Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post - The Rebel Tour

• 30-08-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Anyone doing this? Looks like the new routes will be good.....Looking forward to the 80km myself...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Yep, going to do the 160, looks a nice route. Anyone had any joy registering online? Went round in circles last night trying to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Yep, going to do the 160, looks a nice route. Anyone had any joy registering online? Went round in circles last night trying to do it.

when is it on ,,link please im lazy today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

If anyone wants MMR routes I have them just to post the links up (had to provide CLSP with them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Linky doo dah.
    http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/2010anpostrebeltour

I am thinking of doing the 160. The route looks nice. Could be windy though.

registration here http://www.corksports.ie/index.cfm/page/howtoenter Brain is obviously working better tonight than last.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

can you enter on the day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Anyone know what the entry fee is on the 160?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I plan on doing the Rebel Tour as well, e40 for the 160k, I believe. SHould be a breeze compared to the SKT.

I saw a sign on the road from Killarney to Cork today, it said there was a ride on October 3 2010, a 30k, 50k and 100k-anyone have any info on this?
    I think it was around the Ballyvourney area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I plan on doing the Rebel Tour as well, e40 for the 160k, I believe. SHould be a breeze compared to the SKT.

I saw a sign on the road from Killarney to Cork today, it said there was a ride on October 3 2010, a 30k, 50k and 100k-anyone have any info on this?
    I think it was around the Ballyvourney area?

I saw that sign. On Irish cycling website events section there is mention of that cycle but it says Sept 5.

Also for folks who will be in the Cork area to do the Rebel Tour, you might be interested but a Cork club - www.valleywheelerscc.com. Will be holding a 110km sportif over a beautiful but challenging course on the Cork and Kerry border.
    Takes in 4 or 5 climbs. Sept 12. Day after Rebel Tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Yep, will be there for this. Not sure whether I'm doing the 90 or 160 yet though. I'm waiting to hear if a pal is going to have a go at his first sportive and if he does I'll do the 90 with him. If not, then the 160 is calling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Would love to with it being home turf and all..but im flying in from a week in the sun at 7 that morning...

She knew what she was doing when she booked this holiday anyway..

Still could maybe convinced into doing the 90km..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Registered for this last night...35 yoyos when your a Cycling Ireland member..
    looks on paper like a very do-able spin.No big climbs a la SKT or Sky Ride
    Kinsale back up to Cork is a nice haul...

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

I like the way they have martini glasses for the water stops. will they be serving cocktails too? way better than any powerbar gel shenanigans.

pity its same weekend as the bray wheelers joe loughman. think ill be going that instead as its closer to home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

anybody know how parking will work on the day?e.g will parking be provided at the show grounds and then cycle to the start at Grand parade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

ROK ON wrote: »
    www.valleywheelerscc.com. Will be holding a 110km sportif over a beautiful but challenging course on the Cork and Kerry border.
    Takes in 4 or 5 climbs. Sept 12. Day after Rebel Tour.

That sounds like a good cycle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Boosterseat

Registered for the 80k. I know the route well and its nice - no hills like SKT 90k. Route passes very near my house, if things arent working I can always ditch for a cuppa. Hell Boardsies - all welcome...the more the merrier!!

Memo to self - tell Mrs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Would like to do it again this year but i have the B-champs the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dustyrocks

anyone know anything about the climbs height and length on the 160 the site is only giving the distance and food stops did skt 160 no problems
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drustan

dustyrocks wrote: »
    anyone know anything about the climbs height and length on the 160 the site is only giving the distance and food stops did skt 160 no problems
    thanks

Dusty you'll have no worries, no major climbs compared to Waterford.
    But I do notice towards the end they have us routed through the grounds of UCC.
    I doubt this very much. Google maps have this marked as 'College Road'.
    My guess after turning right for Gaol Walk instead of a left take the right and follow the road up to the lights, take left onto College Road and then next left down O'Donovan's road.

After the last stop "fivemile" on the R613 onto the N71, route indicates a left onto N71 and then a right to head back towards Bandon road roundabout. Be careful, it can't actually be done. This is a busy road here and I'm sure marshals will be here, but if not instead of taking a left, continue for about 100m take a RIGHT to ramp onto N71.

Should be fun.

There doesn't seem to be too much online grá for this one. Does anyone know how many people have signed up for the 160 so far?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭kcphoto

I've registered for the 160k myself as I was away for the SK this year.
    Noticed on the documentation there is a time limit...
    "Cyclists who do not reach the first food and refreshment stop in a reasonable time will be required to accept transport".
    No mention of what a reasonable time might be though.

If you go by the times indicated by their googlemaps routing then you better get your TT legs on!

Plastik wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be too much online grá for this one. Does anyone know how many people have signed up for the 160 so far?

I have signed up, and I think the route is good, but I would prefer they'd taken a different way back from Kinsale....

The official website has the distance at 160km, but this route on ridewithgps makes it look around 190km?

The only difference I can see is afore mentioned road back from Kinsale which wouldn't account for 30km.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

smalltalk wrote: »
    anybody know how parking will work on the day?e.g will parking be provided at the show grounds and then cycle to the start at Grand parade.

The offical grounds are the showgrounds and according to the website parking will be available there. Like yourself I will be parking there in the morning and then cycling to the start line.

There will be hot and cold food available in the show grounds so I imagine it'll be a similar set-up to the Meath Tour as far as the finish area goes.

The official website has the distance at 160km, but this route on ridewithgps makes it look around 190km?

The routes

160km
    90km
    8km

The only difference I can see is afore mentioned road back from Kinsale which wouldn't account for 30km.....

I just mapped it on RWGPS and it clocked 160k :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Does the route take in airport hill or carr's hill as the last climb? I'm totally confused about the route once Ballinadee is reached....:confused:

Kinsale (heading for the Airport) - Fivemilebridge - Ballinhassig - and back to Cork under the viaduct, the same road that you will have cycled out that morning. Back into town through Bishopstown, passed the CUH etc.

• Advertisement

I just mapped it on RWGPS and it clocked 160k :confused:

Sorry forgot the link http://ridewithgps.com/routes/135052

You've gone wrong at Kinsale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Kinsale (heading for the Airport) - Fivemilebridge - Ballinhassig - and back to Cork under the viaduct, the same road that you will have cycled out that morning. Back into town through Bishopstown, passed the CUH etc.

Ah! That makes much more sense! Thanks for that Plastik :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭t5pwr

Hi All,

Does anyone have a map of where the Cork Showgrounds are?
    Is it the one by Parc Ui Chaoimh?

t5pwr wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone have a map of where the Cork Showgrounds are?
    Is it the one by Parc Ui Chaoimh?

Yep, the grounds around the Stadium.

On a side note, I was looking at the website earlier and it seems that today is the last day for registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rhino75

Hi all. New to boards and a rookie cyclist but I've noticed ye guys on the road. Looking forward to a fast day on the road and hopefully I'll see a few of ye in the new kit. After the SKT this will be a walk in the park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

registration extended till midnight Thursday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

Has anyone received a number in the post as we did for the Sean Kelly? I received an e-mail confirmation but no number. I am wondering if we need a number before sign-on on Fri/Sat or if we can just bring the e-mail confirmation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi Tonio,
    Theyre not posting out numbers, all entrants will receive their participant number when they sign on.

Sign on @ Cork Showground’s on Friday 10th of September between 5-8pm: on Saturday 11th of September in the Cork Showground’s between 7-9.30 am.

Should be a hammerfest!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭adodsk

Should be a hammerfest!!!!!
    ...between the traffic lights??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

This is a post from An Post from facebook yesterday

An Post Cycling So far 250 have signed up for the 160k, 300 for the 80k and 65 for the Mountain Biking Rebel Rush. You can come along and sign up for the 10k Rebel Pedal on the day. Applications are coming in thick and fast so today's online applications deadline has been extended until tomorrow midnight. Sign up at the link below!

on Wednesday · 31 · Comment ·LikeUnlike

Hopefully more will sign on today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drustan

DOn't forget on th e way back (slight difference), western road take a right on to gaol walk onto college road, left down donovans road, western road, mardyke ....

Does anyone know the condition of the roads? I would like to use my Carbon wheels, but only if the roads are good, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Does anyone know the condition of the roads? I would like to use my Carbon wheels, but only if the roads are good, thanks.

I've not cycled this particular route. But in general the roads in Cork are pretty good - a damn sight better than the roads in Kerry moreoftenthannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

Certainly the road from Cork to Dunmanway will be very smooth - they re-tarred the stretch from HalfWay to Bandon last year and it's all main road. Not sure about Dunmanway to Clonakilty (looks like a back road) but I cycled Timoleague to Cork over the Summer and it was fine. Not as smooth as the Veulta but there shouldn't be many potholes so I'd say go for it - last chance to use them this year!

Thanks for the responses, I just had the wheels shipped from the USA, and haven't ridden them in a while, it will be nice to use them on a long ride and like the above poster said, might be my last opportunity.

I picked up my brand spanking new Onix today, Kysrium wheels, Ultegra the lot. Like becoming a father again!

So, given I've never been out on it before, is heading off for 160k wise or should I use the bike that yesterday was my pride and joy, but today is a 5 year old, non-carbon, Sora-carrying piece of sh!t (I'm sorry, really I am)?

Just back from registration, Sports Beans and a bottle included in the pack so happy out and the Jersey look decent, now if only something could be done about the weather although it should still be agood day.

Good luck to all tomorrow!

I picked up my brand spanking new Onix today, Kysrium wheels, Ultegra the lot. Like becoming a father again!

So, given I've never been out on it before, is heading off for 160k wise or should I use the bike that yesterday was my pride and joy, but today is a 5 year old, non-carbon, Sora-carrying piece of sh!t (I'm sorry, really I am)?

Personnally I think 160 is a bit much for a first ride so I'd use the piece of sh!t if it were me.....

Weather is a bit cat alright at the moment. Hopefully it's a bit better in the morning!

Back :) The route was billed as 160km but my computer clocked 166. 5h 35 rolling for 160km, 5h 47 for 166km! I'm very happy with that, it's my first time breaking the 6h mark and a long way from the 7h 47 rolling that I suffered at the Stephen Roche Tour de Cure back in March! The route today was fairly handy though (+1,100m or so), much easier than the Sean Kelly a forthnight ago.

We had a headwind for the first 60k to the foodstop so sheltered in the peloton! And we had a headwind again once we rounded the old head of Kinsale all the way back to Cork - so the last 35/40k or so.

Great day out, great weather (thanks weatherforecast!), I was sweltering under my baselayer and knee earners! Didn't see any boards gear on show but met one or two along the route!

• Advertisement
Advertisement