Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who was the most prolific killer?

• 30-08-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Who was the most prolific individual killer during the troubles?

I'm not a Ra head or anything like that but over the years I've been reading allot of books and researching articles about the conflict in the north.

I have come across some people who are alleged to have notched up a serious head count. But because they are allegations most books or articles rarely give actual numbers of people believed to have been killed by individuals, republicans or loyalists.

I had read that Dessie O Hare is believed to have killed over 30 people and that was the most I had heard being attributed to a single individual until I read about an article about Robin 'The Jackal' Jackson. This guys seem to take the biscuit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Jackson

That article say 50 people and with the protection he received from the Brits I could believe it. Another article said he is believed to be responsible for over 100 killings.

Do you know or have you heard of other individuals trigger men with large head counts to their name?

I know this is a macabre subject and I do not support any sort of terror in any was but I am fascinated that these sort of things happen in this country so recently and would like to learn more.

Here are some individuals who will have allot of explaining to do at the pearly gates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Lynagh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dessie_O%27Hare

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Obviously Gerard Steenson. Doctor Death himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Whats this topic got to do with the military?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

Locust wrote: »
    Whats this topic got to do with the military?

Where would you recommend that I post it? There seems to be other threads in here about the troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Where would you recommend that I post it? There seems to be other threads in here about the troubles.

Sir - in other threads it is generalities that are being discussed, not the name of a person who may be directly or indirectly responsible for mass murders.

I could suggest a place to post your question, but it would not be either politic or polite.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Sir - in other threads it is generalities that are being discussed, not the name of a person who may be directly or indirectly responsible for mass murders.

I could suggest a place to post your question, but it would not be either politic or polite.

tac

Jesus man, Its not like I'm trying to get you to blow the lid on some top secret info you have!!! As you can see from the links i posted it is common knowledge. I was just wondering were there any other out there with allot of killings under their belt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jesus man, Its not like I'm trying to get you to blow the lid on some top secret info you have!!! As you can see from the links i posted it is common knowledge. I was just wondering were there any other out there with allot of killings under their belt.

Any **** can leave a bomb in a shopping centre, or walk into a bookies with a gun. Killing people indescriminantly isn't difficult and isn't what an army is about.

Discussing the military implications of an ambush, or the merits of a particular weapon is completely different to a macabre to a top ten of who was the most blood thirsty killer.

Any **** can leave a bomb in a shopping centre, or walk into a bookies with a gun. Killing people indescriminantly isn't difficult and isn't what an army is about.

I'm not looking to discuss the merits of the tactics used by the paramilitaries up north just which individuals were the most prolific killers.

If you don't like the thread then go and give the new guy in your barracks a wedgie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

Seriously, wtf has terrorist murderers got to do with the military?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

The Brit dirty tricks dept who armed and directed the loyalists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, that didn't take long.

[Mod hat on]

Right, awarding infractions for the wedgie comment for general incivility, and the Brit Army one for yet again taking a bash at the Brits. (Patsy, the next one earns you at least a temp-ban, clear?)

Questions on 'who killed the most people' aren't per se unlawful in the military forum. Adolf Galland, Manfred von Richthofen, Lafayette Pool, Michael Wittmann or Simo Hayha are famous for their kill tallies and discussion on them is approved. Indeed, we would never be talking about them if they hadn't killed so many people. It would not be inaccurate to say that they are celebrated for their killing.

With regards to the Troubles, things get a little more interesting. I can't say the topic is verboten right off the bat. Counterinsurgency is an aspect of warfare that militaries deal with, and the British military in particular was rather involved in this one. On the other hand, not all targets were military: If a UVF sniper killed seven PIRA personnel, does it count for the purposes of this board? I'm always inclined to rule 'generously'. It's theoretically possible to talk about anything in a civil manner. Whether you do so is up to you guys.

There is a natural follow-on. Once someone has been identified as particularly successful, the 'who', conversation will likely turn to the 'why'. Fratton has hit the nail:
    Discussing the military implications of an ambush, or the merits of a particular weapon is completely different

Why was Joe Bloggs so successful? What tactics or techniques or weapons did he use to kill fifteen soldiers and five constables? What can we learn from this? The discussion on Warrenpoint generally civilly discussed such things, whilst also naming a few people by name. I see no reason that this should not occur on this thread as well.

I understand the need to be a little sensitive about the subject matter, but neither will I prohibit its discussion. Of course, I can't force people to answer the question either: If for your own personal reasons you do not wish to do so, it's your perrogative to ignore it.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Adolf Galland, Manfred von Richthofen, Lafayette Pool, Michael Wittmann or Simo Hayha are famous for their kill tallies and discussion on them is approved. Indeed, we would never be talking about them if they hadn't killed so many people. It would not be inaccurate to say that they are celebrated for their killing.
    NTM

The above named are famed for their combat success against trained, armed enemies. All engaged in warfare in the full knowledge of what was involved. Point me to where they bombed innocents,hacked of civilians digits, kneecapped dissenters, sold their comrades out for cash, extorted, blackmailed and murdered innocents and I might put some credence in your post.

O.P what value has the answer to your question? asking it is in my opinion picking at scabs. There are people post here who were affected directly by the troubles and for the life of me I can see no merit in any information gained from asking such a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Who was the most prolific individual killer during the troubles?[/url]

Lung cancer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭oglaigh

[Edited by MOD- I've ruled on the matter already, thank you.]

Advertisement