Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Moyes To Aston Villa

• 30-08-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Betting has been suspended.

He went from 33/1 to 4/1 earlier this morning to 7/4 before betting was suspended tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

itk from both sides saying this is happening apparently

ill believe it when i see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

That would be some coup. One of the biggest managerial switches ever in the Prem Id say?

I am skeptical though.

mon to take the vacant everton job then? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I think he's a great manager. He's put in a lot of good work at Everton but I'd have rated Everton and Villa as fairly similiar in size, so why bothering moving for the sake of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I would be completely shocked.
    I can't see this possibly happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I am the only one who thinks that at best this would be a step sideways for Moyes? He's built a bloody good team at Goodison. Surely he won't have much more resources available at Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

@ 5/4 on PaddyPower

He probably wants anew challenge and has taken Everton as far as they can go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well he does appear to be stagnating at Everton. The phrase 'taken the club as far as he can' comes to mind. I mean he's got fourth five years ago and despite keeping the club on a steady keel, has never had the funds or backing to go that extra step.

I would seriously worry for Everton if he did go.

I think he's a great manager. He's put in a lot of good work at Everton but I'd have rated Everton and Villa as fairly similiar in size, so why bothering moving for the sake of it?

hed have money to spend at villa that he'd never get at everton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I'd be very surprised, Villa don't seem to have that much more cash then Everton to spend. I would've thought Alan Curbishley would be a good shout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

The only two reasons I could think of are:

1) A hefty pay rise
    2) He won't have to sell players (as much) to buy like he did at Everton.

Obviously, every Premier League club apart from Manchester City are trying to balance the books to a certain extent, but perhaps Aston Villa will balance their books at a much higher level than Everton will.

Fizman wrote: »
    I am the only one who thinks that at best this would be a step sideways for Moyes? He's built a bloody good team at Goodison. Surely he won't have much more resources available at Villa.

hed have a lot more i reckon

he'd be backed as much as o'neill was anyway

um no, that is probably the general consensus hence the :confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Villa have a hell of a lot more to spend if Randy wants it to.

Moyes probably sick of struggling for cash at Everton.

Would be a massive coup for Villa and would expect them to be pushing for fourth place next season , would be a big blow for Everton and could see them dropping down the table as time goes by.

Edit: oops

Villa have a hell of a lot more to spend if Randy wants it to.

Moyes probably sick of struggling for cash at Everton.

Would be a massive coup for Everton and would expect them to be pushing for fourth place next season , would be a big blow for Everton and could see them dropping down the table as time goes by.

Sitting on the fence I see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This was my immediate thought on the matter too. I am guessing Lerner has promised him something that he doesn't have at Everton or he feels that he has brought the club and his career as far as he can with the resources available to him at Everton.

Being a Liverpool supporter, I should really dislike Everton but I would be very worried for them if he was to leave. They could get an adequate replacement but it could be bad news for them if they picked the wrong person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

O'Neill to Everton ??
    managerial musical chairs

Everton's squad cost somewhere in the region of £75m and a large chunk of that was made by selling on their best players - Rooney £30m, Johnson £12m, Lescott £22m

Villa's squad cost somewhere around the £110m mark and the vast majority of that probably something like £80m was new investment by Lerner.

Ok Villa sold Milner and Barry recently but that is very much the exception as opposed to the norm. Everton have no choice but to sell theri best prospects to survive - see the Rodwell to Utd rumours.

JPA wrote: »
    Sitting on the fence I see...

Villa - typo :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Helix wrote: »
    hed have money to spend at villa that he'd never get at everton

was the reason for MON going not becuase he was told he would have to reduce the wage bill at the club and that money got in for transfers (Milner for example) would be used to pay the wages as opposed to all going back into the transfer pot?

Also, Everton have not exactly been cheap in recent seasons.

• Advertisement

was the reason for MON going not becuase he was told he would have to reduce the wage bill at the club and that money got in for transfers (Milner for example) would be used to pay the wages as opposed to all going back into the transfer pot?

Also, Everton have not exactly been cheap in recent seasons.

The problem with wages at Villa was MON spending big money on signings in terms of transfers and fees and then never using these players - L Young, Sidwell, NRC, Davies etc.

