Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it HDD, RAM, Mobo, OS... Or Something Worse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

so is all your data gone off the hd if so try running dban boot and nuck also remove 1 stick of ram and try loading up the new o/s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

AHCI is normal, it should only be set as IDE for compatibility reasons.

Pressing F8 before windows boots allows you to select the option for windows memory diagnostic. However, memtest is a more reliable indicator. You can download it as an image for CD, boot it from a USB drive or get it with a copy of several versions of linux (e.g. ubuntu; mint).
    www.memtest.org

... what PSU do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Kevinf63

massy086 wrote: »
    so is all your data gone off the hd
    Yes it is.
    if so try running dban boot and nuck
    what do you mean by that? Do I type "dban boot" or "nuck" into CMD?
    also remove 1 stick of ram and try loading up the new o/s
    Will do. I will be putting that Stick back in though yeh?

http://www.dban.org/ you will need to burn it on to a disc and boot from it what it does is completely wipe your hard drive iv found this can help when i,v had trouble installing o/s before and yes you will be putting the ram back in once its not faulty

Monotype wrote: »
    AHCI is normal, it should only be set as IDE for compatibility reasons.
    okay thank you, but correct me if I'm wrong here, isn't ACHI older than SATA? Why is SATA not in "SATA mode" if you know what I mean?
    Pressing F8 before windows boots allows you to select the option for windows memory diagnostic. However, memtest is a more reliable indicator. You can download it as an image for CD, boot it from a USB drive or get it with a copy of several versions of linux (e.g. ubuntu; mint).
    www.memtest.org
    windows memory diagnostic won't work through F8 cause I actually don't have windows just BIOS. Everything is corrupt including boot manager (can't remember exactly if that was what "boot manager" was actually called) but I'll give that memtest a go but I'll need to get it off someone elses PC as I'm sending this through my iPod touch!
    ... what PSU do you have?
    Coolermaster true power M620 (620 watts). It's not on Komplett.ie anymore.

• Advertisement

I have RMA'd the RAM as it was the cause of the problems. Over 20,000 errors... But if the RAM has 20,000 errors could that mean my CPU will have errors too?

nah probably not did you already send back the ram please say no

nah probably not did you already send back the ram please say no

I'm sorry but yes I have... Why? I'm guessing it was a bad idea or there is a much easier solution? I tracked it and put insurance on it...

who did you send it to if it was komplett you might be waiting months thats all

who did you send it to if it was komplett you might be waiting months thats all

Nah, I sent it to Corsair. The makers of the RAM. You have to fill out a form in which they accept or refuse for RMA. Should take 5 business days to come back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement