Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 TOLL

Options
  • 30-08-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

is it possible to get on the M1 going north & avoiding the toll booths ?
    please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,413 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just stay off the sections from Gormanston to north of Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It is long winded and time wasting in my opinion.
    The fuel economy of leaving the motorway and going through Drogheda town will probably cost you the guts of the €1.90 you will pay at the toll booth.

Anyhow if you still want to save and get to see the sights of Drogheda then take the Julianstown/Drogheda South exit - follow signs for Drogheda all the way up to the town, should take you about 15mins.

Make sure to stay on the Dublin road and don't turn left at the bus station - this road will lead you to the M1 but there is a toll booth that you must use to join. Keep going straight up, the road will veer to the right over the bridge, you then have the choice to go left or straight, even though left is signposted for Navan/Slane it will still bring you straight up to the M1 exit you need to go to.

Edit- it will take you about 15mins to get to Drogheda from the Julianstown exit - It may take you a further 30 mins to get through the town depending on the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

i refuse to pay tolls & road tax. to me road tax is for the use of the roads.
    if no one paid the tolls they woud soon do something.
    the motorists are being ripped off.
    but people will pay.

Sorry off topic here.

So you refuse to pay tolls and road tax? One or the other?
    So do you pay the tax applicable to your car?

To be honest - not paying the toll is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face, it will take you a lot longer and it will be a lot harder on your car. If you're using the entire M1 motorway then paying €1.90 is not that much considering the price of tolls in other counties in Ireland and some other countries in the EU.

Just my opinion.

i do pay road tax on my car.my point is why pay twice to use the roads.
    if you go into a shop do you pay twice for the same item ?
    everyone is entitled to their opinion & that is mine on the subject on tolls & road tax.

• Advertisement

coolvale wrote: »
    everyone is entitled to their opinion & that is mine on the subject on tolls & road tax.

No I wouldn't pay twice for an item in a shop but then most goods are far more expensive in a local convenience store than in a big hypermarket. Same logic applies when I view the toll v going through Drogheda town.

As it happens I live just outside the town and I rarely use the toll - but on the occasions that I do - it is usually to save a lot of time and hassle on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Totally Agree with you OP!!

Turn off at Junction 7 ...(You'll see "Stone Bee Hives" )

And go Through Drogheda ... and as borderlinemeath states go over the Bridge!! ..Turn left I find it shorter and not as much traffic (Plus the traffic lights at the Hospital turn off are a PAIN! )

Why would we want all this extra traffic thru our towns when we have it Bypassed with a motorway... Were we asked do you want these tolls? Motorways Too Expensive??? Just look at the BILLONS that we gave to these BANKS with no hope for the Rest of us!!

Sorry Of Track... Really Annoyed.

over on the isle of sky they put a toll on the new bridge but there was such an uproar they decided to scrap the toll.
    now there are no tolls anywhere in scotland. why then do we here in ireland have tolls ?
    whats the difference in 1 country & another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

My bone of contention with the M1 is not the North/South tolls but really the ones into/out of Drogheda at junction 9 which are an absolute disgrace imo and should never have been allowed. The absence of these tolls along with a ban on trucks would have freed up the town of all traffic problems and with little cost to NRA. For that reason I avoid them where I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

i do pay road tax on my car.

No you don't.

No one in Ireland does.

Motor Tax maybe, but not road tax.

If you want to pay more in fuel and take approx. 40 mins longer than required - be everyones guest.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    No you don't.

No one in Ireland does.

Motor Tax maybe, but not road tax.

If you want to pay more in fuel and take approx. 40 mins longer than required - be everyones guest.

call it what you like, road tax or motor tax its tax on the use of the roads.

call it what you like, road tax or motor tax its tax on the use of the roads.

Nope. It's taxation on owning a motor vehicle.

