Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School 1970 V 2010

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Brendog wrote: »
    Its so ****...

Theres something wrong with kids today that makes them think if they get into a fight, its to the death.

If you get into a fight with someone, you throw a few digs and the better man wins. Shake hands and **** off.
    Not show up the next day and stick a knife in him. What does that actually prove?

The amount of times I've seen people exchange words outside a pub and then theres a knife pointed at them.
    What is the actual point?

It's easier. If you're going to a fight would you want to risk a bloodied nose? Of course not. You'd be much safer trying to stab or shoot the other guy.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

why would MI5 be involved, tis not england we're in,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

[/QUOTE]
    It's easier. If you're going to a fight would you want to risk a bloodied nose? Of course not. You'd be much safer trying to stab or shoot the other guy.:P

If only Barneys...I love you, your love me worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Gary4279 wrote: »
    1970: Those leaving school face unemployment, tough access to 3rd level education and possible emigration.

2010: Those leaving school face unemployment, tough access to 3rd level education and possible emigration.

Same ****, different decade.

No, you don't get it. the 70's were the golden years, nothing bad happened ever.
    And the pupils of 1970 are probably the parents in 2010 who helped create the 2010 crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

1970 School kids had to put up with travelling to school in dirty ancient black and tan diesel trains and post war busses that one had to enter through a corner corner in the rear. :eek:

2010 Electric trains, bus lanes and a modern fleet. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

1970 School kids had to put up with travelling to school in dirty ancient black and tan diesel trains and post war busses that one had to enter through a corner corner in the rear. :eek:

Country folk!
    1970 Walk to school, even if its 4 miles away. Be carefull of any bulls who may have escaped from nearby fields.

2010 Buses, bumpy ride to school, try and dodge the potholes. 1995 bus considered modern. What bus lane?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

1970: Bus Eireann buys new buses that are state of the art

2010: Bus Eireann still using the same buses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I was a schoolkid in the 70's. Cooool buses they were. Jump on, jump off.
    Yep indeedy. Dublin bus's old name CIE was better and would still work today, since experience showed it stood for Cycling Is Easier.

There was defo less PC bahollocks alright. When it came to kids being kids anyway. That said if Fr Joe was interfering with said kids nada would be said(though I have to say I heard nary even a sniff of that when I was a kid). The church still ruled in most ways, but even under that people largely ignored them, except for the forelock tuggers whom we are destined to be cursed with forever more. Prices were changing all the time. When I started school a coke was 8 pence, when I finished it was 50. Ahh inflation, I knew thee well.

One thing I do note on thinking back, a helluva lot less allergies and asthmatic kids. In my entire year there was one, just one kid who had hay fever and asthma. Nice bloke, but considered unusual and even as kids(who can be cnuts at best) we looked out for him. Now every third kid is huffing inhalers or allergic to something or other. Better diagnosis? I call shenanigans on that one. Asthma can be a serious illness so why weren't many of my classmates falling over wheezing to death? Pollution and ciggy smoke causes it? I call arse to that too. Before the smokeless fuel act Dublin at least was a lot more smokey. No catalytic converters on leaded fuel cars either. And smoking? You could smoke anywhere. Hell I recall my dad visiting an uncle in hospital and my dad having a ciggy in the waiting room. CInemas? No bother. Pubs? well of course. A lot less of the numpties with such sensitive noses they can smell tobacco smoke from 20 metres away. :rolleyes: When you see some complain of people smoking in their cars and they smell it in their own following cars? Jesus wept..... Get a bloody life. I note some diffs with fat kids. The "fat lad" in my year was by some of todays standards barely carrying puppy fat. Ditto for adults. There was defo less fat people.

I think it was a safer time, if even in the public perception. Women had a lot less rights though which is also arse. That is a very welcome change.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Wibbs wrote: »
    I was a schoolkid in the 70's. Cooool buses they were. Jump on, jump off.
    Cool but the Taitans wouldn't pass todays strict safety standards.

At CBC Monkstown we had a "smoking room" reserved for 5th & 6th years only with parental concent. This was 1980. You wouldn't get away with that now. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The smoking room in my school kept going until 1990 and yea no way could you have that now. Can you imagine the outcry?:eek::eek::eek:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement