Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After 1 year of dieting I am now doing Stronglifts 5X5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

19/12/2010

Squat 20kg 1X5
    Squst 40kg 1X5
    Squat 60kg 1X5
    Squat 80kg 1X3
    Squat 92.5kg(set) 5X5

Bench Press 20kg 1X10
    Bench Press 40kg 1X5
    Bench Press 55kg(set) 5X5

Inverted Rows 16.25kg 3X5
    Push Ups 16.25kg 3X5
    Reverse Crunches 3X12

Cardio session 530 calories

I was tired today on account being out last night. Dont think that helped much as this felt like a tough workout. Squats are tough as my legs are still sore from pulling a muscle, got through them though but ive been trying to eat loads more and increase my protein intake so hopefully I'll start to get more comfortable to keep on increasing the weight.

Bench was also tough, really dont want to stall when I put another 10 kilos on it. Inverted rows and push ups and reverse crunches were all fine.

28/12/2010

Total fitness has been closed on account of the water shortages the last 2 days. Very annoying, was looking forward to getting back in to things considering the amount I have eaten and drank over Xmas.

Went for a 5 mile brisk walk to get out of the house today, 614 calories burned.

29/12/10

TF was closed early again, damn these water shortages.

Went on another 5 mile walk, 620 calories.

Not going to be able to do anything now until at least Monday, looking forward to getting back in to it. Ate and drank so much crap over xmas.

03/01/11

Squat 20kg 1X5
    Squat 40kg 1X5
    Squat 60kg 1X5
    Squat 80kg 1X3
    Squat 90kg(set) 5X5

OH Press 20kg 1X5
    OH Press 37.5kg(set) 5X5

Deadlift 60kg 1X5
    Deadlift 80kg 1X5
    Deadlift 105kg(set) 1X5

Chin ups 3X5 - 8.25kg
    Prone Bridges 3X30 seconds - one leg

Cardio session 513 calories

Felt good to be back (again!). Squats were not as bad as I thought they would be but the legs are a bit sore now. Press was a bit tough towards the end and the deadlift felt fine. Chin ups were extremely tough, not going 2 weeks with no exercise ever again. Thought i was going to die doing the cardio. Hopefully no more snow or water shortages so I can get a good run at it.

04/01/11

Just did 30 minutes cardio today to work off the excess mince pies. Also had a Zaytoons a couple of nights ago, first take away after a bunch of pints in a long time but man it was worth it!

Cardio was 477 calories which I reckon was about 2 chips with garlic sauce of the Zaytoons so still a bit to go.

Got the new 5X5 program today so will be looking to replace inverted rows with barbell rows for tomorrows workout, not going to start with the suggested 40kg, will prob start off small still though at 60kg and see how I feel.

• Advertisement

05/01/2011

Squats 20kg 2X5
    Squats 40kg 1X5
    Sqauts 60kg 1X5
    Squats 80kg 1X3
    Squats 92.5kg(set) 5X5

Bench Press 20kg 2X5
    Bench Press 40kg 1X5
    Bench Press 57.5kg(set) 5X5X5X5X3 Fail

Barbell Row 40kg 5X5
    Push Ups 17.25kg 5X5X3

Reverse Crunches 3X12

Cardio session 533 calories

Ah I was knackered today and my legs were in bits, probably the worst workout I have done considering my tiredness. Got through the squats though which Im happy with since the legs were sore. Bench was horrendous, I started eating a lot more meat and taking one or two extra protein shakes a day, plus I have increased my calories but I still feel weak as fcuk. It has been 2 weeks since I did a bench press so maybe thats it, hopefully I start to make some gains though.

Barbell rows were fine, started on a low weight to make sure technique was ok. Felt weird, I partly wanted to deadlift it. Push ups were tough considering I was tired after the bench, even the reverse crunches were a killer. Ugh and the cardio! Nightmare.

Definitely taking a rest tomorrow.

07/01/2011

Squats 20kg 2X5
    Squats 40kg 1X5
    Squats 60kg 1X5
    Squats 80kg 1X3
    Squats 95kg(set) 5X5

OH Press 20kg 2X5
    OH Press 25kg 1X5
    OH Press 40kg(set) 5X5

Deadlift 60kg 1X5
    Deadlift 80kg 1X3
    Deadlift 110kg(set) 1X5

Pull Ups - 5X4X4 - useless!
    Prone Bridges - 3X30 seconds - 1 leg

Cardio session 473 calories

Felt good doing the squats today, legs are pretty much back to normal, been eating 300g+ of protein a day all week so hopefully that will start to have an effect for me! Trying to eat like a horse as well, currently waiting on 2 chicken breasts and 4 eggs to cook for dinner! Have some of Transforms Paleo bars and peanut butter for after as well.