There was an article in the Guardian I think about 6 players MON had bought on big money who were being paid a total of £250k a week in wages listing how little they had featured in the league.

yup, over £1m a month sitting completely unused... without adding up the transfer fees wasted on them as well

mon was told to fix his mistakes before he was allowed the opportunity to make any more, a new manager wont have the same restrictions because they werent his mistakes

income from sales wasnt to be used to pay wagers, its just that mon wasnt allowed anywhere near it til he'd sorted his balls ups out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

be amazed if he goes to Villa, if it was a team with aspirations to win a title or the like i could forgive him but villa...

meh, Everton have a better standing than them at the moment.

anyways.., who believes this junk that's in the papers, don't you know we are well into the last few hours of the silly season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

be amazed if he goes to Villa, if it was a team with aspirations to win a title or the like i could forgive him but villa...

meh, Everton have a better standing than them at the moment.

anyways.., who believes this junk that's in the papers, don't you know we are well into the last few hours of the silly season

No they don't, Villa are a better team player for player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Load of bull IMO just a betting run based on a handshake and rumour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I see what ye're saying lads, an increased salary and the promise of transfer funds might be on offer. I suppose I can't help but feel that both clubs have hit a glass ceiling of sorts and that the reasons Martin O'Neill walked away would provide the same obstacles for Moyes to improve the club.

I don't want that to sound unfair to Villa or Everton fans. I just think that the current resources available to Chelsea, Manchester united, Arsenal, Manchester city and to an extent Tottenham will be very hard to rival. I'd love to be proved wrong and see either/both clubs break the relative monopoly at the top of the league. It's likely to be an equally big challenge for both clubs and that's why I see it as a sideways step for Moyes at the moment.

I'm sure any decision he makes will be based on countless more factors than I've outlined so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

baz2009 wrote: »
    No they don't, Villa are a better team player for player.

of course they are, wasn't it them who were blown apart at home against everton the other day, relying on counter attacking.. :rolleyes:

Player for player Everton would be much better, hasn't half of our squad been targeted by others this summer.

anyway, good luck to Moyes at villa park. :rolleyes::o

where'd everton finish last season?

where are they at the moment?

dont actually believe the moyes thing, but id love to see him get the job pyurely to shut x in the city up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

hed have a lot more i reckon

he'd be backed as much as o'neill was anyway
    They have both sold players on that the manager didn't want sold but Everton gave most of the money from the Lescott sale to Moyes whereas Villa were not giving much from the Milner sale to O'Neill. I'd say if anything Everton would be the more favourable club for a manager right now given that they have tied up a lot of their best players on long term deals.

dont actually believe the moyes thing, but id love to see him get the job pyurely to shut x in the city up

after 3 games, Im not too bothered. I think Everton are miles better than Villa.

Moyes would want a hole in his head to go there, it clearly is not a step up, and he is no dunce. If he leaves Everton it will be to a club with far loftier ambitions, that is all.

after 3 games, Im not too bothered. I think Everton are miles better than Villa.

Moyes would want a hole in his head to go there, it clearly is not a step up, and he is no dunce. If he leaves Everton it will be to a club with far loftier ambitions, that is all.

so much better they continually finish miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles ahead of villa in points every single year ever?

eagle eye wrote: »
    They have both sold players on that the manager didn't want sold but Everton gave most of the money from the Lescott sale to Moyes whereas Villa were not giving much from the Milner sale to O'Neill. I'd say if anything Everton would be the more favourable club for a manager right now given that they have tied up a lot of their best players on long term deals.

can you blame villa for not giving mon the milner money given the amount he'd wasted? and he'd still not addressed the wage issue either

imo moyes would be backed to the hilt at villa - any new manager will be until, like mon, they prove theyre not to be trusted with unrestricted funds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I don't think Moyes can do much more with Everton. He has done pretty much all you can and on a small budget.

Maybe he fancies a change in scenery. I think there is more money to spend at Villa, even if some was held back from O'Neill. Villa can probably pay better wages. Villa have a chance at 4th if they get on a roll. Would be hilarious to see them pip City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Load of crap Helix, the wage bill restrictions are in place and with those restrictions in place no manager will be able to be backed to the hilt.

Moyes would be making a step down or at the most a step sideways unless Lerner is going to lash the money in and change restrictions.

• Advertisement

I think moyes is a top manager.

What he's done at Everton with the money constraints has been remarkable.

In all honesty, I'd say it's a load of bs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Moyes is a manager I have a fierce amount of admiration for. I think getting him would be massive for Villa.

