Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After 1 year of dieting I am now doing Stronglifts 5X5

Options
  • 30-08-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Well I'm exactly a year at this dieting lark. So far I have managed to go from 21 stone 3lbs to 14 stone 10 lbs. I did this with a mixture of cardio (cross trainer and squash) and free weights (8 exercises, 1 for each muscle group). I generally did 3 sets of 12 exercises and didnt see huge gains so now I want to get more toned with extra muscle and lose the belly fat I have left on the gut!

Diet wise is pretty good.
    Breakfast - Porridge, low fat milk, honey and cup of coffee
    Mid morning - 2 mandarins
    Lunch - Wrap with Ham, cucumber and lettuce. Salad (carrot, rocket, sweetcorn, cucumber with some honey and mustard dressing), low fat yoghurt.
    Mid afternoon (pre workout) - small can of tuna, 10 hazlenuts and some impact whey isolate
    Post workout - impact whey isolate
    Dinner - generally 2 pieces of fish or chicken with stir fried veg and a small bit of soy sauce

Unfortunately there is a few extras in there, biscuits and the odd pints! I should add I'm doing weight watchers so i always try and maintain a calorie deficit.

So here goes!

Workout 1 (30/08/10)

Squat 20kg 5X5
    Bench 45kg 5X5
    Inverted row 13, 8, 7
    Push Ups 17, 13, 8
    Reverse Crunches 3X12

Cardio - 30 minutes HIIT on the cross trainer (5 minute warm up, 20 minute of 1 minute sprints, 2 minutes low intensity, 5 minute cool down) on level 10. Calories burned 594, distance travelled - 5.6km

Notes:

Not liking the squat, i dont have trhe flexibility I think for it on my back, really hurts my arms. Going to try front squats next time. weights wise it was easy as my legs are very strong. Not going to rush it though, want to make sure I dont do any damage.
    Bench was fine, I normally bench more so I just dropped it by 30%. Inverted rows were good, first time I ever did them. Push ups, god I remember the days when I couldnt do 1! Reverse crunches were tough on the third set but I got through them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Stick at the squats. Just get lots of practice in. Even at home with a broom.

You should work on your flexibility issues, don't try and avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Sangre wrote: »
    Stick at the squats. Just get lots of practice in. Even at home with a broom.

You should work on your flexibility issues, don't try and avoid them.

yeah tried the broom earlier, was a killer though. definitely not dropping them, might just switch to front squats while i work on my flexibility for a couple of weeks.

31/08/10

tried a kettlebell class tonight, it was class. Really good cardio and there was quite a bit of strength involved so liked that as well. Kind of wondering what to do now as like both exercises.

My short term plan is to do both. M/W/F Starting Strength with HIIT and Tuesday/Thursday Kettlebells. Not sure on how I'll do but I'll give it a go for a week or two and if I feel its too much I'll drop off on the HIIT.

Looking forward to session 2 tomorrow. Although I'm still on low weights, more technique still then anything else!

Workout 2 (01/09/2010)

Squat 22.5 5X5
    Overhead Press 20 5X5
    Deadlift 40 1X5
    Chin up 6X5X5
    Prone bridge 3X30 secs

Bit sore today on account of the kettlebells, abs were so sore had to roll out of bed this morning, couldnt sit up!

Technique was much better for the squat today, did some stretches recommended by a friend so was able to hold the bar more comfortable. Got down low as well and kept chest up and back and hips were good. Easy to do the lifts as weight is still low but dont mind for now.

Overhead press and deadlift were fine, think my technique is alright for the deadlift.

Cant do pull ups yet so stuck with chinups, tough but got through them

Thought prone bridges were going to be easy but towards the end they qere quite tough

Did another HIIT session as well so feeling pretty good.

02/09/2010

Wow my legs hurt today, I was not looking forward to kettlebells tonight. did a lot of snatches (sniggers) , squats and swings. 16 kg kettlebell as well so moved up after only 1 session. Not as much ab work thank god, only 100 reps in total on the abs. Great workout though for 40 minutes, really want to know how many calories I burn so I'm going to have to buy that HRM!

Workout 3 of 5X5 tomorrow then its a well deserved break for the weekend!

• Advertisement

Workout 3 (03/09/2010)

Lower back was a bit sore today, didn't stand up straight enough last night during the swings in kettlebells I think. Legs were a bit sore but not as bad!

Squat 25 5X5
    Bench Press 47.5 5X5
    Inverted rows 15X8X6
    Push Up (5kg weight on my upper back) 14 10 4
    Reverse Crunches 3X12

I'm still trying to get the squat sorted, looked like I was coming down low enough and I was pushing in to the ground and pushing my hips up on the way up. Back was still a bit sore on some of them so I'm just going to have to keep on practicing.

