Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My PC looses wireless when I plug in my HTC Desire

• 30-08-2010 10:26pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got a HTC desire. When I plug it into my Xp home PC, I cannot get any internet, the wireless drops. When I unplug it, it finds internet and continues working again. Bizarre!

Any idea as to how I might fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭SkySter

Zascar wrote: »
    I just got a HTC desire. When I plug it into my Xp home PC, I cannot get any internet, the wireless drops. When I unplug it, it finds internet and continues working again. Bizarre!

Any idea as to how I might fix this?

I suspect you have your default connection type set to USB Tethering. You can check it under settings, connect to pc, default connection type.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks yeah that sounded logical but I checked and its set to "Charge Only"

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Still can't fix this, any other suggestions anyone? Literally as soon as I ply in my desire the wireless drops. When I plug out I repair the connection and it fixes itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

this doesn't happen me. not sure how useful that is to you, but i guess that rules it out as a "feature" of the desire. i tested in "charge only" mode.

do you connect to wife through a router or adhoc connection to your pc?

how do you know the wireless drops, does it give an error on the phone? does the icon just disappear?

I use a USB wireless dongle (I'm on xp) - the wireless just drops and my skype icon goes from green to grey (connecting). I'm going to try updating some drivers and doing a windows update. Anything else I should try?

• Advertisement

ah wait, the wifi drops on the pc and not on the desire?

if this is the case then the wireless dondgle is proberly not getting enough power from the usb because the desire is taking it all.

are they both sharing the same hub?

Yep the PC! Dell Dimension 5000 with XP home SP3. Not a hub, wireless plugged into the back, desire to the front. I'll try other configurations maybe?

try putting the desire into another usb port then. i'm not sure how the usb works on that but it sounds like your problem is not enough power for both desire charging and usb dongle.

i'm gonna move your post over to the computers & technology forum too as it's a pc issue and not a desire one from the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Random wrote: »
    try putting the desire into another usb port then. i'm not sure how the usb works on that but it sounds like your problem is not enough power for both desire charging and usb dongle.

i'm gonna move your post over to the computers & technology forum too as it's a pc issue and not a desire one from the sounds of it.

If thats the case then plugging it into another port won't make a difference, all usb's are connected, its a rail

i thought sometimes they could be on different hubs within the pc or something .. that ports 1 and 2 shared power, for example, and then ports 3 and 4. far from an expert though so hoped you guys might be able to provide better ideas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement