Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sum of money found

Options
  • 30-08-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Anyone on here lose a sum of money in a supermarket this evening at approx 9pm?

Found the money, didn't want to leave it in the store as I would like it to be returned to it's rightful owner but did leave name & no.... don't know what else to do at this point. Will give it a week and if no claimant I will donate to a cause.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

dollybird2 wrote: »
    Anyone on here lose a sum of money in a supermarket this evening at approx 9pm?

Found the money, didn't want to leave it in the store as I would like it to be returned to it's rightful owner but did leave name & no.... don't know what else to do at this point. Will give it a week and if no claimant I will donate to a cause.

Fair play dolly - not too many honest people around these days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Thanks Mirmir. I know only too well how frustrating it is to lose money and never see it again!! And it's a tidy sum also, all balled together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

its mine its mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Bring it into the Gardai - if it's not claimed within a year it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'll 'mind' it for you, no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

how nice of you :) wouldn't expect many people to do this, and be willing to donate it to a charity/cause. :):)

I contacted my friend in Mill Street so if anyone enquires they will be directed to me.

It isn't my money so def not keeping it. Somebody has to have gone to the tills to pay for their shopping and missed it? It's not a fiver or even fifty I have found so it has to be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

I contacted my friend in Mill Street so if anyone enquires they will be directed to me.

It isn't my money so def not keeping it. Somebody has to have gone to the tills to pay for their shopping and missed it? It's not a fiver or even fifty I have found so it has to be missed.

fairplay dolly not many like you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Sounds like a fair bit if in a roll. Fair play to you. You deserve something small as a token for being so honest. :)

Wouldn't it be a nice story if it was a Boards member. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Xiney wrote: »
    Bring it into the Gardai - if it's not claimed within a year it's yours.

Just make sure that yo get it in writing that you left it in. Not too long ago a Garda was sacked for keeping money like this

• Advertisement

I refuse to leave it into anyone elses hands at this point as I do not trust that all that can possibly be done to locate the owner will be done. This is really frustrating me!!!! Surely someone has missed it by now?!

What are the bets if I put up a sign stating money found call xxxx i'd get a lot of hoax callers?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Fair play to ya dolly!!

Your one of the good ones :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

nice to see someone not blinded by greed in this day and age.

fair play.

I suggest you call Galway Bay and have them read it out a couple of times. Even if the person does not hear it, chances are that someone will hear it that knows they lost the money.

not everyone will come on these boards.

Galway Bay will be only too delighted to help out.

Good one Dolphin City - hadn't thought of that. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

-Hello my name is Mr. Burns. I believe you have a sum of money that belongs to me.

-Ok, and what's your first name Mr. Burns?

-I don't know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Kudos to you, dollybird, but remember - no good deed goes unpunished...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I refuse to leave it into anyone elses hands at this point as I do not trust that all that can possibly be done to locate the owner will be done. This is really frustrating me!!!! Surely someone has missed it by now?!

What are the bets if I put up a sign stating money found call xxxx i'd get a lot of hoax callers?

If it's "not a fiver or even a fifty", then it's possible that the "owners" came upon it by less than desirable means. (Do you know enough about the banknote security features to be certain it's not forged?) Not guaranteed, of course, but possible. In which case they may not be too keen to be claiming it off anyone.

For a sum that large, I'd be handing it to the guards myself. Too many variables involved.

And yes, you would get a LOT of hoax callers, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ya, you might get hoax callers, but only the true owner of the money will know exactly where it was lost, how much exactly it was, and what denominations of notes.

easy really.

I checked the notes, they are genuine. It's not a huge sum that would cause suspicion, more like cash for a big weekly shop if you get me?

I know that only the rightful owner would know the amount & where it was lost but what makes me reticient to put up a poster is that I don't want my mobile no. put up like that so I am not going to do that. I have it left with the store, the guards, Galway Bay FM so I think I have covered enough bases that if someone is looking for it they are the places to check really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Boards could be hitting the Headlines any day soon again thanks to Dollybird! x :)

Have we a Clapping Emoticon?! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

That money was just restign in my account!

Free lost and found ad in galway advertiser if your found something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

fair play OP people like you restore faith in humanity!
    you are absolutely exhausting every avenue to ensure that it's reclaimed by it's rightful owner. I know I'd be devastated if I lost money like that and would be thrilled to have it recovered.

Three cheers for dollybird2...hiphip...!

Aw shucks guys :o
    I'd like to thank my parents for rearing me with morals, my manager for ghostwriting my boards.ie posts, and I hope for .......... world peace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

charity begins at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I can't help yah, but do let us know if and when it gets sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

OP your honesty is commendable! Fair play to you and I hope you get a long run of good luck in the future :)

Advertisement