It's not used primarily for the roads. It all goes to the county council who spend it how they see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

over on the isle of sky they put a toll on the new bridge but there was such an uproar they decided to scrap the toll.
    now there are no tolls anywhere in scotland. why then do we here in ireland have tolls ?
    whats the difference in 1 country & another.
    George Monbiot wrote a chapter about it in his book Captive State. There's a short summary of the carry-on here.

It didn't happen overnight. There was a huge campaign of civil disobedience and legal challenges. A lot of regular people were taken to court a fair distance away and it cost them a lot. I'm not if we'd do that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Your actually paying to use the bridge anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

draffodx wrote: »
    That's what I thought, but there are also toll booths on some of the entrances/exits near the main ones, so you could be paying the toll and not using the bridge.

Please collect me if I'm wrong. I normally get on the motorway and stay on it for a bit.

That's what I thought, but there are also toll booths on some of the entrances/exits near the main ones, so you could be paying the toll and not using the bridge.

Please collect me if I'm wrong. I normally get on the motorway and stay on it for a bit.

You do end up paying the toll and not using the bridge if you are going northbound and take either of the first 2 exits after the toll - which are still on the south side of the river - which is a bit unfair.

Same if you head southbound from the retail park with Harvey Normans. You'll hit the toll plaza before the next exit.

I only ever pay the toll if I'm going for fuel in Tesco as it saves about 25 minutes compared to getting off at Julianstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

draffodx wrote: »

If this is True then Anyone going into Drogheda, should be not be required to pay the toll!!!

So why are we paying for a service we have not used!!

R.O.R wrote: »
    Nope. It's taxation on owning a motor vehicle.

It's not used primarily for the roads. It all goes to the county council who spend it how they see fit.

if you own a motor vehicle & have it your back garden for scrap or say as a hen house do you pay tax on it , do scrap dealers pay tax on every vehicle thay have in their yard ?
    im sure they dont its only if the vehicle is on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

What would happen if the everyday motorist did a work to rule.

e.g. spend 5 mins per car looking for the toll money under seats etc.

Lets say 1 day a week for starters, sure there will be massive tailbacks back up to slip roads,the economy suffers... people get delayed, but knowing this other folks will avoid the motorway too!!

This could be done instead of constant crying and moaning about it.

Facebook campaign anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

For God's sake, folks, it's a toll road. Live with it. If you don't want to pay the toll, don't use the road. Simple as that.

And, by the way, it's a toll ROAD, not a toll BRIDGE. The tolled section is from the roundabout north of the bridge to the roundabout at the CityNorth Hotel. That's why you have to pay the toll if you come on @ Duleek/Donore interchange heading south, or if you come off @ the same interchange heading north. In those cases, you're not using the bridge, but you ARE using the tolled section of the road.

• Advertisement

For God's sake, folks, it's a toll road. Live with it. If you don't want to pay the toll, don't use the road. Simple as that.

And, by the way, it's a toll ROAD, not a toll BRIDGE. The tolled section is from the roundabout north of the bridge to the roundabout at the CityNorth Hotel. That's why you have to pay the toll if you come on @ Duleek/Donore interchange heading south, or if you come off @ the same interchange heading north. In those cases, you're not using the bridge, but you ARE using the tolled section of the road.

Never mentioned anything about not paying.

And why should we live with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ligertigon wrote: »
    What would happen if the everyday motorist did a work to rule.

e.g. spend 5 mins per car looking for the toll money under seats etc.

Lets say 1 day a week for starters, sure there will be massive tailbacks back up to slip roads,the economy suffers... people get delayed, but knowing this other folks will avoid the motorway too!!

This could be done instead of constant crying and moaning about it.

Facebook campaign anyone?

The award for most childish idea of the year goes too...

For Pete's sake don't use the road if you have a problem.

Cause traffic jams for people trying to get to work every day? Moronic, self-defeating nonsense.

I don't usually get angry at the notions that pop up here every now and again but this left me fuming.

