Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken windows - who pays?

Options
  • 30-08-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just wondering who is liable to pay for a window that has cracked through no fault of the tenants. Inside pane of window just cracked, no reason for it. We're guessing it was a manufacturers' defect or due to the heating and cooling over the winter. Happened in January, landlord repaired it in April but are now getting ratty and want us to pay for it. In the lease we signed it said tenants were liable for repairing windows. This is standard but surely if it was a defect in the window landlord should pay?

We have been in contact with Threshold previously and as far as I can see this is repercussions for not playing ball with all their whims and unreasonable demands previously.

Any advice gladly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How much are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

pooch90 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering who is liable to pay for a window that has cracked through no fault of the tenants. Inside pane of window just cracked, no reason for it. We're guessing it was a manufacturers' defect or due to the heating and cooling over the winter. Happened in January, landlord repaired it in April but are now getting ratty and want us to pay for it. In the lease we signed it said tenants were liable for repairing windows. This is standard but surely if it was a defect in the window landlord should pay?

We have been in contact with Threshold previously and as far as I can see this is repercussions for not playing ball with all their whims and unreasonable demands previously.

Any advice gladly appreciated.

If it says it in your lease that you signed in agreement with then you're liable for any broken windows.

Are they new windows? Perhaps the landlord would have some sort of warranty?

Landlord pays

And get it fixed quickly, offer to get a tradesman and deduct from rent if the landlord stalls.

I've been in this situation.
    Broken window in the front door when we moved in. Landlord never fixed it and some fecker pushed it in and was able to open the door and burgle the place.

Realy, it was an invitation to anyone passing by to get the front door open, we were asking to get burgled.

So get it fixed

There's a big difference between moving into somewhere with something broken and something breaking while you're living there and after you've agreed to pay for such breakages.

Plus the op said it was fixed last April so I don't know why you're suggesting he get a tradesman in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

No advice, but just wanted to say that this happened to me. Had been in the house for a few weeks and the inside pane of the window just cracked by itself. The guy who replaced it also broke the new pane - said it was a really tight fight. So maybe it's an integral fault in the house. My landlord paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

planetX wrote: »
    No advice, but just wanted to say that this happened to me. Had been in the house for a few weeks and the inside pane of the window just cracked by itself. The guy who replaced it also broke the new pane - said it was a really tight fight. So maybe it's an integral fault in the house. My landlord paid for it.

Doesn't really matter now - they have decided to "sell up".
    Purely to get rid of us, of course, as we have had the cheek to think of the place as our home and that they could not come in unannounced and remove things on a whim.

On the bright side, we wanted out anyway at this stage (months of bickering with landlord over respecting our rights) and they have been angling to screw us out of our deposit since.
    This way, as it's unexpected, I have no choice but to use my rent as a deposit for my new home!
    I get my deposit back, they get rid of perfect tenants and they get to eventually re-rent - along with all the other vacancies in the village. Smart business move there.

And we're lodging a complaint to the PRTB (unregistered)over breaching tenancy rights and for having no BER - along with a potential for a little wrongful termination of tenancy depending on how things pan out!

Advertisement