Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress Spam

Options
  • 30-08-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi

We added a blog to our site using Wordpress and are using it quite effectively, the frequent new content helps with seo.

The only problem us most of the comments posted are spam. I mark these messages as such through Wordpress but the volume of messages is going through the roof. Is there any product or service that could filter spam posts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Akismet, which comes with Wordpress
    There are also a lot of 3rd party plugins that can help block junk ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Akismet is absolutely dire.

Get WP Spam-Free Plugin.
    Will eliminate 99% of incoming spam, works a charm for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Edit the part of your site that these spam bots use to find your site

There called footprints

Not sure what it would be for WP but someone here might know

possibly

"Leave a Reply"

it will stop them finding you completely rather than blocking them when they do find you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 RedMaxP

I used Askimet & WP Spam-Free together and have completely stopped spam. I would like to understand footprints though, if anyone can shed some light!

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

RedMaxP wrote: »
    I used Askimet & WP Spam-Free together and have completely stopped spam. I would like to understand footprints though, if anyone can shed some light!

Thanks everyone!

Spammers search for certain phrases. Googling, say 'inurl:register “vbulletin”' lists 68,300 vbulletin registration pages you can now send your spambot off to to cause trouble. Removing those phrases (as difficult as it may be) would render your site invisible to the above search string.

• Advertisement
Advertisement