Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacists call for 'morning-after pill' to be available over the counter

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think it's a good idea. But there should be some kind of monitoring system in place so it can't be abused. It's pretty ridiculous that you have to pay 60 quid just to see someone for 2 minutes to give you a prescription!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I think it's a good idea. But there should be some kind of monitoring system in place so it can't be abused.

There's no monitoring system at the moment...

bleg wrote: »
    Thank you for pointing that out. I don't believe I said there was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

And what do you call a prescription?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think it's a good idea. But there should be some kind of monitoring system in place so it can't be abused.

How could it be abused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Just pointing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Its called up the brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Earthhorse wrote: »
    How could it be abused?

Some people may use it as contraception.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    How could it be abused?
    By abused, I mean some people may think it's an acceptable form of contraception on a regular basis.

Isn't it recommend not to take the MAP more than a few times a year?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Some people may use it as contraception.

Why are there always stupid fucks ruining it for everyone else who might actually need such a service? Though at the same time one might say that the people who would abuse such a system are the problem, as opposed to the pill itself.

• Advertisement

Why are there always stupid fucks ruining it for everyone else who might actually need such a service? Though at the same time one might say that the people who would abuse such a system are the problem, as opposed to the pill itself.

Would you like some codeine with that dr :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I'm hoping that it's in relation to the problem in Kerry (could be other places too, just Kerry's mentioned in this article) where a doctor refused to prescribe the morning after pill on religious grounds. Saw the article the other day, couldn't believe that could still happen here now.
    http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/woman-denied-pill-on-religious-basis-129181.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I can't see the link cos i'm on the mobile, but i think there should be a better system than what's in place now for getting it, but it shouldn't be a system that could be abused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

E.T. wrote: »
    I'm hoping that it's in relation to the problem in Kerry (could be other places too, just Kerry's mentioned in this article) where a doctor refused to prescribe the morning after pill on religious grounds. Saw the article the other day, couldn't believe that could still happen here now.

The call today was as a result of that, though I think pharmacists have been looking for it for a while now.

I think it's a good idea, but I really doubt that the pharmacists really have anybody's interests but their own in mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I can't see the link cos i'm on the mobile, but i think there should be a better system than what's in place now for getting it, but it shouldn't be a system that could be abused.
    Pharmacists call for 'morning-after pill' to be available over the counter
    Monday, August 30, 2010 - 05:06 PM

Pharmacists are renewing calls for the 'morning-after pill' to be available over the counter.
    At present, women who wish to take emergency hormonal contraception require a prescription from a doctor.
    The Irish Pharmacy Union (IPU) said its members have the skills to dispense such drugs and provide appropriate advice and counselling to patients.

"It is important that patients get timely access to emergency hormonal contraception and many often find it difficult to get a prescription at the weekend," said spokesperson Kathy Maher, a pharmacist in Co Meath.
    "Pharmacists should be able to provide such a service and this could be done with appropriate advice, counselling and within agreed protocols."
    Ms Maher emphasised that the morning-after pill "should never be the only form of contraception used" and said pharmacists could also refer patients back to their GP where appropriate.
    Hope that helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

That doctor should be investigated and disciplinary action should be taken.

The morning after pill should be made available over the counter. Pharmacists are adequately trained to provide this. People can abuse it by using it too many times but they can also do this currently by visiting different doctors and pharmacies.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

The thing is, while we don't want it to be 'abused', or used as repeatedly as contraception rather than just in emergencies... can doctors or chemists refuse to provide it?

Obviously they can advise better contraception etc, but can they really say no, too bad if your pregnant now but I'm not giving the morning after pill to you again.

Little My wrote: »
    The thing is, while we don't want it to be 'abused', or used as repeatedly as contraception rather than just in emergencies... can doctors or chemists refuse to provide it?

Obviously they can advise better contraception etc, but can they really say no, too bad if your pregnant now but I'm not giving the morning after pill to you again.

If they fear that it may risk your health they would be obliged to refuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Taelated

Can pharmacists administer it under any circumstances now unless the doc says so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

I applaud this intelligent and timely move. Docs have been greasing their palms for too long.

• Advertisement

I rang my doctors one morning looking for a quick appointment, and was told if i was going to ask for the morning after pill, i'd have to wait till the next day for the other doctor, as the one on call that morning didn't prescribe it as it was against her religion. I wasn't looking for it, so while i was a bit shocked, i forgot about it. But you should be able to go to a doctor and not worry that they won't prescribe something cos they don't agree with it.
    Anyway think there's already a thread on that, so won't go on bout it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

If they fear that it may risk your health they would be obliged to refuse.

Or if they are religious and don't agree with the concept... :eek:

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I rang my doctors one morning looking for a quick appointment, and was told if i was going to ask for the morning after pill, i'd have to wait till the next day for the other doctor, as the one on call that morning didn't prescribe it as it was against her religion. I wasn't looking for it, so while i was a bit shocked, i forgot about it. But you should be able to go to a doctor and not worry that they won't prescribe something cos they don't agree with it.
    Anyway think there's already a thread on that, so won't go on bout it here.

What a crook, what about a doctor who is a jehovah witness, would they refuse to give blood to a patient?

I would be making waves with that practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

it's available over-the-counter in the UK, has been for a few years now.
    Criteria was a quick face-to-face chat with the pharmacist explaining how to take it, risks, contra-indication and what to expect. Pretty simple.
    Yes - open to abuse in that people could tour round different pharmacies and get one every month if they so desired, but in some pharmacies that I worked in they had a page in the controlled drugs book and logged sales so that people getting it regularly could be noticed...

It's workable...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

They shouldn't be in the profession if they're going to refuse someone the MAP.
    If you can't do your job, get one that fits in with your belief structure.
    Why should others suffer?

I think it should definitely be available over the counter.
    I shudder to think what some girls do in rural towns in an emergancy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

What a crook, what about a doctor who is a jehovah witness, would they refuse to give blood to a patient?

I would be making waves with that practice.

But then at the same time while I totally disagree with it should the doctor be forced to overrule their own personal moral code to practice? If there were a system in place whereby people could know where they could get an MAP prescription be it weekday or weekend then maybe that system could be opt in so that those doctors who didn't want to prescribe it could avoid being asked. A good chunk of the problem comes down to the simple lack of non-biased information available to the people who need it most, when they need it most.

Biggins wrote: »
    Hope that helps. :)

Thanks Biggins. It does indeed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

That doctor should be struck off. what a nutter. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

it's available over-the-counter in the UK, has been for a few years now.
    Criteria was a quick face-to-face chat with the pharmacist explaining how to take it, risks, contra-indication and what to expect. Pretty simple.
    Same deal in switzerland.

Advertisement