Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Top 3 VSTs!

Options
  • 30-08-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Thought this'd be a good way of people finding other VSTs they might not know about. Basically just list your 3 favourite plug-ins, free, paid, Mac/Windows whatever. Either for their quality, ease of use, or how often you use them. I'll start...

1) Lennar Digital Sylenth1 (soft synth)

2) TAL Dub-3 Delay (free delay)

3) Camel Audio Camel Crusher (free overdrive)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

1. audiorealisms bassline 2-incredible for straight up bass.im not really using crazy bass sounds anymore so this seems to get into all my tracks

2. G Force's Minimonsta-savage moog replica.

3.Logic-i know its a daw but every plugin in it is quality.i pretty much just use these 3 things for most of my tracks.

honourary mention goes to sonalksis stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

1. Spectrasonics Omnishpere

2. Spectrasonics Trilian

3. dbGlitch effect

Use the Spectrasonics all the time now, was bit pricey compared to previously just using free vsti's, but by god the sound out of them i find phenomenal

I used glitch a lot with my old pc and got some interesting sounds out of it...havent' installed it on my current set-up...and actually forgot all about it until seen this thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

There's also spectral analyser in ableton.

I've seen a quick demonstration of how to use it - but can't remember the details.

You can pull it into the master and then alternatively mute different tracks to see if there's overlapping - there's always going to be a certain amount of overlapping.

EQ'ing is a complete mystery to me.

Lots of things are complete mysteries to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

krd wrote: »

Lots of things are complete mysteries to me.

Even posting in the right Thread! LOL ;) :pac: :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think my top 3 favourites would be as follows:

Absynth
    Poseidon (synth)
    and either dub delay or dbglitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Artillery II
    Vintage Warmer
    Ozone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

1. Sylenth
    2. Powercore Virus (Hardware with VST front end)
    3. Duende (Hardware with VST front end)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Z3ta - great all round synth
    Izotope Trash - good distortion
    Sonnox Reverb - Sounds good, not heavy on cpu either

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭synesthesia

TAL-Bassline
    D-16 Phoscyon
    D-16 Nepheton

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭lazyatom

refx's vanguard

arturia's arp2600

audio damage's dubstation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

Instruments:

Guru

Imposcar

Absynth

plugins:

Izotope Ozone

Camelspace

Dblueglitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

red dave wrote: »
    dbGlitch effect
    Dblueglitch

I heard so much about this, it's so annoying there's no version for Mac...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

NI Battery

dominator CM

OhMyGod by ohmboys, gotta love comb filtering

as for glitch on a mac, try sugabyte's effectrix, not free but very similar

Quiggers wrote: »
    NI Battery

dominator CM

OhMyGod by ohmboys, gotta love comb filtering

as for glitch on a mac, try sugabyte's effectrix, not free but very similar

ohmboyz is a delay vst, top favourite of mine, i love messin with the lfo delay and the loop button

the ohmygod comb filtering one is a different vst,
    they're both made by ohmforce (the brand name)

quad fromage is another class one made by them

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭hubiedubie

Fxpansion Strobe
    Spectrasonics Trillian
    Soundtoys Decapitator(lovely for drums).

do you use spectrasonics omnisphere?

there were great reviews about it when it was being released

never used it myself,

i have atmosphere which is decent enough for pads and sfx wouldn't be mad about it tho

do you use spectrasonics omnisphere?

there were great reviews about it when it was being released

never used it myself,

i have atmosphere which is decent enough for pads and sfx wouldn't be mad about it tho

Have omnisphere here - has the atmosphere patches in there to save having extra vsts open.

It's a beast - i can imagine it taking ages to really get through what's in there - a simple front end that gets very deep very quickly.

It's not just pads in there also.... like tucked away there are waveforms for nearly every decent analog ever made... lots of handy bits... and some larger pads/film stuff that's very different than Atmosphere.

Doesn't sound like a plug at all ;), but i've got it in every project pretty much for something.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Have omnisphere here - has the atmosphere patches in there to save having extra vsts open.

It's a beast - i can imagine it taking ages to really get through what's in there - a simple front end that gets very deep very quickly.

It's not just pads in there also.... like tucked away there are waveforms for nearly every decent analog ever made... lots of handy bits... and some larger pads/film stuff that's very different than Atmosphere.

Doesn't sound like a plug at all ;), but i've got it in every project pretty much for something.
    the only thing that uts me off those synths is the massive soundbanks.omnisphere is something like 40 gigs right?
    i just dont have the space on my computer for them

seannash wrote: »
    the only thing that uts me off those synths is the massive soundbanks.omnisphere is something like 40 gigs right?
    i just dont have the space on my computer for them

Yeah, it's large - and it's not for the meek either... after about 6000 presets i nearly threw up ;) - i think it's about 60gigs now Sean ;)

A bit like the orchestral VSTs, the larger/better quality samples come at a horrific cost of space. I'd love to get something like that, but Omni got here first :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Only just stumbled across this now, some very interesting vsts described here. I've d/led a few to play around with.

http://ootray.com/blog/?p=111

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Yeah, it's large - and it's not for the meek either... after about 6000 presets i nearly threw up ;) - i think it's about 60gigs now Sean ;)

A bit like the orchestral VSTs, the larger/better quality samples come at a horrific cost of space. I'd love to get something like that, but Omni got here first :)

Yes very large, think Trillian is around 30 or 40gb. It felt like a good few hours to install them also. I must admit I was a broken man when I first opened Trillian in FL and there was no sound coming from it when pressing the keys on the piano roll...after an hour of head scratching I copied the library to a different location and fixed. Now feel they are worth every GB of space and second of time they took to install.

Now I can't wait until I actually know how to use them properly :p

is it worth it.

i mean i understand its got basically every possible sort of sound in it but could you get the same results with a selection of different vst's

reaktor 5 is great too, i know its not technically a single vst but there are aome great ensembles...ive had big problems with bugginess from it tho

NI in general are very unreliable i find, i bought the eastwest quantum leap package and ended up buying kontakt 3 especially for it, kontakt 3 wont load in tracks these days...so i just use the le version that came with the eastwest package, couldn't be bothered sorting it out

pro 53, one of the 1st ones i got from them is buggy as hell too..... and their registration method is a pain the hole, well it definetely used to be anyway

i wouldn't buy a thing from them now, even tho they are quality sounding for the most part

seannash wrote: »
    is it worth it.

i mean i understand its got basically every possible sort of sound in it but could you get the same results with a selection of different vst's

The main thing about Omni is it has sounds in there nothing else can make... the waveshapes for other older gear are a hidden bonus.

If you want unique textures, surreal sounds, ambient touches and more controls than you could want to evolve those then it's a viable tool - nothing else will really touch it. I'd check out demos or find another user locally to check it out.

You would be able to replicate Omni with other tools though, it's its own thing - it's own sound.

The other flip side - filmscore, adverts, games and anything like that where you might need a quick turn around.. Omni is there and getting you sorted very quickly... the genre/type browser is like the NI system but refined and a lot better for finding the sound in your head you want.

Also had all the NI stuff here and never load any of it anymore - used to use that a lot for projects until the bugs started turning up and they broke reaktor badly from 5 onwards - was unable to load older .esm into newer versions which meant years of custom effects lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I like Predator and Absynth....I can't actually think of another VST that i have used recently. My drum work tends to be build from one shots and the vast majority of the sounds in my tracks tend to come from abused samplings/field recordings and the like. Any of the actual musical elements, those VST's have never let me down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

The Delay Lama.

I haven't gotten around to using it yet - but i will at some point - it's the chanting Buddhist monk plug in.

http://www.audionerdz.com/

Instant Eastern mysticism.

Advertisement