Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Wild Bird slaughter in the Med

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Depressing stuff alright and the French/Italians are as bad and shoot everything that moves. If memory serves me right terns returning from Europe etc also have to run a gauntlet of hunters in Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Whatever you do don't go on holidays to Malta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Before I was fully aware of the situation I spent 2 weeks in Cyprus in 2002. I was luck enough to visit the DMZ zone between the Turkish North and Greek South. I wondered why this was the only place I saw birds like Swallows and Jackdaws on the trip. Its all depressingly obvious now:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I was over in Italy at a big clay pigeon shooting competition a few years back. I went to a local gun shop to pick up some ammo and it was full of equipment for attracting and shooting songbirds. They even had stuffed songbirds for sale to act as decoys. I've even heard of them shooting at butterflies over there (although I think that one is stretching the imagination). And in Malta the head of their wildlife service and his family have 24 hour police protection as his life has been threatened by hunters for trying to enforce the law. While we have the odd bad egg over here too, most Irish hunters are aghast at the behaviour of some of their European counterparts.

I was over in Italy at a big clay pigeon shooting competition a few years back. I went to a local gun shop to pick up some ammo and it was full of equipment for attracting and shooting songbirds. They even had stuffed songbirds for sale to act as decoys. I've even heard of them shooting at butterflies over there (although I think that one is stretching the imagination). And in Malta the head of their wildlife service and his family have 24 hour police protection as his life has been threatened by hunters for trying to enforce the law. While we have the odd bad egg over here too, most Irish hunters are aghast at the behaviour of some of their European counterparts.

Malta is a rogue state - birdwatchers need hired security there:http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100830/local/birdwatchers-return-to-look-out-for-illegal-hunting-and-trapping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

Does anybody remember a case from a few years ago (maybe a lot more than a few), when an Italian man was arrested for shooting songbirds near Dublin? That was a strange one. I remember how shocking it was to hear about one person doing that, I can't imagine how they live with themselves.

Does anybody remember a case from a few years ago (maybe a lot more than a few), when an Italian man was arrested for shooting songbirds near Dublin? That was a strange one. I remember how shocking it was to hear about one person doing that, I can't imagine how they live with themselves.

Here in Kildare I was told by a reliable source that before the authorities and local gun clubs knew what these guys were about(late 80's and early 90's) groups of Italian hunters were caught red-handed in North Kildare shooting everything that moved, including 2 calves, a number of sheep and a donkey on one occasion:eek:. Thankfully they were ran out of Ireland soon after. The worrying thing now is that according to the link I posted earlier there now massacaring wild birds in the breeding season in places outside the EU including Russia, Albania and Egypt. All countries that are also important staging posts for summer migrants into the EU and winter migrants in the case of Russia:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

A couple of summers ago I was with some friends and we saw european hunters shooting every bird they could say, They were also trespassing on private property.
    I think it's incredibly cruel that people get enjoyment out of shooting innocent birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

I think Boards needs a new anger smiley, this doesn't cut it :mad:

It's just senseless slaughter. I was reading more about the Malta slaughter, and it is just unjustifiable. What thrill could any decent person get from shooting a bee-eater?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6609247.stm

This must affect the numbers reaching Ireland, especially when you see the photo of a swift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

I think Boards needs a new anger smiley, this doesn't cut it :mad:

It's just senseless slaughter. I was reading more about the Malta slaughter, and it is just unjustifiable. What thrill could any decent person get from shooting a bee-eater?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6609247.stm

I agree, Boards needs a "furious" smiley.

Having read the article It just baffles me that anyone could be so cruel
    and the fact that Malta is allowing this is just awful. :(

• Advertisement

Follow the very latest developments using this link:http://birdlifemalta.org/Content/hunting/RaptorCampDailyUpdates/1096/

in the battle to save our migrant birds from armed thugs and criminals over Malta. Casualties continue to mount despite the best efforts of the brave people of CABS and Birdlife Malta but the successes are also significant

PS: Raptor camp is held twice a year to protect migrating birds who have to run the gauntlet of rampant illegal killing throughout Malta. Updates will continue on the link above till the 26th of this month. I hope to be there myself next year on the frontline in this war, which we cannot afford to lose for the sake of some of our most endangered and well-loved summer migrants including Corncrake,Warblers etc.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Follow the very latest developments using this link:http://birdlifemalta.org/Content/hunting/RaptorCampDailyUpdates/1096/

in the battle to save our migrant birds from armed thugs and criminals over Malta. Casualties continue to mount despite the best efforts of the brave people of CABS and Birdlife Malta but the successes are also significant

PS: Raptor camp is held twice a year to protect migrating birds who have to run the gauntlet of rampant illegal killing throughout Malta. Updates will continue on the link above till the 26th of this month. I hope to be there myself next year on the frontline in this war, which we cannot afford to lose for the sake of some of our most endangered and well-loved summer migrants including Corncrake,Warblers etc.:)
    Nice one Birdnuts:)
    Those bastards are vermin pity they can't be eliminated like vermin:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Wow, hadn't a clue this was going on. Thanks for the links

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How about some of us here contacting the Maltese Embassy in Dublin
    Malta - Maltese Embassy in Ireland
    Embassy of Malta
    15 Leeson Street Lower
    Dublin 2
    Tel: 01-6762340
    Fax: 01-6766066
    E.Mail: maltaembassy.dublin@gov.mt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Does anyone have a sample letter to get things rolling?

This slaughter is not new and seems endemic to many parts of southern Europe.
    I remember when in France 30 years ago and it was part of their culture then. Thought nothing of shooting robins etc.
    I hope that there has been some cultural change since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Bump. Just read this. Disgusting. I've heard about migrating swallows being shot for 'sport' over Italy.

Anyone here send a letter yet? I'm away at present. I'll be contacting the Maltese representatives in Ireland upon my return informing them that I would not have travelled (nor will I be returning) there last year had I known about their record.

Canada is another place that I have down as a no go based on the slaughter in Labrador.

Having said all that, would it be better to visit when the opportunity presents itself and make the case in person at an embassy? Perhaps get some local press interest.

Advertisement