Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly Moving to Fancourt Heights Balbriggan

Options
  • 30-08-2010 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm from the States and currently looking to rent a place in Fancourt Heights but don't know much about the area. Is it fairly safe? What amenities are nearby? Is Balbriggan Train Station an OK walk every morning and night from there? Things to do around there?

Any info would be much appreciated!! Thanks =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Fancourt Heights is an excellent part of Balbriggan, a really settled estate that's been there at least 20 years, probably more. It would be regarded as very safe and right beside the beach. The train station is very close by foot as you simply have to go through the underground tunnel to reach it.

You're about a 10-15 minute walk from the town centre where you will find most amenities to suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭poochierockz

Fancourt Heights is an excellent part of Balbriggan, a really settled estate that's been there at least 20 years, probably more. It would be regarded as very safe and right beside the beach. The train station is very close by foot as you simply have to go through the underground tunnel to reach it.

You're about a 10-15 minute walk from the town centre where you will find most amenities to suit you.

Thanks a million Frank, that sounds great! although the underground tunnel to get to the train station kind of worries me! Is that fairly safe, used by many?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Thanks a million Frank, that sounds great! although the underground tunnel to get to the train station kind of worries me! Is that fairly safe, used by many?
    It's only a ten meter subway under the rail line. You don't need to use it as there are alternative ways to walk.

You won't go wrong with Fancourt Heights. It's a very quiet place with roughly 90%+ of houses being owner occupied in private ownership. A majority would be living there since the houses were built in the early 1970s.

Wonderful sea views stretching from Balbriggan to the Mourne Mountains from some of the houses

Bluetonic wrote: »
    It's only a ten meter subway under the rail line. You don't need to use it as there are alternative ways to walk.

You won't go wrong with Fancourt Heights. It's a very quiet place with roughly 90%+ of houses being owner occupied in private ownership. A majority would be living there since the houses were built in the early 1970s.

Wonderful sea views stretching from Balbriggan to the Mourne Mountains from some of the houses

ahh fantastic, thanks so much for the info! I was worried about walking to and from the train station everyday and the distance but it doesnt seem that long at all now. The sea views are definitely a plus! I was deciding between Fancourt Heights and the Laurels in Balbriggan which is right near the train station. Will have to weigh the pros and cons of both! Thanks again for the info!

Bear in mind the Laurels is beside a busy pub and nightclub. It would be quite noisy at the weekend.

Have you viewed both?

• Advertisement

Bear in mind the Laurels is beside a busy pub and nightclub. It would be quite noisy at the weekend.

Have you viewed both?

Yeah i heard that the Laurels can be quite noisy but I'm not too fussed about that. I havent viewed anything yet because Im still living in the states. Im moving over at the end of the month and wanted to secure a place for October 1st, just finishing off work here until then.

I wasn't so sure if I should secure a place now or get one when I get there. I don't want to have to stay in a hostel before finding a place. So i'm not sure what i should do at the moment, but Im definitely interested in those 2 places from what I've seen.

As you haven't seen them here's a better image than Google/Bing maps to show you them in relation to each other and the train station. FH in red, Laurels in blue.

Train station is where the train is stopped.

f0ykqd.jpg

As you haven't seen them here's a better image than Google/Bing maps to show you them in relation to each other and the train station. FH in red, Laurels in blue.

Train station is where the train is stopped.

WOW!! thats excellent! that really helps a lot, thanks!!

FH looks like quite a bit of a walk :( looks like a lovely area nonetheless.

FH looks like quite a bit of a walk :( looks like a lovely area nonetheless.
    It's a little over one km. It takes ten minutes at a less than brisk walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Its less than a ten minute walk from FH to the train station. Balbriggan is not all that big.

As the others said FH is a lovely settled estate, right on the sea. What more do you want.

The Laurels, on the other hand, is a recent build and is right beside a busy pub and nightclub. You probably won't get too much sleep over the weekend.

I know which one I'd choose to live in.

• Advertisement

pithater1 wrote: »
    Its less than a ten minute walk from FH to the train station. Balbriggan is not all that big.

As the others said FH is a lovely settled estate, right on the sea. What more do you want.

The Laurels, on the other hand, is a recent build and is right beside a busy pub and nightclub. You probably won't get too much sleep over the weekend.

