Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear wireless connection showing as connected, but can't connect to internet/

Options
  • 30-08-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, just got a Netgear wireless (unsecured)router, on my deskptop and sister's laptop it shows that it is connected to the wireless network, but when I try to surf online the browsers are coming up that I'm offline, I've switched back to the eircom netopia router and the wireless is working on that for my P.C. Any ideas why I can't get online?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

siblers wrote: »
    Hey, just got a Netgear wireless (unsecured)router, on my deskptop and sister's laptop it shows that it is connected to the wireless network, but when I try to surf online the browsers are coming up that I'm offline, I've switched back to the eircom netopia router and the wireless is working on that for my P.C. Any ideas why I can't get online?

More information please? The netgear router didnt just appear presumably?

What model no etc etc - what are you trying to do with it?

The basic problem is that you have two routing functions engaged now with the addition of the netgear. There are ways around this but it would help to know what exactly you are trying to achieve with the addition of the netgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Is the Negear definitely an ADSL router (like the Eircom Netopia one) or are you using it in addition to the Eircom one, i.e is the Netgear connected to the Eircom and you have 2 wireless networks? Either setup can be made to work. Netgear model number would help alright.

It sounds like either a problem with the IP settings or the DNS settings on the laptop when it connects to the Netgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Yeah It's a ADSL router (DG834PN) I'm planning on using it to replace the eircom one as I was having some wireless problems with the eircom one. When I go to wireless connection both the netgear and eircom wireless connections appear, I disable the eircom one and connect to netgear, it then says it's connected, signal strength excellent etc (both on my P.C and sister's laptop). I then try to go online on both but it says "page cannot be displayed". Looking around online it seems to be a case of assigning the new wireless connection a new I.P adress and changing the DSN settings.

Have you set up the netgear with the Eircom settings and connected it to the phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

siblers wrote: »
    Yeah It's a ADSL router (DG834PN) When I go to wireless connection both the netgear and eircom wireless connections appear

It's really important that you clarify exactly what way you have things setup there. If both routers are powered up at the same time then are they connected together and if so how (i.e. what cables go from where to where)? Also which router is connected to the phone line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Apologies for lack of info. When I use the netgear router, I unplugged the Eircom router and I then put the cable going from the eircom router into the phoneline into the netgear one. When using the Eircom router, I switch off the netgear router and swap over the phone cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Connect the new router and open your browser. Type the ip address of the router into the address bar (It's usually something like 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.254). Make sure that you have the correct username and password for eircom. Username should be "eircom" and password should be "broadband1".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Don't forget your VPI/VCI settings as well, which are 8 and 35 respectively for eircom.

Just a reminder to people posting with problems - it really is a great help if you include as much information as possible in the first post - it really is frustrating and a great time waster to have to excruciatingly extract basic information over a long number of posts. Boardsies are not mind readers please provide the information at the start if you can at all.

Advertisement