Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what books do I need for english and history?

Options
  • 30-08-2010 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi , what books are needed for english and history .Im asking so I can look around second hand book shops and online

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

At the start of each semester, your lcturers have to provide you with an outline of the course you will be taking; this should include assessment methods, lecture times...and what books to get/read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I will add, however, that especially in humanities courses there isn't just one or two books that you can buy and read/learn. I'm not sure about English as I didn't do that (so maybe you just need to get a hold of the literature you'll be reading) but certainly for history buying one book comes no where nearing to sufficing and generally proves to be somewhat of a waste of money as the books are ridiculously over-expensive (anything from €25-€100+ depending!). The library is your friend. Really.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

I will add, however, that especially in humanities courses there isn't just one or two books that you can buy and read/learn. I'm not sure about English as I didn't do that (so maybe you just need to get a hold of the literature you'll be reading) but certainly for history buying one book comes no where nearing to sufficing and generally proves to be somewhat of a waste of money as the books are ridiculously over-expensive (anything from €25-€100+ depending!). The library is your friend. Really.

The library really is your friend, but with fewer resources and fewer people buying books then resources are gonna get stretched. Careful planning ahead of time will get you through easily. Also beware f*****s taking books out for months at a time......it still happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 berserkpaperbag

Hey. I assume for the English half you're doing The Irish Literary Revival and Critical Practice 1.

For the Irish Revival you start off with some short texts/poems which are available online. And as far as novels go we read George Moore - The Untilled Field, Sean O'Casey - Three Plays, J.M. Synge - Riders to the Sea and Playboy of the Western World, and W.B. Yeats Collected Poems. All these should be available from O Mahoneys bookshop on campus. But if you know anyone who graduated from English recently, they might sell/give them to you? Some are available in the library but they will be gone when you are told to read them, so get in there early.

For Critical Practice 1 we had to read, Jane Austen - Mansfield Park, Paul Auster - The New York Trilogy, Joseph Conrad - The Secret Agent, and Edgar Allan Poe - Selected Tales. However, bare in mind there are just two essays so technically you won't have to read all these books because you'll only be writing essays on two of them.

Wow, I can't believe I remembered all that two years later. :)

What area are you doing in history this semester?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

Currently in third year English and History!

For English make sure you get Writing from A to Z - It is your reference bible for MLA!!

If you have lucked out and Padraig Lennihan still lectures the Irish History module in Semester one - then go buy CONSALIDATING CONQUEST like NOW - oh and a HIGHLIGHTER -- His lectures are just chunks of that book, which he wrote, put up on slideshows!

After that it is entirely up to you if you buy all the books or use library but those two are musts tbh!

Hope that helps! :)

If you have lucked out and Padraig Lennihan still lectures the Irish History module in Semester one - then go buy CONSALIDATING CONQUEST like NOW - oh and a HIGHLIGHTER -- His lectures are just chunks of that book, which he wrote, put up on slideshows!

I think Pádraig is after going to NUIG now....and I thought he was a good lecturer when I was an undergrad....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Padraig is a great lecturer. The pace of his lectures are a bit daunting at first, but you get into it soon enough.

Buy as few books as you possibly can. I know in another thread you said you weren't sure about the course. It's a bit of a culture shock at first, but you'll get the hang of it eventually.

I didn't even do history for Leaving Cert and I managed to do fairly well overall. Don't get too discouraged early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

constantg wrote: »
    I think Pádraig is after going to NUIG now....and I thought he was a good lecturer when I was an undergrad....

Say it isn't so :(:(

Didnt like him in semester one of first year, then had him for my actually tutorial in semester two and i was like how the hell did i not like this man!
    He hangs on your every word if you talk in a tutorial!

Please say it's lies he has left! :(

Advertisement