I know which one I'd choose to live in.

Well I was just offered the place for October 1st if the owner can't get anyone in sooner so i accepted her offer! Can't wait to live beside the sea! I could use the 10 minute walk back and forth to the train anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

hi Poochierocks, Im in fancourt and its lovely.It takes me 10 mins - to walk down the street to the train.
    Neighbours and nice.Hope you like it,Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭shellyb73

I grew up in Fancourt Heights, you will enjoy it nice and peaceful, nice neighbours, best of luck!!

Thanks a million guys, I can't wait to move back!! Couting down the days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

shellyb73 wrote: »
    I grew up in Fancourt Heights, you will enjoy it nice and peaceful, nice neighbours, best of luck!!

Hmmm, who would you be, I wonder? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

blastman wrote: »

*whispers to Blastman* "who is it?"

24 years living in Fancourt Heights and it's a great spot. I really miss it now that I'm living in the city. I miss the quietness, the friendly neighbours, the sea air and the millions of stars you can see on a clear night.

I wouldn't live in the Laurels or anywhere near that nightclub if you paid me. I don't know how anyone copes on the weekends. It'd be a walking difference of about 5 minutes to the train OP. Fancourt Heights would definitely be the one I'd go for.

Chinafoot wrote: »

24 years living in Fancourt Heights and it's a great spot. I really miss it now that I'm living in the city. I miss the quietness, the friendly neighbours, the sea air and the millions of stars you can see on a clear night.

I wouldn't live in the Laurels or anywhere near that nightclub if you paid me. I don't know how anyone copes on the weekends. It'd be a walking difference of about 5 minutes to the train OP. Fancourt Heights would definitely be the one I'd go for.

Well unfortunately, the person who offered me the room isnt getting back to me about the place at all so I'm guessing they got another person in :(

Gonna have to go back to looking for a place. I'm feeling the crunch as I'm moving in just a few weeks and there aren't that many places around there that are near the train or at least within walking distance. The laurels aren't available anymore either. If anyone else is offering a place in Fancourt, or somewhere within walking distance to the train, you know how to reach me! :D

Ah no! Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you've probably seen these two already but no harm in sticking them here again just in case...

www.daft.ie/3589728
    www.daft.ie/3598064

The second one does have a move in date of the 20th of September but you could always ask if they could wait a week or so? :)

Ah no! Sorry to hear that. I'm sure you've probably seen these two already but no harm in sticking them here again just in case...

www.daft.ie/3589728
    www.daft.ie/3598064

The second one does have a move in date of the 20th of September but you could always ask if they could wait a week or so? :)

Thanks! The first one was actually the one that offered me the place hah.

The second one I actually saw JUST before you posted!! I'm going to give him a buzz tomorrow and see if he'd be willing to wait that one week for me! :D Fingers crossed he will!

Thanks! The first one was actually the one that offered me the place hah.

The second one I actually saw JUST before you posted!! I'm going to give him a buzz tomorrow and see if he'd be willing to wait that one week for me! :D Fingers crossed he will!

Oh best of luck!! Hopefully he'll say yes! :)

• Advertisement

Oh best of luck!! Hopefully he'll say yes! :)

No response unfortunately! I'm finding it harder and harder to get a place. No one wants me in without meeting me, which of course is understandable. I think my only option at the moment is to just stay in a hostel for awhile and then visit as many flats as possible. Just not a fan of spending the extra money, ah well!

*whispers back* No idea, they've gone into hiding, I think

Who would you be? :)

*whispers back* No idea, they've gone into hiding, I think

:D

No response unfortunately! I'm finding it harder and harder to get a place. No one wants me in without meeting me, which of course is understandable. I think my only option at the moment is to just stay in a hostel for awhile and then visit as many flats as possible. Just not a fan of spending the extra money, ah well!

Thats a pity, have you no one here that could act on your behalf? Like a gaurentor??
    Best of luck with the move

Who would you be? :)

Is 73 the year of birth or the number of your house? :)

Thats a pity, have you no one here that could act on your behalf? Like a gaurentor??
    Best of luck with the move

Finally got a place!! Not in Fancourts but a nice place nonetheless!! 2 more weeks!! :D

Advertisement