Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need to declare my medication?

Options
  • 30-08-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi guys,
    Im flying dublin to london, london to kuala lumpar, kuala lumpar to sydney at the end of sept. I have a years supply medication for an underactive thyroid (eltroxin) and inhalers (ventolin) to take with me so i will have quite alot of drugs in my bag!!
    Firstly, should i take them in my hand luggage or big bag?
    Second, do i need to declare them at each airport?
    Third, do i need to have my prescription with me?
    Cheers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bring the prescription, have the original on you and a copy with the meds. Keep original packaging. Keep a week's supply with you always in case your baggage goes missing.

Surely you can pick up Ventolin in Australia? While in small containers, it is pressurised gas and I think they would be better in cabin baggage. as liquids, it might be useful to have them in a 1 litre plastic bag, but not absolutely necessary as they are medicines.

What form is the Eltroxin in? If tablets they can go anywhere.

It would be best to declare it any time you are entering a country, i.e. going through customs. If you are in the transit part of an airport, you haven't entered the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Efaol89 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Hold luggage
    I would at every country you intend to stay in if your passing through KL why would they care.
    Third, do I need to have my prescription with me?
    If its a presciption drug Yes.

You may need to get some here.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Hi guys,
    Im flying dublin to london, london to kuala lumpar, kuala lumpar to sydney at the end of sept. I have a years supply medication for an underactive thyroid (eltroxin) and inhalers (ventolin) to take with me so i will have quite alot of drugs in my bag!!
    Third, do i need to have my prescription with me?
    Cheers...

That was exactly me 6 months ago, except Dublin->Abu Dhabi-> Melbourne.
    Take any medication you want in your hand luggage. It is exempt (including aerosols like Ventolin) from any liquid restrictions or restrictions on aerosols.
    You should obviously take any medication you'll need for the journey in the cabin with you. The rest is fine in your checked bag. You can't get to your checked in bag until your final destination.

You should declare it on the form they give you before landing. Customs won't bother checking it.
    If you have prescriptions for the stuff take them with you (they are no good in Australia though).
    To buy medicine here you will need to visit a doc here first.
    You should keep all medicine in the original packaging with the pharmacy sticker on it with your name etc.

You should know that Eltroxin bought here needs to be kept in the fridge over here, only take out the tray you are using.
    Maybe take your Irish Eltroxin to a pharmacist to confirm it. I was surprised when they told me.

Advertisement