Bench was fine. Inverted rows were similar to the last time. Since I went over 15 on the bench last time I put a weight on my back, felt better after doing it, was very tough, especially the last set. Reverse crunches werent as bad since I have been doing Ab work all week in Kettlebells.

Looking forward to a weekend break now!

Workout 4 (06/09/2010)

Few pints over the weekend, not good, starting to feel its not worth it anymore!

Squat 27.5 5X5
    Overhead Press 22.5 5X5
    Deadlift 45 3X5
    Chin Up 6X6X5
    Prone Bridge 3X30 secs

TF can be full of clowns sometimes. I had some wa**er coming over to me mid set asking when I was finished, nothing wrong with that of course but I said he could join in if he wants and he laughed at me saying I was lifting nowhere near what he can do. Some people are just tossers, you have to start somewhere.

Anyway yes I am on low weights but I dont care, nothing to prove to anyone other then myself!

Squats were fine, form was good, looked at a few people around me and they werent getting down parallel to the floor, even though I'm only 4 workouts in I'm already critisizing other peoples techniques!

Overhead press was fine as well, I know that will be my hardest one once the weight increases. Deadlift was dead easy but I think im doing it wrong, only when I come down, had a sound lad look at it for me to give me a few pointers so I did 2 more sets with correct form just to practice.

Still cant do pull ups so stuck with chin ups, they felt good. Prone bridges were handy as well so I might put some weight on my lower back for resistance.

07/09/2010

Kettlebells!

Good workout tonight, was wrecked afterwards. It was 2 sets of warm ups followed by a 30 minute intense workout. 10 minutes of 150 ab crunches(different exercise for each 25). Tough going, only one exercise I couldnt do, had to spring myself up using only my legs whilst holding the weight, brutal!

Workout 5 (08/09/2010)

I'm pleased to report I have lost 7lbs this week, well I know thats far too much but I think last weeks weigh in didnt do me justice by putting on 3! Either way I am off to America on Saturday for 10 days so I know I will do some damage over there. My excuse is you have to let loose now and again, I do plan on going to the gym though, problem is there is only a smith machine in the one I am going to so squats wont be great.

on to the workout:

Squats 30kg 5X5
    Bench 50kg 5X5
    Inverted Row 15X9X6
    Push Up (5 kilo weight on back) 15X9X6
    Reverse Crunch 3X12

Squat was good today, form wise, weight was still light as I have strong legs but I'm in no rush, not going to race ahead....yet!
    Bench was fine but I did feel a bit tired on the last set, that will get tougher in a few weeks.
    Inverted rows are always tough but good, still the same in those.
    Push ups were better then last time, might add an extra couple of kilo on to them. Reverse crunches were ok as I have been doing a lot of ab exercises in Kettlebells so the stomach is stronger, not that theres much abs there behind the wall of flesh anyways!

edit: also did my HIIT on the cross trainer, 550 cals burnt, 5.5km distance travelled, always tough going but rewarding!

09/09/10

Ah Kettlebells, always a killer. Today was more strength then cardio, was very tough. couldnt handle the 16 kilos on all the exercises, had to drop to 12.

Only one more day of training tomorrow before I go on my holidays. I will workout on the boat, no squat rack though so will just do everything else.

• Advertisement

Workout 6 - 10/09/10

Squat - 32.5 5X5
    Overhead Press 25 5X5
    Deadlift 50 1X5
    Pull up 7X6X5
    Prone Bridge 3X30 seconds with a 5 kilo weight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Just saw this log... unreal weight loss.

Which TF are you training in?

Workout 7 20/09/10

Ah just back from holidays, glad to went straight to the gym as I didnt do anything while away! No fre weights and only a smith machine so just took the week off instead. I know I have paid for it because I ate and drank like a fish! Probably put on a huge amount of weight. Anyway I have no plans now between now and the end of the year to go away so I can take a strong stab at it.

Squat 35 5X5
    Bench 52.5 5X5
    Inverted row 10X8X6
    Push up 14X9X5
    Reverse Cruch 3X12 (15 kilo)

Wasnt as bad as I thought today, didn't do great on the inverted rows in comparison but everything else seemed ok, reverse crunches were tougher then usual though. Legs are a bit sore tonight from the squats.

Looking forward to getting back on track now!

Hanley wrote: »
    Just saw this log... unreal weight loss.

Which TF are you training in?

Cheers Hanley, although I was in the States for over a week there so I';m sure I made a pretty good dent in the diet!

Up in TF Sandyford

21/09/10

Kettlebells = brutal. Amazing how you lose your fitness after just 1 week!

Did quite a long warmup followed by some swings(double handed and single, snatches and squats)

Then did a circuit workout and finished off with some ab work.

Going to be hurting tomorrow!

Workout 8 22/09/10

Well the jet lag destoryed me so I decided to head up to TF this morning at 6.30am. Surprisingly quite a few people up there, I have seen less there on a Saturday morning! Also I put on quite a bit of weight int he last 2 weeks, back up to 15 stone 2.5lbs. Although the week before I went away I had lost 7lbs randomly so I guess I will figure out what I really am next week. My clothes feel fine on me but I wont put most of the add on weight to muscle growth!

Anyways...

Squat 37.5 5X5
    Overhead Press 27.5 5X5
    Deadlift 55 1X5
    Chin Ups 6X5X4
    Prone Bridges 3X30 secs (5 kilo weight on my back)

HIIT cardio on the cross trainer, 552 cals burnt, 5.33 km travelled, that was a killer, amazing how hard cardio can be when you take 10 days off!

Weights were fine bar the overhead press, I know its not going to be long before I struggle on that. I havent done any pull ups so maybe I should start concentrating on them to strengthen the upper body. I have found weight concentrating on my shoulders to be the most difficult. Chin ups were pretty much what I have normally done, since I am carrying extra weight form the last time I did them I'm not too annoyed, also the prone bridges were tougher so theres definitely a bot of extra belly fat down there! tut tut, too much rum.

Quite enjoyed going up in the morning, looking forward to having an evening free tonight although have not slept in 2 days so will prb just hit the sack once I can get out of work!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Don't worry about fast weight gain like that. It's primarily carb storage and/or water weight.

I've gone from 95kg on Monday morning to 92.9kg today because I've been low carbing and upping my activity levels. I could easily gain it all back thru a carb up....

23/09/10

Kettlebells! Yet another tough class. The only one I can;t do is called the windmill with a kettlebell, its just awkward for me!

Anyways tonight I had a heart rate monitor which had some interesting readings.

Class length 53 mins
    Calories 947
    Average heart rate 164
    Maximum 188
    Fat burn 3 minutes
    Fitness 50 minutes!

Since my main goal is to lose the belly fat as well as tone up I asked the question wondering whousl I stick to exercises which concentrate more on fat burning, we'll see whats said. Either way i'm feeling good!

24/09/10

Workout 9

Squat 40kg 5X5
    Bench 55 5X5
    Inverted row 15X8X4
    Push Up 17X8X5
    Reverse Crunches 3X12 (15 kilo)

Well I finally moved on to two 10 kilo weights on the squat bar so I didnt look like a complete weakling! Squat was good, felt my legs were a bit sore, prob from the kettlebells the night before. Bench was ok, last set was a bit tough. Happy to get back up to 15 on inverted rows, also made a nice bit of progress on the push ups. Reverse crunches werent as hard, doing a lot of ab work in kettlebells so will probably drop the weight on them.

Also did HIIT workout, HRM said 547 cals were burnt. As recommended to me I shouldnt concentrate on calories and just give 110% on workouts which is what i did, just interesting to see the readings!

Workout 10
    27/09/10

Squat 42.5 5X5
    Overhead press 30 5X5
    Deadlift 60kg 1X5
    Pull Ups 5X5X4
    Prone Bridges 3X30secs (10 kilo weight on back)

These early morning starts are going to take their toll...

Squat was fine. Legs are strong and form is good these days so handling that well.
    Overhead press was tough, I have always thought I had weak shoulders and looking at my overhead press and pull ups I am right! it wont be long before I am struggling on the press. First time doing pull ups as well, only managed 5 on the first set. In my defence I could only do 1/2 a few weeks back so maybe in another few weeks I'll be doing well! Deadlift was fine. Added another 5 kilo weight to the prone bridges so felt that, good though.

Also did 30 mins HIIT on the cross trainer, my polar watch says 536 calories, as always was tough!

On a side note I put on a pairt of work pants that about 3-4 weeks ago fit perfectly, now they are loose so something must be working!

And now the day of work begins.... :(

• Advertisement

28/09/10

Kettlebells - as always tough but great

Two different warm ups, I just cant sit down and get back up without using my hands! Going to practice it tomorrow, too full now after dinner.

Workout consisted of a lot of squats, snatches, swings, leg work and ab work.

HRM says 868 calories in 55 minutes, 45 minutes of which was fitness, 10 minutes fat burning. Either way I killed myself doing it do thats the important thing.

Weigh day tomorrow, lets hope some of that holiday weight has shifted.

Workout 11
    29/09/2010

Squats 45 5X5
    Bench 57.5 5X5
    Inverted Row 16X10X5
    Push Up 13X6X5 (10 kilo weight)
    Reverse Crunch 3X12 (10 kilo weight as leverage)

Shifted some of the holiday weight thank god, 5.5 lbs altogether. So down to 14 stone 11lbs which brings a total weight loss to 6 stone 6 lbs. Want to break in to the 13 stone barrier by Halloween ideally but sure we'll see, big ask!

Body was a bit sore today, not a huge amoutn of recovery time between last nights kettlebells. Got through it anyways.

Squats were fine, feeling it on my legs, form seems good, had a guy look at me today and said he couldnt see anything wrong with it.
    Bench was tough, I was really hoping on lifting a good bit more before I struggled with it. Wont be long before I cant do the 5 sets I think but I'll keep on giving it 120% until then.
    Inverted rows were similar to last couple of weeks. Push ups - I put 10 kilo's on my back instead of the usual 5, forgetful me! Surprised I got 13 on the first go, especially after the bench. Will stick with 10 kilos from now on. Ab crunches were also ok, doing a lot of work in kettlebells on Abs so there must be something under the belly! Dropped the leverage on that to 10 kilo's.

Also did a HIIT session, always a killer but always feel great after it - our survey says 546 kals burnt in that session. Similar to last.

30/09/2010

Kettlebells was good today, however there were 2 exercises I had to drop the weight on as my shoulders are useless! I always felt I had weak shoulders, today proved it, tomorrow wont be any better when I try and do the overhead press! Ah sure I can only keep on going until they improve!

Calories burnt doing kettlebells today were 850.

Few pints tomorrow night and then off to Liverpool on Sunday to watch a game so hopefully wont put too much of a dent in the good work I did this week. Early start tomorrow to finish off training for the week

Workout 12
    01/10/2010

Squat 47.5 5X5
    Overhead Press 32.5 5X5
    Deadlift 65 1X5
    Pull Up 8X6X5
    Prone Bridges 3X30 secs (10 kilo weight on lower back)

Yawn! too early for this.

Today wasn't too bad, I must have been asleep this morning as I put an extra 10 kilo on the squat by accident and did 5 reps. Put it down to the normal set for the other 4. Feeling it on my legs a bit, might have to start doing a few minutes warm up to get the muscles going.

I was dreading the overhead press, it wasnt too bad but it wont be long before I will be struggling I think, shoulders were a bit tender afterwards but I think that was primarily because kettlebells last night was very shoulder orientated and I didnt have adequate rest in between workouts.

Deadlift was fine. Did better on chin ups then last time so I'm either getting stronger or lighter! Prone bridges were a bit tough but ok.

Also did 30 minutes HIIT, 552 calories.

Nice break for the weekend now. Have to head out tonight so will try and limit the pint intake. Big day on Sunday heading over to Liverpool as well, although I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to watching them play, considering their recent performances!

Workout 13
    04/10/2010

Well after a disappointing trip to anfield yesterday I was feeling fairly tired today, probably had a few too many pints to ease the pain. I wasnt hungover though so that's not too bad!

Squats 50 5X5
    Bench Press 60 5X5
    Inverted Row 18X8X5
    Push up 13X7X6 (10 kilo weight on my back)
    Reverse Crunch 3X12 (10 kilo weight as leverage)

The good thing about today's workout is I benched more then I ever have before. However it was very tough and I feel like I will stall on the next one or the one after that, either way I'll just keep ploughing ahead. Squats were ok as well, good strength in the legs so I think it will be a while before I stall on that. Got more inverted rows then last time which I was happy with, might start putting a weight on me for that. Push ups were similar to the last time around and reverse crumches were ok as well.

Also managed to do a HIIT session, 530 calories burnt, that should put a minor dent in the pints over the weekend.

05/10/2010

Kettlebells class wasnt as bad as it normally is today, lot of strength exerices rather then full on cardio, although there was a 300 repetition full on workout at the end of it, mixture between squats + kick, swings, ab crunches, snatches, push ups, jumps....I'm tired just thinking about it.

I was able to do the windmill and the turkish get up fully today though, always had trouble on the 16 kilo weight with them but went down to the 12 kilo weight for those 2.

Calories burnt were 760 today. ugh weigh in tomorrow morning after my weekend away as well as overhead presses! ugh!

Workout 14
    06/10/2010

Squats 20kg 2X5
    Squats 40kg 1X3
    Squats 52.5kg 5X5

Overhead Press 35 5X5
    Deadlift 70 1X5
    Pull up 7X4X3
    Prone Bridges 3X30 secs (10 kilo weight on back)

No weight loss this week, but considering I had a big night in town on Friday and I was at Liverpool on a day trip on Sunday I'm not too annoyed. However no more 2 nights out a week. If I can keep it to 0 nights perfect, worst case 1. Working my a** off Monday to Friday is not worth it if I'm not shifting the pounds. Alternatively it may be all muscle :P

Started doing some warm ups on the squats before set, felt good doing them today. Wasnt looking forward to overhead press but got through it, only struggled on the last set but pushed out the 5. I shortened my grip so not sure if that made a difference good or bad! I think my back might have been a wee bit arched on the last set, will concentrate on that next time around.
    Pull ups were an improvement on last time so my shoulders might be getting a bit stronger, still did 14 overall but managed 7 on the first which I'm happy with. I also noticed my upper back looking stronger in the mirror this morning. No I wasn't checking myself out, just when I was walking away I noticed! :P
    Prone bridges are still a bit tough but getting through them.

Also did a HIIT session, surprisingly only burned 494 calories which is lower then usual, maybe I'm getting fitter and the heart rate doesnt jump around as much, it was the same with Kettlebells last night.

07/10/10

Kettlebells tonight and I am definitely getting fitter. I wasnt as knackered as I normally am but still was tough going. Especially the windmill with my weaker right arm.

Either way 784 calories burnt.

Should be alright with the workout tomorrow, bench is a bit worrying but just going to take a longer rest in between sets, I normally took 30 seconds, will go for the 1 minute to make sure I get 5X5

edit: I was just reading about adding weights on inverted rows and pushups and it says to switch to 3X5 adding 1.25kilos to each workout. I just added 10 kilos and did 3 sets to failure. Going to stick to 3X5 and start out at 15 kilos. Whats peoples thoughts on this, stick to the failure or add 1.5kilos each time and do 3X5?

Workout 15
    8/10/10

Squat 20 2X5
    Squat 40 1X3
    Squat (set) 55 5X5

Bench 20 2X5
    Bench 35 1X3
    Bench 50 1X3
    Bench (set) 62.5 5X5 :)

Inverted row (backpack with 15kilos) - 3X5
    Push up (backpack with 15 kilos) - 3X5
    Reverse Crunch 3X12 - 5 kilo weight to offset

Good workout today, changed a lot of thing's and was able to get through it. Squats were fine, feeling it on my legs but hopefully it will be a long way off before I struggle, feel the difference (in a better way) of warming up first.

Bench was good warming up, pushed through the 5X5, very tough though, wont be long before I stall but happy with what I am lifting for now, most I have ever benched in my life!

Only read last night about switching to 3X5 with a weight once I could do 15 reps on the inverted row and push up, did that today and felt a massive difference. 15 might have been a bit much starting on the inverted row but I got through it, wont increase that next time around, will just stick with the 15 for now. Push ups were tough as well but I will increase the weight by 1.5. Might need to get a better back pack though, the one today I think I bought for €2 in Spain so I doubt it will hold much!

Changed the reverse crunches to have a 5 kilo weight offset, dont think 5 kilos made a difference, might well have been nothing there at all!

Also did a HIIT session - 30 minutes - 511 calories burnt.

Looking forward to a rest over the weekend now.

• Advertisement

Workout 16
    11/10/2010

Squat 20kg 2X5
    Squat 40kg 1X3
    Squat 57.5kg(set) 5X5

Overhead Press 20kg 2X5
    Overhead Press 37.5(set) 5X5

Deadlift 60kg 1X5
    Deadlift 75kg(set) 1X5

Chin ups - 11, 7, 6
    Prone Bridges 3X30secs (10 kilo weight on back)

Good day today, typical Sunday night only got 3/4 hours sleep but felt alright this morning. I added a banana to my pre workout meal of some hazlenuts and some whey and found that gave me more energy so I'll stick with that.

Squats were good, thought I pulled a muscle in my leg last week doing a tug of war but it was fine this morning. Overhead presses were not as tough as I thought, delighted to still able to increase on them. Back didnt seem arched either as I tensed my glutes to make sure it wouldnt arch. Will be a nice bonus to move up to 40kilos on that since I always thought I had useless shoulders, although 40 kilos prob isn't heavy for most folk :P

Deadlifts were fine as well, nothing difficult there, just made sure my back was straight.Improvement in the chin ups as well which was good, definitely must be getting stronger. Wont be long now before I add a weight with that, will have to purchase a belt I suppose. Prone bridges are always tough for the last 1 or 2 but I got through it, will be a while before I put another weight on my back though I think.

Also did a HIIT session and burnt 486 calories.

Advertisement