Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview with prospective landlady

Options
  • 30-08-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering; myself and the other half went looking at an apartment tonight.. It is a lovely apartment and we are seriously interested in renting it. To the point that based on the pictures on Daft.ie we decided to bring a deposit with us.

Now after we had a look around we sat down for a chat with the LL (nothing odd in that itself) but here's the questions, she proceeded to ask us a lot of what I would call personal questions. She explained to us that the previous tenants were a couple who had a small child, they kept the place immaculate (bar the standard ware and tear) for four and a half years. He was a laborer and appears to have been very handy around the house and fixed any electrical problems etc.

Anyway, she proceeded to ask us all the usual questions; where we worked, where we were living currently, why we were moving and so on. She then asked us about our personal lives, what were our hobbies, what did we like to do when we got home from work, how long we had been together (3yrs, living together for 2), were there any plans to get married. Now these questions I must admit put me on edge, I did sort of think; what right did she have to ask those questions? Now in saying that she explained all the reasons as to why she was curious (didn't want to rent to a couple that had not lived together before/weren't serious, concerned about partying at the weekend/night) which is all fine.

But this in conjunction with her saying that she would "drop in occasionally" (with proper notice per the lease) and that she preferred to have the place kept very well (now while we wouldn't be living in filth, we usually end up with a "lived in look") and I suppose I don't want to live in a museum..

So to sum up this, very long post, I'm asking.. Do we have an issue here? Is this normal? I've rented numerous times before and have never experienced anything like it other then the standard chat you have walking around the place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Yeah sounds like a pain the the arse to me. It's only going to be a sign of things to come.

I've been there before. Use to rent one bed of this nosey old couple in rathmines. Gave me and the o/h an awful time. We're v private ppl but when she requested could she take the original shower curtain for a refurb in the same house because she 'knew we werent using the one she provided' (despire her appatently not being in the apt since we had moved in)...we knew it was time to go....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

She won't be around occasionally, she will be around every few weeks.

In her mind its still her house and you're just paying the mortgage.
    If she finds it unclean or any issues, she will be complaining to you.

Now inspections now and again are fine but that's like every six months.
    And it's not the tenants job to fix electrical problems, if you are your partner can't do it, then she pays for a tradesman, not use you to fix things for free.

No shortage of places to rent, it may be a lovely place but I bet if it's an estate there are one or two others to rent also

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Much obliged to you both!

I have to admit my heart sank a bit when I read your posts... :( We have had one problem with our current landlady when she entered our apartment when she thought we weren't there (we were we were just hiding because we thought it was someone else *cough* tv license inspector *cough*). I suppose thinking about it I don't necessarily mind her coming around to the apartment as long as she follows the terms of the lease and all of that. And I would have no problem informing her that under no circumstances was it any of her business if the place is untidy (i.e. not immaculate).

As for the other tenants fixing things, feelingstressed you are absolutely right it is not our place to fix things, as my o/h said "I've no problem picking up a hammer but I work hard at my job I'm not doing the landlords as well".

Anyway, thanks for the responses I suppose we will have to make a decision when she makes her decision about us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Don't forget OP, that as much as a landlady might be sizing you up, you have the responsiblity to make the decision if this is the right landlady for you.

Its a renter's market at the moment, and at the top of the pile are couples who are in jobs. Personally I think that is unfair, however it seems to be the way things are.

Regardless of how nice the place is, you have had fair warning of the type of nuisance you would have to put up with her. She is way out of line asking you those personal questions, and she sounds like she will be grief.

Unless you are well able to deal with her type, and are dead set on the place, nip it in the bud, look elsewhere, there are loads of sound landlords/landladys who would be delighted to have you as tenants!

If you decide to risk it with her be very clear on the lease, get it checked out, and make sure that you brush up on landlord's and tenant's rights before entering into any final agreement with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Totally agree - walk away from this pain in the arse. There is loads out there - in fact I would probably have walked out have way through the interegation to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

hey meganj the other posters here have some valid points but as you said yourself she explained why she was asking each question to suss out were ye serious would there be parties etc. so I think that's fair enough.
    Only question I'd be concerned about was if ye intended to marry!
    Now only you know from her tone was she just been friendly and chatty or was she a nosey myna?!

Look, on a positive note, I think it's good that she is showing an interest in you and wishes to maintain a certain standard in the property. Did she actually say that repairs would be your responsibility? That's something you would need to clarify.

In terms of her dropping in I'd say she just wanted to see would that be off-putting to ye as in is there any reason ye wouldn't want her calling around. In any case she couldn't call in within arranging it with you both first and giving due notice so I can't imagine it been an issue.

One question I would ask myself...if another couple stayed there for 4.5yrs she can't exactly be the devil incarnate! She prob only has one property and wants it looked after. In my experience a landlord like that is normally easier and sounder to deal with than a money grabbing property developer who only cares that they get paid

I wouldn't dismiss the place straight away, sounds like ye had yer hearts set on it. Try to iron out these issues with her and know where ye stand re: repairs and house calls.

Happy house-hunting!:)

Advertisement