But I'll only believe it when I see it. Didn't Torres to Chelsea and Ozil to United get backed into odds on previously this Summer, not to mention the many times the same happened regarding Benitez leaving Liverpool over the years.

I also think David Villa to Liverpool may have been suspended by bookies last year iirc.

We couldnt even afford one of his legs ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Sidewards step for him if true. Obviously don't like anything about Everton football club in any way but this would be a big blow to them as a club and could see them struggle big time.

Villain wrote: »
    Load of crap Helix, the wage bill restrictions are in place and with those restrictions in place no manager will be able to be backed to the hilt.

Moyes would be making a step down or at the most a step sideways unless Lerner is going to lash the money in and change restrictions.

honestly i think youre wrong there

mon just wasnt trusted with money any more until he cleared his mistakes off the wage bill, and i honestly dont think anyone could argue with that being the right course of action from lerner

new managers dont come cheap, theyll always need a load of financial backing, and itll be no different for the new man at villa. he'll be backed every bit as much as mon was before it became apparent his misses were too costly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Posted this on the Villa thread and reposting here

It's all coming from the fact that Moyes and Randy shook hands at the match and some random guy on twitter said that the new manager would be from the PL and cause a stir in the league \ be a shock.

The a bunch of guys on Villatalk bet on Moyes hence his odds start to go down and others jump on the bandwagon pushing it further down.

honestly i think youre wrong there

mon just wasnt trusted with money any more until he cleared his mistakes off the wage bill, and i honestly dont think anyone could argue with that being the right course of action from lerner

new managers dont come cheap, theyll always need a load of financial backing, and itll be no different for the new man at villa. he'll be backed every bit as much as mon was before it became apparent his misses were too costly

I partly agree with you, but I still think most of the wage structure is still in place.

I think a new manager will be allowed to sign maybe 1 or 2 extra players before selling but MON would have had to get rid of someone for every player he got in.

We will still have to clear the deadwood but a new manager will have some leeway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

can you blame villa for not giving mon the milner money given the amount he'd wasted? and he'd still not addressed the wage issue either

imo moyes would be backed to the hilt at villa - any new manager will be until, like mon, they prove theyre not to be trusted with unrestricted funds
    His signings last year worked out pretty well. Three of them are first team starters, one is a project for the future and one didn't work out too good. Thats a good summer's work by any standard.

The club were right in the mix for CL football until the very end of the season. They finished with more points than last year despite the fact that two clubs improved significantly on their previous season so imo you give him the money if he feels that CL football is achievable in the 2010/11 season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Bad move tbh. Villa are going to finish outside the top 10 this season. It's a sinking ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

For a minute I misread the thread as David O'Leary, now that would have been something

I wouldn't be surprised if this rumour was true, Moyes has done all he can at Everton and could see Villa as a new challenge with an opportunity to go one step further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Cant see Moyes going anywhere. After spending the summer tying Arteta, Rodwell, Baines, Cahill and Coleman to new long term deals it would be a kick in the nuts to them boys if he left. And Moyes is on the guts of £70k a week at Everton. I doubt Villa were paying O Neill that to be honest. Dont go Moysie :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

matrim wrote: »

It's all coming from the fact that Moyes and Randy shook hands at the match and some random guy on twitter said that the new manager would be from the PL and cause a stir in the league \ be a shock.

The a bunch of guys on Villatalk bet on Moyes hence his odds start to go down and others jump on the bandwagon pushing it further down.

As they say on t'internet: this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Just seen this on the teamtalk rumour room - best7 (Manchester United)

Heard Moyes has asked to leave Everton for Villa as Bill Kenwright as agreed a deal to sell Jack Rodwell to Manchester United behind his back and against his will. Transfer might not go though in time but will be done latest January.

It's total bull****, but the problem is that the media perpetuates this idea that Utd can just pluck any player away any time they want to. I don't want to get into a big Kenwright debate, but even his biggest detractors would agree that he wouldn't sell Rodwell against Moyes wishes - Moyes and Kenwright are as thick-as-thieves and best mates. Furthermore, Rodwell signed a 5 year contract 3 months ago - I mean, how much clearer can it be that the lad wants to stay at Everton and is settled? That poster mentioning it will be 'done in January' - since when does anyone sign a player of significance in the January window, and for loads of money too? It's just people chatting complete ****, utterly laughable. Sadly, it's the Sky Sports News world we live in though.

