Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Micro$oft to increase price of xbox live

• 30-08-2010 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

Microsoft are going to increase the price of gold in the U.S. and the UK (I don't know about Ireland but I presume it will ) :mad: I am not going to top up my gold again if the price increase effects Ireland. Why do they continue to add useless features that you can get for free on the PC such as last fm, facebook and twitter :rolleyes:

Source: http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/30/price-change-for-xbox-live-gold-subscription.aspx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ThatsOurGaming

They are always trying to squeez money of us grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 17 lorin1234567

if they do I am just going to buy a f*cking ps3 -.-
    I get enough stick from my friends about paying for online gaming like hell im going to pay even more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thebox

UK
    Current
    1M Gold: 4.99 GBP
    Starting Nov 1, 2010
    1M Gold: 5.99 GBP

this is the only price increase for the uk so assume it will be same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

"I wanted to let you know that as of November 1, 2010 we are increasing the price of an Xbox LIVE for some members. This price increase only affects Xbox LIVE Members in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom or the United States."

do people read things anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Rant fail! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Don't think this increase will effect the Euro zone. Haven't found any mention of the price going up here in Ireland.

It can't go up because they haven't offered us anything extra here on the Live service to justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ireland is not in the UK in the context of XBox Live so not only did you sound silly using the term "Micro$oft", your rant also failed. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

aom2v4.jpg

As for the increase:
    "There is no defending the price increase at all but I see it as paying a cover charge for a bar where all my friends are drinking at. Sure I could go down the street and drink at the bar with no cover charge... but I'd be drinking alone.£

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I think it's safe to assume Ireland won't be effected directly, however how many of us use the sucker way of buying live i.e through the dashboard? Most of us in the know buy off ebay or live-codes et-al and these are sourced usually from UK sellers. But doesn't look like they are upping the pric eon 12 months for now so storm in a tea cup I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

people are saying it won't effect Ireland but surely most people here buy their subs off the likes of live-codes who sell in £ sterling (I know i do anyway, hell of a lot cheaper).
    Although as stated above it only appears to be the 1month subs in the UK so hopefully no change to the 12month

Edit: Darn calex, beat me to it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

thebox wrote: »
    UK
    Current
    1M Gold: 4.99 GBP
    Starting Nov 1, 2010
    1M Gold: 5.99 GBP

this is the only price increase for the uk so assume it will be same here

lol

LETS BURN THE ****IN MICROSOFT BUILDING DOWNNN!

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    lol

I'll start passing around the pitch forks you light the torches :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    lol

its in sandyford industrial estate in dublin the building name is the atrium lol lets go:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hah the Kotaku post about it has 2000+ comments already :pac:

Doesn't seem to be affecting us, so maybe no need to panic. The 59.99 it brings it up to in the US is still cheaper than our standard rate of 60 euro, though.

Personally speaking, this wouldn't be the worst thing that has ever happened. It has stayed the same for the best part of a decade, a price hike after that long isn't entirely unreasonable.

Uh oh, I forgot I was on the internet when I said that.

Indeed, and on top of the fact that there has not been any price increase in that period, there have been several features added along the way which haven't been charged for. Of course we haven't gotten the best of those features yet i.e. Netflix, but it's not like a one pound increase on one tier is going to kill anyone, is it? As for the UK issue, well again I think its' just for that one-month tier rather than the 6 and 12 month tiers so again, not much to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

It only affects the one month sub though, for the UK at least, so it still shouldn't affect us

Jev/N wrote: »
    It only affects the one month sub though, for the UK at least, so it still shouldn't affect us

Yep, Major Nelson has amended his post:
    Again, the only subscription packages impacted are those mentioned above. For instance, the 12m UK Price? Not affected since it is not mentioned above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

For once it's actually better/cheaper for us not to be in America/UK?

I dunno, I'll have to read up on it more. Price increase, i'm sure they'll stick in some new features.....it sure sucks that the 50 euro price-tag for the game doesn't cover free online. But people are willing to pay for the better service, so there ya go, really.

I also love discussing things like this with Irish people. So much more reasonable :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It isn't going up here, and in the UK it's only the 1 month that's going up. If you look around on the internet you can buy a year of Gold, usually the 12+1 Month, for €45. I think Play had one recently.

If you can afford a console, a HDTV and games, you can afford a yearly payment of €45. That's less than €3.50 a month, it costs more than €3.50 for me to get the bus into town and back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I'm so sick of microsoft and their greedy overpricing ways. The psp, ds, pc, ps3, wii and even some phones have free online gaming. I know you can cross game chat on xbox live but thats not enough to justify paying so much.

And whats more baffling is that some previous posters are giving the impression that its ok to increase prices and sher whats another €2 a month. Are you serious??

It says the uk only but you can be sure the rest of europe will have to follow suit next year, and the minute there is an increase announced for Ireland, i'm getting rid of xbl. I have a ps3 too so i will be moving to psn 100% which also will mean all my games will be bought for ps3. It seems like the xbox is in serious trouble up against the ps3 as it is without have to pay more to play my online games. Microsoft should be abolishing the payment, or at least reducing it, the world is in recession and i think they have gotten enough out of us already.

This could end up being the final nail in the coffin for the xbox and,tbh, it would serve microsoft right.

• Advertisement

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    I know you can cross game chat on xbox live but thats not enough to justify paying so much.
    Cross game chat is only one aspect of the service.
    And whats more baffling is that some previous posters are giving the impression that its ok to increase prices and sher whats another €2 a month. Are you serious??
    No one said this. What was said was that since it's launch eight years ago the cost of the service has not increased yet its features has. As such the increase they're looking for, $1.20 extra per month, isn't too much to ask.
    It seems like the xbox is in serious trouble up against the ps3 as it is without have to pay more to play my online games. Microsoft should be abolishing the payment, or at least reducing it, the world is in recession and i think they have gotten enough out of us already.
    No it's not, it's still outselling the PS3 and already has a 5m unit lead. The Live service is also comparatively better so for most people don't mind paying the paltry price for it. Also why would they reduce it when the other platform holders will more than likely be moving towards subscription schemes in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

To be honest lads xbox live is too expensive not to complain about it, while its not going to affect us in the land of green, all downloadable content is usually always overpriced, and the whole paying for membership annoys me at times but I am sucker for xbox live, why not even bring down the price of games, sorry to blaberr on but in comparison to the uk we get ripped off :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

gizmo wrote: »
    Cross game chat is only one aspect of the service.

No one said this. What was said was that since it's launch eight years ago the cost of the service has not increased yet its features has. As such the increase they're looking for, $1.20 extra per month, isn't too much to ask.

No it's not, it's still outselling the PS3 and already has a 5m unit lead. The Live service is also comparatively better so for most people don't mind paying the paltry price for it. Also why would they reduce it when the other platform holders will more than likely be moving towards subscription schemes in the future?

I only play online games so the only difference i see, is with the cross game chat. The facebook and twitter things are rubbish, the sky needs another subscription before you can use it and if i was to watch online movies with it, my internet company would be laughing all the way to the bank. So these new features don't affect me in anyway whatsoever, so my point is why should i have to pay more to use the same features i did since the 360 came out? Maybe they should have a platinum option for people who want to use and pay for these features??

I have only been with xbl since the 360 and i think its a fantastic service but its just the whole principal of it. If you add up over the years how much people have spent on playing games online(that they've already paid for down the gameshop), its ridiculous and the fact that i'm on my 3rd or 4th 360 due to rrod, it just makes me mad.

I'm not even going to get into sales numbers with you, i couldn't care less. I just get the impression that ps3 has become the hot console of the moment, thats all.

I only play online games so the only difference i see, is with the cross game chat.
    As I said, the cross game chat is only one aspect of the service. It's closely tied into the party and invite system, all of which combined make for a fantastically integrated online system. Having attempted to go without it myself when playing some games with my mates on the PS3, I found myself quite frustrated and was certainly glad to get back to it after we had moved back to BC2.
    The facebook and twitter things are rubbish, the sky needs another subscription before you can use it and if i was to watch online movies with it, my internet company would be laughing all the way to the bank. So these new features don't affect me in anyway whatsoever, so my point is why should i have to pay more to use the same features i did since the 360 came out? Maybe they should have a platinum option for people who want to use and pay for these features??
    Well there are certainly some good points in there, it would be nice to be able to pick and choose what features get integrated but remember, the revenue MS receive from the service is used to develop this new functionality and while you may not like the feature-set now, that's not to say you won't love the next addition they make. It's a relatively small price to pay imo.
    I have only been with xbl since the 360 and i think its a fantastic service but its just the whole principal of it. If you add up over the years how much people have spent on playing games online(that they've already paid for down the gameshop), its ridiculous and the fact that i'm on my 3rd or 4th 360 due to rrod, it just makes me mad.
    The principle is that running a service like XBL or PSN isn't cheap and it needs to be paid for. XBL went with their sub model while Sony decided to stick with free play. Personally I don't think this will last and I'm sure they're looking at the stats for PSN+ to see how it could be migrated to everyone else in the coming years. As for the game price, none of that is supposed to cover your online costs so the point is moot.
    I'm not even going to get into sales numbers with you, i couldn't care less. I just get the impression that ps3 has become the hot console of the moment, thats all.
    Ah, that's fair enough. I'm merely highlighting you'd be wrong in that assumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

People buy 1 month subscriptions? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

AdMMM wrote: »
    People buy 1 month subscriptions? :o

And people pay full price for subscriptions? ... Looks like that Sticky on top of this Forum is really worth it, eh? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

A few of the online retailers have increased the cost of their 12 month subs and are blaming MS :rolleyes: won't be buying anymore points or subs of them that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Ian Beale wrote: »
    A few of the online retailers have increased the cost of their 12 month subs and are blaming MS :rolleyes: won't be buying anymore points or subs of them that's for sure.
    Care to name names?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,785 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I still don't get why we have to pay for the privilege of peer to peer gaming, it's not like they have any dedicated servers to maintain unlike Sony which does so for many of it's games. MS can **** right off tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Care to name names?

Sorry about that, forgot to paste the links,
    http://electronicfirst.com/
    and the other one also ran by ef is www.cheapxboxlivecodes.com , they put the price up by £3.00

Advertisement