Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a lovely Pear!

Options
  • 30-08-2010 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi folks

I have 2 pear trees a Conference and a Comice. Both quite young. But bearing fruit for 2 years now. This year the Conference had a lot of fruit on it (probably too much for such a small tree) but I had it well supported.

Just as the fruit was ripening each and every one was attacked intially by birds and then by flies and wasps. Netting is always an option but didnt work on the flies and wasps once they became interested. The stripped the tree of ALL the fruit.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know much about pears, but I seem to remember that you pick them before they are ripe and let them ripen indoors somewhere cool. There might be more to it than that, maybe someone else will have details.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

looksee wrote: »
    I don't know much about pears, but I seem to remember that you pick them before they are ripe and let them ripen indoors somewhere cool. There might be more to it than that, maybe someone else will have details.

The Fruit must be very close to being ripe for the Birds to be attracted..
    Guess you could try Traps for the Wasps... (Something more "sweeter" than the developing fruit) I use just empty jam jars half filled with water.... But sometimes this seems to attract more of the [email]B@%*@&ds....But[/email] at least they Drown!! Haven't seen any "traps" on the Market

Advertisement