Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Hard Drive

• 30-08-2010 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

Right folks,bought a new external hard drive (DANE-ELEC 1.5TB)

It is in FAT32 Format which my previous drive also was.
    I'm having a few issues with it,I guessed it was just the PS3 being finicky but alas it may not.The PS3 can see the hard drive.It shows up but when I hit triangle to display it says no files.

My TV also has a usb slot and built in media player,it also detects that the hard drive is there but tells me that the files are damaged.

Thing is though,it is working perfectly fine with my laptop and pc. (Windows 7 + XP)

Any ideas?I really don't want to have to format the the drive as I've transferred about 900GB of data onto it.I've contacted the manufacturer to see if these are known issues and I am currently awaiting a reply.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I'm not familiar with the PS3 or your telly, but is there an upper limit to the partition sizes they can recognise and access?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

mathepac wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the PS3 or your telly, but is there an upper limit to the partition sizes they can recognise and access?

I'm pretty sure with the PS3 there isn't,the TV I dunno.

I suppose I could partition it into 3.Can I do this without data loss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

well, if your hdd was formatted under windows, just try another format utility... and use partition magic to change partitions size (pm can do this without data loss)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

from what I've heard it must be FAT32 and when you must Create a folder system identical to that on the Playstation 3 by creating folders labeled "Picture" (not Photo), "Music", "Video" and "Game". some people have told me they need to be in caps,

as I dont own a ps3 I can't test it for ya

Skalragg wrote: »
    from what I've heard it must be FAT32 and when you must Create a folder system identical to that on the Playstation 3 by creating folders labeled "Picture" (not Photo), "Music", "Video" and "Game". some people have told me they need to be in caps,

as I dont own a ps3 I can't test it for ya

I know that already,my other drive works fine with both the ps3 and the tv.
    It looks like the drive is corrupted,I tried to backup the files from it today and I'm getting a lot of corruption errors.oh well. :(

• Advertisement

Sorted this,formatted using that HP tool.All is working good now.

• Site Banned Posts: 6 you_me1314

You can choose Partition Assistant to resize partition, and here, I introduce a very detail article about the operations on partitions, such as creating, deleting, and formatting partitions-- Guidelines on how to partition a hard drive by Creating, Deleting, Formatting and Resizing Partition. I have faced the same problem as you before, but after read this article and use the Partition Assistant, the problem solved easily.
    This software has free edition, we can experience its superiority in advance.

Advertisement