Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry TV?

Options
  • 30-08-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

I read about this in the Kerry's Eye - There's plans to bring a 24-hour a day local TV station to Kerry!

http://www.kerryseye.com/this_week_in_kerry_business.html
    (bout half way down the page. Goddamn, Kerry'sEye has an ugly site)
    New TV Kerry station promises home-grown programming

by Owen O’Shea

A number of prominent Kerry and national personalities have given their public backing to a the development of a new Kerry-based television station.
    The TV Kerry Association has made a detailed and lengthy submission to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland and are planning a meeting of interested parties in Tralee in the near future.
    The backers of the project envisage a commercial TV station for Kerry and aims to capitalise on the sucess of the FÁS Film and TV course currently available in Tralee.
    They say there is an opening for a county station which would provide local news and sports coverage as well as home-produced drama.
    Among those who have declared their enthusiasm for the project are former Kerry GAA star Mick O’Connell, Jimmy Deenihan TD, artist Pauline Bewick, former Tánaiste Dick Spring and Hothouse Flowers singer Liam Ó Maonlaí.
    “TV Kerry will be a commercial enterprise, local, Irish television station broadcasting live primarily through a warm up taster via online Pod cast.
    “The people of Kerry feel strongly that it is a necessity and deserve to have their own television station on the ground in the county,” according to journalist Carla Horan, who is involved in the project.
    The proposed TV station predicts an appeal to both locals and other ethnic communities resident in the county.
    Ms Horan said the station will function primarily on revenue derived from this advertising by local business people and those national or international companies wishing to market goods and services to the catchment area of Kerry and beyond.

Soap
    The station promises a large news and current affairs output, a locally produced soap opera along with programming on sport and all aspects of life in the county.
    A summer chat show will go on the road and come from different locations dotted around the county like Killarney, Listowel, Ballybunion, Ballylongford, Rathmore, Dingle and many more.
    A local ‘Big Brother Live’ type show will be aired live from a church, the aim being to raise money for charity, say promoters, as well as a televised Kerry Lottery.
    Anyone interested in becoming involved in the station is asked to contact Carla Horan on 087 782 4045 for further information.

They were talking about it in the indo too:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-regional-tv-station-plans-kerry-big-brother-2315219.html
    New regional TV station plans Kerry 'Big Brother'

AN Irish version of 'Big Brother' could be on the way to our screens for the first time -- on a proposed regional, commercial television station.
    It is just one of the programmes mooted by Tralee entrepreneur Carla Horan, who is planning to form a new commercial TV station dedicated to Kerry.
    The ambitious project would see the channel broadcasting 24 hours a day and include news and sports bulletins from across the county, along with Irish language content, a chat show, cookery, arts, gardening, fashion and holiday programmes -- and even a Kerry-based soap opera. Live gigs at the INEC in Killarney will also be targeted for coverage by the channel; while there have been early discussions about launching a Kerry Lotto, with live TV draws.
    Ms Horan (37) said plans were only at the "inception stage", but she has already brought the concept before the Broadcast Authority of Ireland and is in the process of applying for a contract to provide free-to-air TV on a digital platform. It is hoped the new station will be broadcasting by 2013.

This is an amazing idea, i really hope it goes through!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

and to think their are people who say that Kerry is behind in the times :D.

I hope it takes off and showcases Kerry, some nice publicity would be no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

i could see some good things coming from this around Rose time when it's up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

hacx wrote: »
    i could see some good things coming from this around Rose time when it's up and running.

and even if Killarney is lucky to host the 3Irish Open again in 2011. Oh so many opportunities to show-case the county.

not even mentioning All-Ireland and GAA matches down here.

Here's hoping anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

There was a public meeting about 8 years ago [in the Abbeygate if I remember correctly] by a group who had put a submission to the bci.

I wonder if this is a different submission/group.

Can't seem to find anything online about it , but while googling this came up...
    http://www.kerry.tv/

seem like alot of interest behind this, not too sure if a Kerry 'Big brother' is the road to start heading down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i would imagine that the tv station would only get a license to broadcast in Kerry, unless maybe on satelite??? so not much point in show-casing the county to people who are living here already

as for sporting events, they wont have the rights to show gaa or golf, maybe they could find a niche market like televising club games etc from the county.

anyway i wont hold my breath on this, cant see it ever getting enough funding to operate even a limited schedule, never mind 24 hours a day :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

It's gonna be satellite once the analouge system goes down in 2012

Advertisement