Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops around UL

Options
  • 30-08-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any supermarkets that are not too far away?
    Im told that the spar on campus is not the place to shop but anywhere else seems like a good walk away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Superquinn and Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How do you get to superquinn? Sorry im a first year:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ryanf1 wrote: »
    How do you get to superquinn? Sorry im a first year:rolleyes:

Out the gate near the Arena and go left. Cross over the road, and go right up the road next to the abandoned factory..up past the lodge and superquinn is across the main road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Is the spar fairly bad or what?

I went too the one close to Plasys and it was a bit expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

There is nothing wrong with SPAR if you just need stuff like milk and bread or a quick roll, however, I wouldnt do a full-shopping there.

Use the likes of Superquinn, Lidl, Aldi, or Dunnes Stores, all of which are within 20 mins walk of UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Obviously Mossin is a professional walker as you would need to be to get from UL to Dunnes Stores in 20mins! lol:D... Anyone living in Groody, Troy, Courtyard or Brookfield have Aldi and Dunnes Stores not too far away (Aldi being the closest one) On campus people are kinda stuck in the middle, ye have two Spars (One inside UL, One just outside the main gate), after that you can either trek to Superquinn which is past the lodge or head in the opposite direction to Aldi (which is the same direction as if you were heading to Groody Student Park).

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

20 mins to Dunnes? :eek: Jaysus, are you made of rocket fuel or something!
    That´s crazy talk.

Don´t fall into the convenience trap with the two Spars. Like above, it´s fine for one or two things but it really adds up if you do anymore than a few bits and pieces there.
    It sounds like all these supermarkets are near and if you´ve a car, it´s brill, but in reality, you get quite lazy when it´s 5pm, raining and you´ve nothing to cook for dinner.
    My advice is to pick a certain time a week; Sunday evening, a morning during the week when you´ve no classes and do your big shop then. Make ap oint of going to Aldi or Dunnes or wherever. It´s far cheaper and easy in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bobo the clown

snazzy wrote: »
    That´s crazy talk.

Don´t fall into the convenience trap with the two Spars. Like above, it´s fine for one or two things but it really adds up if you do anymore than a few bits and pieces there.
    It sounds like all these supermarkets are near and if you´ve a car, it´s brill, but in reality, you get quite lazy when it´s 5pm, raining and you´ve nothing to cook for dinner.
    My advice is to pick a certain time a week; Sunday evening, a morning during the week when you´ve no classes and do your big shop then. Make ap oint of going to Aldi or Dunnes or wherever. It´s far cheaper and easy in the long run.
    I remember living in Kilmurray and walking through sports field to superquinn . That took 20 minutes. Dunnes is about a 4 hour walk id say.....If you dont have a car , make friends with someone who does. They can come in handy

TheTownie wrote: »
    Obviously Mossin is a professional walker as you would need to be to get from UL to Dunnes Stores in 20mins! lol:D..
    That´s crazy talk.

Jeez people are ye lazy or what :p

I walk to Thomond Park to work, and it only takes 50 minutes.
    I live in the back of College Court and it takes me between 15-20 mins to walk to Dunnes in the Parkway from there.

I'm not talking about strolling there, but its by no means far away. Walking to Superquinn is further, but not if you take short cuts through Elm Park or Milford Grange etc...

I'd agree with Snazzy, pick a day when you have no classes, and do your weeks shopping. There is a butchers in the Parkway which does a brilliant student offer for €10, its well worth checking out!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Dunnes is about a 4 hour walk id say.....

Aldi it is so:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Mossin, you´re Ironman...or Sonia O´Sullivan. Whichever.
    Fair fudge sticks. My housemate last year walked from Trooms back to Kilmurry while broke and blasted and it took him an hour and a half!

I forgot there was a Dunnes in Parkway. That´s slightly more achievable. But I´m just a slow walker. Takes me at least 15minutes to walk from Kilmurry to Plassey through college!

Mossin, you´re Ironman...or Sonia O´Sullivan. Whichever.
    Fair fudge sticks. My housemate last year walked from Trooms back to Kilmurry while broke and blasted and it took him an hour and a half!

I forgot there was a Dunnes in Parkway. That´s slightly more achievable. But I´m just a slow walker. Takes me at least 15minutes to walk from Kilmurry to Plassey through college!
    Was thinking the dunnes in childers road myself.........that €10 deal sounds promising...What you get for that

Was thinking the dunnes in childers road myself.........that €10 deal sounds promising...What you get for that

Iirc you get 3 chicken breasts, a pound of mince beef, 4 beef burgers and 4 chicken burgers...

They also have other deals there for €12 [but cant for the life of me think what that gets ya]

Mossin wrote: »
    Iirc you get 3 chicken breasts, a pound of mince beef, 4 beef burgers and 4 chicken burgers...

They also have other deals there for €12 [but cant for the life of me think what that gets ya]
    That sounds good. Will be getting that on Monday.....

I dont have a car!
    I was thinking childers road is a good bit away alright. Is Milford grange the estate opposite the church? So if i go through there i get to superquinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Mossin wrote: »

Thats serious:eek: Beef burgers arent my thing but at that price i'll make em!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I dont have a car!
    I was thinking childers road is a good bit away alright. Is Milford grange the estate opposite the church? So if i go through there i get to superquinn?

Google Maps is your friend.
    clicky!

Google Maps is your friend.
    clicky!
    This is brilliant!

Advertisement