Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coins to notes

• 30-08-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

I have a load of 50c coins bagged in proper coin bags. I want to know is it possible to change these to notes for free without a fee?
    Do the banks do this for free or do they charge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I have a load of 50c coins bagged in proper coin bags. I want to know is it possible to change these to notes for free without a fee?
    Do the banks do this for free or do they charge?

Afaik the banks just weigh your bag of coins and convert them to notes with no charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Ring your bank or credit union in the morning & ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I changed about €400 worth a while back, I just went up to the cashier and they asked me if i had an a/c then sent me around the side to the commercial entrance where they were quite happy to receive them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Yeah, basically any shop will do this for you if they're not super busy. Bring them in in money bags in the amounts that are printed on the front of them and it's no big deal. Shops need change anyway. Just go in an ask them if they'll do it when ever they have time and if they don't have the time, ask them if they will do it at a time when they are not usually busy and tell them that you have them in the correct amounts in bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

ok thanks everybody ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I changed about €400 worth a while back, I just went up to the cashier and they asked me if i had an a/c then sent me around the side to the commercial entrance where they were quite happy to receive them

Similar thing happened to me.

OP, if they don't do it for you, name and shame in Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Have a chat with your local independent shopkeeper, AFAIK they are charged a commission for buying change and may be happy to help you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The bank should be able to do that for you or else go to a shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Odelay wrote: »
    Have a chat with your local independent shopkeeper, AFAIK they are charged a commission for buying change and may be happy to help you out.
    This. We most certainly are, which is why I always try to reassure customers paying in change that it really is all right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Sheeps wrote: »
    Yeah, basically any shop will do this for you if they're not super busy. Bring them in in money bags in the amounts that are printed on the front of them and it's no big deal. Shops need change anyway. Just go in an ask them if they'll do it when ever they have time and if they don't have the time, ask them if they will do it at a time when they are not usually busy and tell them that you have them in the correct amounts in bags.

Do not do this.

From experience, the shop will hate you for it, especially if they're busy. Also, our cash office used to direct people to the Coinstar machine and that charges 9.4% IIRC.

ETA: From Kylith's response, I apologise. We were just actively discouraged from doing this in work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You know the new self service check out machines let you just pile in change? I used up my change jar the other week and got 40 quid off me shopping. There wasn't a queue behind me cos I shop late but it does take ages to count the change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Nevore wrote: »
    This. We most certainly are, which is why I always try to reassure customers paying in change that it really is all right. :)

It's nice to help the "little guys" out, after all 99% of us are little guys:)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

You would think shops would be happy to convert legal currency from coins to notes but BEWARE - a few Super Value stores I know have this RIP-OFF machine where you put in coins and get back a voucher to spend in the shop BUT they charge a HUGE COMMISSION of 10% TO 12.5% for this "service".
    You would think this would be solidly rejected by a hard pressed community in a recession but they must be doing business or they would not be there. Presumably the shop charges hefty rent for the tiny footprint of the machine and the operator takes the remaining profit.
    Do not encourage them! Go to a bank if you have coins changed into notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Millicent wrote: »
    Do not do this.

From experience, the shop will hate you for it, especially if they're busy. Also, our cash office used to direct people to the Coinstar machine and that charges 9.4% IIRC.

ETA: From Kylith's response, I apologise. We were just actively discouraged from doing this in work.

Eh, you're wrong actually. As someone who works in a shop this is common enough and the only time it is generally a pain to do is if there are literally 10 or bags of coins or we're really busy. Hence why I warned the OP away from doing this if the shop was really busy or was during peak hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

You know the new self service check out machines let you just pile in change? I used up my change jar the other week and got 40 quid off me shopping. There wasn't a queue behind me cos I shop late but it does take ages to count the change!

True, and you don't have to have the exact amount - shove it all in and pay the balance with your card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Your local pub may also help you out. I know a pub that takes the local church collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

2 stroke wrote: »
    Your local pub may also help you out. I know a pub that takes the local church collection.

In exchange for DRINK !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Banks still do it. My post office does it too since the bank is about 30 minutes away. Just go in to the post office if they aren't busy. Some shops do it too just don't go if they're busy.

Don't use the machines that "add it up" for you... Put in 40 euro and get back 25 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

My local Credit Union is where i always go. I thinks its your best option too, providing that theres a branch near you! You'll need to have the coins sorted into coin bags and you will probably need to have an account too. This service is free. Banks will probably charge you as they have a charge for most things.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Banks wont charge you, mine doesn't anyway, as long as you have the coins seperated and sorted in the bags should not be a problem, they will weigh the coins to doubke check them. i just pay mine into my account.

Shops that have the counters will be a bit funny about taking them, last time i tried to get rid of them in the shop i was pointed towards the machine, i was in at a quiet time and explained politely that i do need not the coins counted, i know exactly how much i have, and are large coins, 1 and 2 euros and 50c coins only. manager on duty reluctantly took them off me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Millicent wrote: »

... but, I never posted in this thread... :eek:

kylith wrote: »
    ... but, I never posted in this thread... :eek:
    Obviously psychic. Burn the witch!
    eimearcmh wrote: »
    My local Credit Union is where i always go. I thinks its your best option too, providing that theres a branch near you! You'll need to have the coins sorted into coin bags and you will probably need to have an account too. This service is free. Banks will probably charge you as they have a charge for most things.:rolleyes:
    The credit union will just bring them to the bank and lodge them anyway. And since they're a business, they're most likely charged the same rate any other business is to lodge/change their coin. Most of them don't hold cash in-store, they don't have the kind of security a bank does. So save them the hassle and just give it to the bank. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yet another positive of living in the middle of no where, my local shopkeeper won't tell me to FO if I arrive down with bags of change :)

Long may it continue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

Nevore wrote: »
    Obviously psychic. Burn the witch!
    The credit union will just bring them to the bank and lodge them anyway. Most of them don't hold cash in-store, they don't have the kind of security a bank does. So save them the hassle and just give it to the bank. ;)

In my local Credit Union the coins go 2 securicor and the cheques go to the bank. Some coin is held in the branch but not that much. They will happily recieve it though. (happily-depends on the person. we all have our bad days:D)

eimearcmh wrote: »
    In my local Credit Union the coins go 2 securicor and the cheques go to the bank. Some coin is held in the branch but not that much. They will happily recieve it though. (happily-depends on the person. we all have our bad days:D)
    Ahh, ok. Maybe the bigger ones have the wherewithal. I know my little village one gives theirs to the Ulster bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

johngalway wrote: »
    Yet another positive of living in the middle of no where, my local shopkeeper won't tell me to FO if I arrive down with bags of change :)

Long may it continue!

Yeah well in Dublin the post offices do it AND the shops AND the banks, your move :p

Advertisement