Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything stronger than Aluminium Repair Tape?

• 30-08-2010 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭

I've got a couple of small holes in the ridge of an old Corrigated Galvanised Iron shed which I'm painting atm.

I'm looking for something to repair the holes with or rather patch the holes with. Aluminium repair tape seems the best thing I can think of but is there anything similar that is thicker? A thin repair sheet of say aluminium would be nice with a really strong glue if such a thing exists?

Reason I'm looking for something as strong as possible is that I guess the small holes are surounded underneath with area's of rust so anthing that will help hold it together would be good.

Waterproof, strong adhesive, paintable and as thick as possible are what I'm looking for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Only thing i can think of at the minute:repair patch

Never used one, but seems like it would do a better job than the tape? Maybe someone else has used one, see how good or bad they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

@ Davy might give that a try, I was trying to stear clear of fiberglass as it means a lot more preparation (may need to remove lots of layers of oil based paint stuck to a fragile base), but I have one bad area where it will be worth the effort so that might be ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think you can get an aluminium flashing tape that is tar backed on aluminium foil.
    Good stuff, really sticky and strong adhesion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think you can get an aluminium flashing tape that is tar backed on aluminium foil.
    Good stuff, really sticky and strong adhesion.

Thats the one I was going to use it even comes in different widths so I could cover the whole ridge quite easily (which I might do while I'm up there) but I was asking in case the is something with a thicker backing (the alu bit) that migth give it a bit more mechanical strenght.

Advertisement