Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Permit Puzzle

Options
  • 30-08-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I live in a Rathmines and I want to get an onstreet parking permit. Simple. The place I rent is a converted house with 9 units, so the building is entitled to only 4 parking spaces. I don't have a car yet, but need one for work. I called DCC to see if there are any spaces in my building. They said they can't say and I have to apply for a space and send them 40euro. No problem I think, it's only 40euro. However, to apply for a space I actually have to buy, insure and tax a car.

Surely this doesn't make any sense!!!! If they say 'no spaces' i'm pretty screwed. Is there any way around this?

Thanks,
    Conor

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are all four spaces being used by people in your building? If they are, you won't get one. Can you ask your neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

No car no space. Seems logical to me otherwise people could buy up spaces and sell them on privately at a premium. Spaces are for residents with cars so to qualify for one you must live there AND have a car. DLRCC applied the very same rules in their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It doesn't sound like the council are trying to help. Surely they can tell you if an address has its number of allocated spaces taken or not? I'd keep hassling them for it.
    No car no space. Seems logical to me otherwise people could buy up spaces and sell them on privately at a premium. Spaces are for residents with cars so to qualify for one you must live there AND have a car. DLRCC applied the very same rules in their area.

That is not the OPs issue. He just needs to know if there is one available, and in order to find out that simple fact the council want him to go through the full process of buying, taxing and insuring a car and then applying for the permit.

OP, it sounds like you got a dud in the council. Or else there was a communication breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Hey spurious.

They won't tell me if all four spaces are being used. They also said that it's a high demand area and the Traffic Department may not want to issue a permit even if all 4 haven't been taken.
    spurious wrote: »
    Are all four spaces being used by people in your building? If they are, you won't get one. Can you ask your neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

con1982 wrote: »
    Hey spurious.

They won't tell me if all four spaces are being used. They also said that it's a high demand area and the Traffic Department may not want to issue a permit even if all 4 haven't been taken.

They won't tell you because they need to send someone out to survey the road. Seriously. It happened when I got my one. Had to wait 2 weeks for a guy to come out and check out the traffic demand of the area (it was high) and then I eventually got one. It's just their process, they musn't like giving the go ahead on anything in the high demand areas without seeing the area first. So you probably will get one after all of that cuz I did.... but having an insured car does help :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement