Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Eligibility

Options
  • 30-08-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if I'd be eligible for rent allowance and, if so, if there's anything I should know about how to go about applying for it.

I've been out of work and in receipt of social welfare for over 12 months (having been let go after my employer closed down). I'm 24. I had to leave the place I was renting to move back in with my parents, and that's where I am at the moment. I'm currently dividing my time between job hunting and taking a few part time courses including a FÁS course in order to get my life back together. Living with my parents is not going very well and it's really time that I got out on my own again.

So the basics are; I'm 24, single, unemployed and in receipt of social welfare for over 12 months. I'm not on any list for social housing or anything like that - I simply wish to move out of my parents home and into a small apartment on my own.

Do I sound like I would be eligible for rent allowance?

Thanks for your help. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Unfortunately, it is unlikely as you normally have to be resident for 6 months in rented accomodation. However, the best thing to do is go to your Community Welfare Officer regarding your situation.

The good thing about living at home, assuming you are not expected to contribute rent and bills, is that you have the opportunity to save 6 months rent and deposit. Many people have managed to do this in your situation.

Advertisement