If you don't want to use the toll road that's fine but why make the rest of the thousands of motorists suffer for your misguided dementia?

Chill man.

I have no problem with a toll road to cover its cost.

Its when its paid for and they keep begging, thats my gripe.

You asked why make motorist suffer in jams because of my misguided dementia?

It would be nothing to do with me... It would be the peoples voice.

I alone cannot cause jams mate. I think you're the one with dementia, not me.

Bit of news for you, Ligertigon. The world doesn't revolve around you. There are other people using this thread too, you know.

If my post had been aimed at you, I would have quoted you in my post, like I did this time.

Because it's a fact of life that you cannot change. Like tax. If you don't like it, then don't use the road. No amount of Facebook campaigns are gonna change it.

Go back 20 years when we didn't have the M50 or toll roads or practically any motorways.
    A cross country journey would take you the best part of the day.
    Now you can be in Galway or Cork or Belfast in vastly reduced times on vastly superior roads that believe it or not need upkeep and maintenence from time to time.

Do you think they repair themselves with all the builders trucks, haulage lorries and huge increases in car numbers that use them?

A pothole in a by road is the responsibility of the local council - and we all know how long it can take to get them filled in.
    Imagine leaving the same pothole on a motorway for a truck or a bus to hit it at 60/70mph and cause a huge accident?

I use the M1 on a regular basis, not always using the toll as most times I don't have to but I never see any potholes or any damage to the road that isn't dealt with pretty much immediately.

Go back 20 years when we didn't have the M50 or toll roads or practically any motorways.
    A cross country journey would take you the best part of the day.
    Now you can be in Galway or Cork or Belfast in vastly reduced times on vastly superior roads that believe it or not need upkeep and maintenence from time to time.

Do you think they repair themselves with all the builders trucks, haulage lorries and huge increases in car numbers that use them?

A pothole in a by road is the responsibility of the local council - and we all know how long it can take to get them filled in.
    Imagine leaving the same pothole on a motorway for a truck or a bus to hit it at 60/70mph and cause a huge accident?

I use the M1 on a regular basis, not always using the toll as most times I don't have to but I never see any potholes or any damage to the road that isn't dealt with pretty much immediately.

Your correct, they dont repair themselves, and neither does anyone else.
    J16 Dundalk south is a disgrace and has been for the last year. It should have a 60kph speed limit. potholes galore and an adjoining sliproad that runs out of traction surface midway through the corner:eek:
    Irish motorways use second grade surface material, look how long the uk motorways have lasted...

And sorry op, this thread is gone way off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Your correct, they dont repair themselves, and neither does anyone else.
    J16 Dundalk south is a disgrace and has been for the last year. It should have a 60kph speed limit. potholes galore and an adjoining sliproad that runs out of traction surface midway through the corner:eek:
    Irish motorways use second grade surface material, look how long the uk motorways have lasted...

J16 is my daily exit. Not a thing wrong with it. I see no potholes and traction is fine.

UK motorways are repaired and maintained just like ours and every other.

Our Toll roads are very well kept and worth the charge. Paid €8.50 in Tolls from Cork yesterday. Got to Dundalk in just over 3 hours with a pleasent drive involving no pressure, cruise control all the way. Worth every cent.

J16 is my daily exit. Not a thing wrong with it. I see no potholes and traction is fine.

UK motorways are repaired and maintained just like ours and every other.

Our Toll roads are very well kept and worth the charge. Paid €8.50 in Tolls from Cork yesterday. Got to Dundalk in just over 3 hours with a pleasent drive involving no pressure, cruise control all the way. Worth every cent.

Your use of cruise control would have saved you the toll amount in fuel economy:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Between me and my girlfriend useing the same car we would spend 1400 euro a year on the toll have to use the toll at least 2 times every day 7 days a week.

Even useing the toll so much it is not worth the money avoiding it i have a few times and no more it costs more in fuel and then the extra time it is just not worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement