Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic tools to build my PC

Options
  • 30-08-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I ordered parts for my new PC from HWVS a few days ago. I want to be prepared as soon as the package comes through my door and as a first time builder, have little knowledge of the tools Ill need for its construction.

I have a screwdriver and I expect I'll need some cable ties as well. Wil I need something to apply the thermal paste? (I assume the paste comes with the CPU I bought). Anything else I need?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Paste comes pre-applied on all stock coolers (which come with boxed CPUs) and a few aftermarket coolers; many more mid-range coolers come with a serving of better-quality goop and a spreader for correct, sparing self-application :)

Aside from the above, its just a decent-sized Philips screwdriver and maybe some cable ties :) And a radiator pipe or similar to touch to ground yourself as a precaution ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Solitaire wrote: »
    Paste comes pre-applied on all stock coolers (which come with boxed CPUs) and a few aftermarket coolers; many more mid-range coolers come with a serving of better-quality goop and a spreader for correct, sparing self-application :)

Aside from the above, its just a decent-sized Philips screwdriver and maybe some cable ties :) And a radiator pipe or similar to touch to ground yourself as a precaution ;)

Perfect, thanks a lot. A radiator pipe is a great one, I was gonna move a metal filing cabinet but that's a lot handier :) I payed for a stupid pixel test on my monitor like an idiot; not only that but it delays my package by three or more days :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

Another quick suggestion would be to get a can of compressed air, this always comes in handy when building a PC - helps keep dust out of components and off the mainboard

Another quick suggestion would be to get a can of compressed air, this always comes in handy when building a PC - helps keep dust out of components and off the mainboard

Thanks, I'll look into it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Why would you need one when building a new system?? :confused: Unless you had a giant fan blowing tons of sand into the air in your house for some bizarre reason... :p

• Advertisement

Why would you need one when building a new system?? :confused: Unless you had a giant fan blowing tons of sand into the air in your house for some bizarre reason... :p

OK, maybe it's not so necessary after all...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The latest edition of custom pc has a PC Building Masterclass section and it actually looks quite good for a first time builder: http://www.bit-tech.net/latestissue/

If you dont wanna shell out €6 in eason than im sure theres lots of guides on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

Knob:rolleyes: I doubt the place the OP is building the going to completely free of dust and when the PC is built it should always get one last clean. Also its best to have a can of compresses air for ongoing maintenance of hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

O.M.G did you just call are leader a knob wow now i,v seen it all lol

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

Built a few PCs at work using a single philips screw driver. some cable ties came with the power supply, I used them to nerd out on the cabling end of things, used not bother but saw some lovely builds where the cabling was well managed so decided to go that route.

I still hate back plates though, shagging things never line up easily :((

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

^^ What he said, a NO.2 philips is all you need for a basic build.

Advertisement