OH Press was a bit tough on the last set but hopefully now I can start to make progress in it, I dont think its my shoulders as much anymore, think its my weak ass arms! Deadlift just didnt feel great, grip was off, forgot my gloves. Pull ups were useless but hadnt dont them in a month so not too bothered, will build that up consistently now. Prones were tough as usual, cardio is getting harder!

Ah I didnt know the Annoying Gym Behaviour thread was closed. Up in TF sandyford tonight I saw one of the personal trainers use a load of dumbells, 2 benches, one machine and a couple of weights. She finished her set and left everything all over the floor, a good 4 sets of dumbells. Twice while up there i heard one of the personal trainers on the intercom asking memebers to return weights to the rack! Then I went to the manager to enquire about renewing my membership as its up start Feb, 680 - see you later!

10/01/2011

Squats 20kg 2X5
    Squats 40kg 1X5
    Squats 60kg 1X5
    Squats 80kg 1X3
    Squats 90kg 1X2
    Squats 97.5kg 5X5

Bench 20kg 2X5
    Bench 40kg 1X5
    Bench 57.5kg 5X5X5X5X4 Fail again!

Barbell Row 42.5kg 5X5

Push ups 17.5kg 3X5
    Reverse Crunch 3X12

Cardio session 488 calories

Squats felt awesome today, all the protein and extra calories I am eating must be going straight to my legs because it is doing f**k all for my benching. Id say at this rate I will be moving on to 3X5 for that soon enough. The first 3 sets werent as bad, really want to make good gains in the bench. Barbell row was fine, no issues there and push ups and reverse crunches were grand. Cardio session wasnt as hard as last week so maybe the fitness is coming back slowly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

pink - why do you start with 20kg squats etc.

why dont you just do the 5 sets at the level your aiming for that night?

mickman wrote: »
    pink - why do you start with 20kg squats etc.

why dont you just do the 5 sets at the level your aiming for that night?

Hey mickman, just warm up sets, dont do any warm ups before I jump in and dont want to dive right in to my full sets in case I do damage.

I just followed what was suggested on the site below...

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-do-a-proper-warm-up/

• Advertisement

Pink - do strong lifts say you have to do the warm ups or is it up to yourself

Pink - do strong lifts say you have to do the warm ups or is it up to yourself

the article i attached said you should warm up to avoid injuries and increase flexibility but it doesnt say you have to. each to their own i suppose, i have gone straight in to my work sets before when i was in a rush and my legs were more sore the next day!

mrpink6789 wrote: »
    the article i attached said you should warm up to avoid injuries and increase flexibility but it doesnt say you have to. each to their own i suppose, i have gone straight in to my work sets before when i was in a rush and my legs were more sore the next day!

pink - why dont you deadlift?

pink - why dont you deadlift?

I do deadlift mickman, check out my log. I alternate workouts as per Stronglifts 5X5.

I do deadlift mickman, check out my log. I alternate workouts as per Stronglifts 5X5.

sorry - only skimmed through the log . do you find your just getting stronger or you look a lot better also?

i saw a guy in the gym the other day who was doing deadlifts to power clean with excellent technique and heave weights and the guy looked like he had little or no muscle, he was small though

i know stronglifts builds strength but surely strength comes with bigger muscles?

also pink one last question for you

when you are doing smaller weights on barbell rows for example - do you put weights under the small weights to bring the bar up to correct height? if so how many do you put under?

Hey mickman,

Yep I find myself getting stronger now because I am eating more, hmm not sure about looking better but I do feel better! ;)

I didn't start with smaller weights on the barbell rows as I was doing inverted rows before that so I used ther 10kg which in my gym the height was fine.

Hey mickman,

Yep I find myself getting stronger now because I am eating more, hmm not sure about looking better but I do feel better! ;)

I didn't start with smaller weights on the barbell rows as I was doing inverted rows before that so I used ther 10kg which in my gym the height was fine.

oh right, im starting same program - would you recommend starting with inverted rows first to build up strength before the barbell rows?

oh right, im starting same program - would you recommend starting with inverted rows first to build up strength before the barbell rows?

No just start with barbell rows, think he said to start with 30kilos.

12/01/2011

Squats 20kg 2X5
    Squats 40kg 1X5
    Squats 60kg 1X3
    Squats 80kg 1X3
    Squats 90kg 1X2
    Squats 100kg 5X5

OH Press 20kg 2X5
    OH Press 30kg 1X3
    OH Press 42.5kg 5X5

Deadlift 60kg 1X3
    Deadlift 90kg 1X3
    Deadlift 115kg 1X5

Chin ups 8.25kg 3X5
    Prone Bridges 3X30 seconds (one legged)

Good workout this morning. Definitely feeling stronger these days after increasing the calories and protein. Squats were good, getting low on them as well and dont feel like I'll be failing anytime soon, but sure we'll see given another couple of workouts! The Press was a bit tough on the last set but feeling confident to finally get 5X5 on 45kg on Friday. Deadlift was also sound and was able to do the chin ups and prone bridges.

Cardio session also 488 calories.

renewed the membership for another year as well so hopefully I'll still be making progress this time next year :P

• Advertisement

pink

how do you get 300g of protein a day? can you post the stuff you eat

went to gym last night , feel physically exhausted and have no energy today. feel i did too much to be honest

did over head press , squats, inverted rows , barbell rows

have a cold too so body isnt feeling the best :-)

pink

how do you get 300g of protein a day? can you post the stuff you eat

went to gym last night , feel physically exhausted and have no energy today. feel i did too much to be honest

did over head press , squats, inverted rows , barbell rows

have a cold too so body isnt feeling the best :-)

Good man mickman, start a log so we can monitor your progress! Are you sticking to 5X5, starting with the empty bar etc?

My diet is all over the shop to be honest, just trying to eat as much as I can of good food 80% of the time.

Generally....

Pre workout - Creatine + banana
    Post workout - Protein Shake
    Breakfast - Porridge, full fat milk and honey , creatine
    Mid morning - mixed nuts + protein shake + apple
    Lunch - Brown bread, 4 slices of Turkey/Chicken, can of tuna, fruit yoghurt
    Afternoon - Shake, Nuts, Can of Tuna
    Dinner - Eithe ra few chicken breasts or a steak or quorn with loads of veg + fruit yoghurt
    Snacks - couple of spoons of peanut butter or transforms awesome paleo bars.

I've only started this diet in Jan so I am going to take measurements at the end of the month to see if its benefitting me or not, so far I feel stronger so fingers crossed but I'd be conscious of putting on too much fat with it, I'll know more at the end of Jan.

All depends on your weight, height etc how much you should be getting. I am supposed to aim for 3,700 calories on workout days and 3,200 calories on non workout days - 89kg , 19% body fat and 6 foot 2.

pink

to be honest i started off doing all sorts of stuff - machines , dips etc but wasnt sticking rigidly to anything so adopting the stronglifts 5x5 properly now as i think with only 3 exercises you can concentrate on doing them properly and not be too wrecked after

i eat very well, must the same stuff you have there except not the volume e.g. one chicken breast rather than a couple :-)

i wouldnt take the creatine though to be honest, have heard lots of bad things about that and there really isnt a need for it in my opinion

i eat and drink what i like at the weekend cos a diet for 7 days a week is not feasible.

Dont worry about volume yet, I was on a calorie deficit until December as I wanted to lose a load of weight, then I stalled on all my lifts so to increase in them I had to start eating more! Depends on what your goals are but just keep at it until you cant lift no more and you can decide then!

what kind of protein shakes you use?

used to use Impact whey isolate but not on to True Whey, both from myprotein.co.uk. Not sure the difference if any to be honest though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Jesus mate your doing well. - congrats, serious weight loss and I think I started long before you and am nowhere close on weights - this has been a real wake up call.

2010 RobAMerc = sloppy with the plan -
    2011 = new meticulous RobAMerc :D

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Jesus mate your doing well. - congrats, serious weight loss and I think I started long before you and am nowhere close on weights - this has been a real wake up call.

2010 RobAMerc = sloppy with the plan -
    2011 = new meticulous RobAMerc :D

Yeah dude you went off and did a 30 day arms program? how did that go?

ah I havent really done a huge amount since November, went back 20% as I was useless over december. Might have put on a few pounds as well but dont really mind if I can keep on lifting heavy! Well squats anyways, the rest are fairly useless so far!

Game of squash this evening - 482 calories burned.

• Advertisement

14/01/2011

Squats 20kg 2X5
    Squats 40kg 1X3
    Squats 60kg 1X3
    Squats 80kg 1X3
    Squats 90kg 1X2
    Squats 102.5 5X5

Bench 20kg 2X5
    Bench 40kg 1X5
    Bench 57.5kg 5X5

Barbell Row 45kg 5X5

Push ups 18.75kg 3X5
    Reverse Crunch 3X12

Cardio session 484 calories

Legs were a little sore after the squats, could have been on account of the squash the night before so I might just give it up for a week to see. They were not as tough though so hopefully I will beat my PB of 107.5 by next week. Definitely feeling stronger. I also watched some clips of Dave Tate on youtube last night which helped my bench, even though I knew my technique was alright it was a good refresher so Bench wasnt as hard as it has been previously, hopefully I can start making gains in that.
    A personal trainer came over to me to give me a pointer on my barbell rows, I was curving my back a bit and not sticking my ass out enough so that was good to get some free advice ;) Push ups and reverse crunches were sound as well.

Good rest now planned for the weekend.

Advertisement