all interlinked. give it a watch

I think I will. I'd really hate to deprive myself of a good quality show just because it does things a bit differently. I think I'll give season 2 a chance, especially if they flesh out the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Hey guys,

I know I will and have already came under quite a lot of flack for saying this but I've just finished watching the first season of the Wire. I've got to say that I'm quite unimpressed with it. I liked the way thought and effort were obviously put into designing things like the logistics of Barksdale's operation. I just felt that there wasn't a lot of character development and it was all a bit straightforward. I finished watching Oz recently and I didn't get into it at all until season 2 after which I watched most of season 3 in a day.
    To cut to the chase, then. Was season 1 what the whole show is like or is it more like the beginning of a book in that it needs a lot more time to get into?
    Cheers!

You have come to this show with a shield mindset you have to reboot those expectations to enjoy this show, wire is more like a police procedural where the victim is the city of Baltimore and the characters are but tools to explore the why's and wherefores of its demise .

1st season - the projects
    2nd season - the docks
    3rd season - city hall
    4th season - the school system
    5th season - the media

So you see the city itself is where the main character development is to be found (that said prez has a pretty good arc from being a **** up to being a pretty decent "police")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I watched season 1 and thought it was good, bu certainly not the best show ever people were calling it, but by season 3 I did finally get what people were raving about, think of it as one massive 5 part series instead of different seasons and it makes it worth it, the characters develop over time, its not simple "hes a good guy" terms, take McNulty, the (mostly) central character of the show, hes a complete prick in some episodes and a loveable guy in others, self destructive yet self aware as well.

Stick with it imo, the 2nd season is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Started watching this last night. Going by what every one has said about it I'll definitely give the whole of series 1 a go anyway, and see if I'm into it enough for series 2. Liking it so far anyhoo.....

Just about a quarter into season 4 now. I'm liking it much better than season 1 anyway. I'd say it was original when it came out originally but the drug thing has been done heavily. The Port is much more interesting IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Does the film/picture quality improve in Series 2?

Ive just watched series 1 on DVD and it has the quality of a 90's TV show. I originally thought it was part of the show and it was supposed to be based in the 1990's but this aint the case.
    Maybe its just me but it dosent seem as crisp or vivid as modern TV series'.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

I watched season 1-5 over the summer and found it to be exceptional - couldnt wait to get home after work each day for my Wire fix and felt bereft when finished. What I cant understand though is why everybody raves about season 2? I found it really slow overall and was urged to stick with it - everybody agreed season 2 was poor in relation to all the others - so why so popular with boardsies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I watched season 1-5 over the summer and found it to be exceptional - couldnt wait to get home after work each day for my Wire fix and felt bereft when finished. What I cant understand though is why everybody raves about season 2? I found it really slow overall and was urged to stick with it - everybody agreed season 2 was poor in relation to all the others - so why so popular with boardsies?

Most have probably seen it a second time. When you watch it second time round you see how good it really is. The first time there are a lot of new characters thrown in so that is off-putting but when you are watching a second time and you know the characters better,you can see how good season 2 really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I found it really slow overall and was urged to stick with it - everybody agreed season 2 was poor in relation to all the others - so why so popular with boardsies?

I only know one person who said she really didn't like Season 2. The reason she gave was that she wasn't as interested in the topics it dealt with as the other seasons. Whereas another friend of mine who's really into labour history thinks Season 2 was the best.

I think you really need to watch all seasons twice to get the most out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I only know one person who said she really didn't like Season 2. The reason she gave was that she wasn't as interested in the topics it dealt with as the other seasons. Whereas another friend of mine who's really into labour history thinks Season 2 was the best.

I think you really need to watch all seasons twice to get the most out of them.

I absolutely love the Wire but Season 2 is by far my least favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Season 2 is probably my favourite, when I watched the whole thing the second time, the acting and scripting is top notch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

tvnutz wrote: »
    Most have probably seen it a second time. When you watch it second time round you see how good it really is. The first time there are a lot of new characters thrown in so that is off-putting but when you are watching a second time and you know the characters better,you can see how good season 2 really is.

I completely agree with this. I've watched the first four seasons and really enjoyed them but decided to re-watch from the beginning before watching the final year and I'm enjoying it even more second time around. I'm really picking up on things that I missed the first time around and some characters who really merged into one originally seem more like individuals and personalities now.

I also think that the key to watching The Wire is not watching a load of episodes back to back. I tend to watch three or four episodes a week, and rarely more than one a night. That gives me time to reflect on the show before watching the next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

The Wire repays time and concentration like no other show, that's why it's the best. No other show develops so many characters or demonstrates how the systemic failures of a city (or by extension, a nation) affect society. Magnificent stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Season 2 is my favourite season by a mile!

Great storyline,great new characters(Ziggy,Niko,Beadie,The Greek)and some very funny moments too.

And Frank Sobotka is my fave wire character,just edging out Bunny Colvin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I loved the Wire. It took about six episodes to get into it but I was saving the last few of the final season because I didn't want to let it go.

Most other TV series that I watched didn't know when to stop. The Wire must have been well thought out from the start.

Season 2 is my favourite season by a mile!

Great storyline,great new characters(Ziggy,Niko,Beadie,The Greek)and some very funny moments too.

And Frank Sobotka is my fave wire character,just edging out Bunny Colvin

That one I will concede. The Wire has some seriously funny moments. Best one so far was sending McNulty into the brothel or the "You know why I respect you, Bunk" scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Mad Benny wrote: »
    I loved the Wire. It took about six episodes to get into it but I was saving the last few of the final season because I didn't want to let it go.

Most other TV series that I watched didn't know when to stop. The Wire must have been well thought out from the start.

The creators were offered the chance by HBO to make a sixth season which dealt with the rising number of Hispanics in Baltimore but they declined saying how they didn't know enough about it to make the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

worth watching?

I am extremely jealous that you are yet to experience the 5 seasons of the greatest tv show, of all time,

Poor charcter development, you got to be kidding me, possibly the greatest character development of all time. I could go on, but I wont

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 ballybunionlad

" Yo, Omar comin' "

Omar gots to be up there with best characters of all time.

Up there with:

Tony Soprano

Al Swearengen

Vick Mackey

Definitely stick with The Wire.

I'm also quite jealous of people who have yet to watch it..... When the final episode is over all other tv seems futile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

....or the "You know why I respect you, Bunk" scene.

Love that scene :D

Advertisement