I've just been winding myself up by reading posts on teamtalk from Villa fans as well. They think he's coming to them. Stuff like 'come on Moyes, you'll be coming to a bigger club'. I mean they couldn't sell out a game against one of their big rivals. They sing about 'signing on' when Birmingham has much as high an unemployment than Liverpool. They are thick as they come on that site :pac:

Agree that it would be a sideways move but as well as that, would break my heart.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Just seen this on the teamtalk rumour room - best7 (Manchester United)

Heard Moyes has asked to leave Everton for Villa as Bill Kenwright as agreed a deal to sell Jack Rodwell to Manchester United behind his back and against his will. Transfer might not go though in time but will be done latest January.

It's total bull****, but the problem is that the media perpetuates this idea that Utd can just pluck any player away any time they want to. I don't want to get into a big Kenwright debate, but even his biggest detractors would agree that he wouldn't sell Rodwell against Moyes wishes - Moyes and Kenwright are as thick-as-thieves and best mates. Furthermore, Rodwell signed a 5 year contract 3 months ago - I mean, how much clearer can it be that the lad wants to stay at Everton and is settled? That poster mentioning it will be 'done in January' - since when does anyone sign a player of significance in the January window, and for loads of money too? It's just people chatting complete ****, utterly laughable. Sadly, it's the Sky Sports News world we live in though.

I've just been winding myself up by reading posts on teamtalk from Villa fans as well. They think he's coming to them. Stuff like 'come on Moyes, you'll be coming to a bigger club'. I mean they couldn't sell out a game against one of their big rivals. They sing about 'signing on' when Birmingham has much as high an unemployment than Liverpool. They are thick as they come on that site :pac:

Agree that it would be a sideways move but as well as that, would break my heart.

Really? You don't seem all that bothered... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Leaving aside the details of this particular situation, the topic of Moyes always interests me. I mainly agree with the general sentiment that he has done a good job with Everton. What I don't agree with is the following statement that gets thrown around when he is the subject of conversation:

"He'd be mad to move until a massive club comes in for him"

Moyes is 47 and has been at Everton for eight years. He has been accepted as doing a great job with Everton since they finished fourth in 2005. In the five years since then, Chelsea have changed manager twice, Liverpool once, Man City with money three times, big jobs in Italy have come and gone, in France, Germany, etc, etc. Not once has Moyes been a favourite from a betting perspective for a big job, nor has any club officially approached Everton for permission to talk to him with regard to filling such positions.

It's grand for everyone to say he's doing a great job. And it's understandable that Everton fans believe that they are genuinely working towards the next step. However, I think Everton have a ceiling financially that limits them from investing at a much higher clip. And I think he has been there long enough to have maxed out what can be achieved through innovation and hard work alone.

A situation like Aston Villa might not be a massive step forward, but there are a few elements that make it a better situation. When Coyle moved to Bolton last year, people were lining up on here to express their astonishment and denounce it as a pointless step sideways - and look how that turned out.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Leaving aside the details of this particular situation, the topic of Moyes always interests me. I mainly agree with the general sentiment that he has done a good job with Everton. What I don't agree with is the following statement that gets thrown around when he is the subject of conversation:

"He'd be mad to move until a massive club comes in for him"

Moyes is 47 and has been at Everton for eight years. He has been accepted as doing a great job with Everton since they finished fourth in 2005. In the five years since then, Chelsea have changed manager twice, Liverpool once, Man City with money three times, big jobs in Italy have come and gone, in France, Germany, etc, etc. Not once has Moyes been a favourite from a betting perspective for a big job, nor has any club officially approached Everton for permission to talk to him with regard to filling such positions.

It's grand for everyone to say he's doing a great job. And it's understandable that Everton fans believe that they are genuinely working towards the next step. However, I think Everton have a ceiling financially that limits them from investing at a much higher clip. And I think he has been there long enough to have maxed out what can be achieved through innovation and hard work alone.

A situation like Aston Villa might not be a massive step forward, but there are a few elements that make it a better situation. When Coyle moved to Bolton last year, people were lining up on here to express their astonishment and denounce it as a pointless step sideways - and look how that turned out.

I was actually thinking the exact same thing earlier, but in fairness, the disparity between Burnley and Bolton is much greater than that which exists between Everton and Villa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement