Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Micro$oft to increase price of xbox live

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I still don't get why we have to pay for the privilege of peer to peer gaming, it's not like they have any dedicated servers to maintain unlike Sony which does so for many of it's games. MS can **** right off tbh.
    You're not paying exclusively for P2P gaming, you're paying for the rest of the service and the development of new features therein. Also Sony only run dedicated servers for a handful of games so it's a bit unfair to make that comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »
    Also Sony only run dedicated servers for a handful of games so it's a bit unfair to make that comparison.

It is only a handful but that handful happens to be most of the first party games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

990913330_CZbtN-L.jpg

I found that amusing...

I did lol alright. That being said, is "cheevos" a popular name? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Meh the trophy and acievement whores have a completely different mindset to normal people, i assume language is wired differently too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

That being said, is "cheevos" a popular name? :eek:
    No, never seen it before, PA probably came up with it as it just sounds hilarious(ly bad).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

PS3 online is free......

WHYYYYYYYYY!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Cheevos is a popular word used by ppl who hunt for them/ are part of achievement hunting groups eg - trueachievements.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

HxGH wrote: »
    PS3 online is free......

WHYYYYYYYYY!?

cause it's crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Liam O wrote: »
    cause it's crap

It's not by the way, there is very little difference between 360 and PS3 online.

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »
    It's not by the way, there is very little difference between 360 and PS3 online.
    I responded to this in another thread before and I think it's quite relevant here too...
    You know I was thinking the same thing last night as I booted up my console...

I noticed some of my friends were online so I joined their party for a quick chat as I was finishing off a level of Afro Samurai while they were playing Red Dead Redemption. We caught up over the next 10mins and, after finishing the level I was on in Afro, we decided to play some Bad Company 2 together. I started up the game, sent them some invites as they were finishing up in RDR and we then created a squad from the guys in our party and played for a few hours.

Later, one of the guys mentioned that Mega Man 10 was in the Deal Of The Week so I dropped out, checked the latest Game Demos available and grabbed the Trial version quickly. It looked great and was 50% off so I grabbed it just before the guys re-invited me back into the game from the party I was still in. They also mentioned that the Summer Of Arcade is starting with even more sweet games coming out.

Now, what console am I talking about?

Needless to say I disagree with your assertion. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

cause it's crap

I find that when people provide a statement like that with out backing it up your better off ignoring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Meh, I don't mind. Xbox Live is a brilliant service that's light years ahead of the competition and worth the money. A minor increase in the fee doesn't really bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

cause it's crap

Its not at all to be honest. I own an xbox and only use the ps3 at friends houses. There is no difference from what I can see. Lag is the same, connecting to games etc = all the same.

To have one free and one costing 40-60 quid a year is a bit mad really.

Still I think xbox live is worth it just I cant understand why people say the ps3 online is ****e when it isnt.

Id love people to point out whats actually better about xbox live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

joe123 wrote: »

Oh no he didn't... Time to put on your learning pants boy!

The last thing a man should do is ask that question in the xbox forum.

joe123 wrote: »
    Didn't I do just that literally three posts above you?

I responded to this in another thread before and I think it's quite relevant here too...

Needless to say I disagree with your assertion. :)

Fair enough, I did say "very little difference" and I'd consider that a little difference, Live is more convenient. I've never had an experience like that myself, and if that's worth 40 quid a year to ya have at it!

I'm a Gold subscriber myself, and split my time fairly evenly between PS3 (admittedly I lean more towards the PS3, and if force to choose between the two I'd go for the PS3) but in terms of actually playing games online there is very little difference between the two, and the gap is constantly shrinking. Xbox live is really good, I'm not arguing that it isn't, I'm saying that just because that may be true doesn't automatically mean PS3 online is sh*te as he was putting it. Fanboyism does my head in, that's what I was responding to. PS3 is perfectly fine online, Xbox Live is a bit more convenient and stream-lined but it's not like it's impossible to play games online on PS3, and I find it hard sometimes to justify the price of Live to myself, but saying that, I would be fairly certain that Sony will be copying Microsoft's model and not the other way around and we'll be paying to play both online.

I totally agree, saying PSN is ****e just isn't true and it reeks of fanboyism.

What is equally an unfair point to make though is this "paying to play online" idea. With XBL you're paying for the entire service, as I outlined above, not just the ability to play online. For the paltry sum XBL costs per year I think said service and the continued development of it is well worth it. There are those who disagree of course but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

I totally agree, saying PSN is ****e just isn't true and it reeks of fanboyism.

What is equally an unfair point to make though is this "paying to play online" idea. With XBL you're paying for the entire service, as I outlined above, not just the ability to play online. For the paltry sum XBL costs per year I think said service and the continued development of it is well worth it. There are those who disagree of course but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

Yeah I'd generally agree that Live is worth it in the long run, there's just the odd month that goes by that I rarely use it. If we had the same features as the US it'd easily be worth it. I'd love Netflix. Don't mind paying for Live at all, just bemoan the fact the odd day (usually renewal day funnily enough!)

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Yeah I'd generally agree that Live is worth it in the long run, there's just the odd month that goes by that I rarely use it. If we had the same features as the US it'd easily be worth it. I'd love Netflix. Don't mind paying for Live at all, just bemoan the fact the odd day (usually renewal day funnily enough!)
    Hah, so true! :D

Also totally agree on the features the US service gets, I really would kill for Netflix. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I was reading this today and thought i'd post it as it seems relevant to this thread http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=263859
    More evidence that xbl is overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

This is the same Valve that raged at Sony until a few weeks ago, right?

Also to whoever put a dollar sign in the thread title:
    215178115_ExTPi-L-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Also to whoever put a dollar sign in the thread title
    I see your post #53, and raise you post #9 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

The price increase is perfectly reasonable. The GBP and the Dollar have gone down significantly in value, the price of XBL in US and UK was going down with the currency, now it's being fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

mines due to run out the end of the month, and i saw on the one of the tickers on start up 12 months for £23.99 and a free add on for your avatar.
    might do that tonight if its going to jump up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Remember, if you renew via the console / credit card that it will automatically renew at the end of your Sub. Probably at the original price, not the discounted one.

Just something to remember for 11 months time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

blaze1 wrote: »
    mines due to run out the end of the month, and i saw on the one of the tickers on start up 12 months for £23.99 and a free add on for your avatar.
    might do that tonight if its going to jump up
    special offer on mine is €35.99. That's some ****e €/£ conversion rate. Still a good offer tho'.

Advertisement