Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Deadline Day As it Happens...........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why do Stoke need Eidur Gudjohnsen? Are they gonna actually pass the ball? He'd have been a decent signing for Liverpool on loan.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

How are his long throws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Somebody on Twitter described Transfer Deadline Day as:
    Deadline day reminds me of people who shop on Christmas Eve for cheaper prices/end up failing & picking up something from the petrol station

I think that's a good way of putting it in some cases...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

flahavaj wrote: »
    Why do Stoke need Eidur Gudjohnsen? Are they gonna actually pass the ball? He'd have been a decent signing for Liverpool on loan.

It'll be the same scenario as the Tuncay one.

He likes to play football so will be out of favour with Pulis in a month.

Etherington is the only 'footballer' that starts every week for Stoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Too much Football Manager :rolleyes:
    Lol, I wouldn't play football manager as a crap team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

VDV for 8 million is a ****ing cracking signging. Would really add to Spurs. All they need now is a striker and a new left back and they've got some ****ing squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sums up R.Madrid when a 18m deal is almost complete and then they accept 8m the next day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

If the VDV goes through its a brilliant signing for £8m. He could turn out to be the Sneijder of Spurs. When Kaka was missing last year for Real he was the replacement and he played brilliantly, saving them on numerous occasions, none more so than his injury-time winner with Atletico. Thing is its not confirmed yet. The likes of Real possess so much talent in depth that they are the ideal club to buy from, once of course you can afford the crazy wages. Why Man Utd or Liverpool didnt go for him I'll never know. He would have been perfect especially for one of those 2 who are short on top-quality attacking midfielders. Btw who is financing Spurs these past few seasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Warper wrote: »
    If the VDV goes through its a brilliant signing for £8m. He could turn out to be the Sneijder of Spurs. When Kaka was missing last year for Real he was the replacement and he played brilliantly, saving them on numerous occasions, none more so than his injury-time winner with Atletico. Thing is its not confirmed yet. The likes of Real possess so much talent in depth that they are the ideal club to buy from, once of course you can afford the crazy wages. Why Man Utd or Liverpool didnt go for him I'll never know. He would have been perfect especially for one of those 2 who are short on top-quality attacking midfielders. Btw who is financing Spurs these past few seasons?
    Turnover and Sales have financed us our owner hasn't put a penny(for transfers anyway) into the club and we have pretty much been breaking even every season and with champions league money plus we have doubled our sponsership income this season.went from 8.5m to 15-20m a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Warper wrote: »
    Btw who is financing Spurs these past few seasons?

Man United by paying ridic amounts for lemons like Carrick and Berbs, and Pool for buying Robbie off us for a few weeks and selling him back for much less!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Yep a major 4 mil difference, that's enough to fund a club in the Premiership I am sure.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Still no confirmation on if it went through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The conspiracy theorist in me says that the necessary paperwork wasn't filed on time, but the Premiership will ratify it anyway because VDV coming in is good for the league / TV revenue / etc.

It might be interesting if some of the other clubs wanted to examine challenging the transfer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The conspiracy theorist in me says that the necessary paperwork wasn't filed on time, but the Premiership will ratify it anyway because VDV coming in is good for the league / TV revenue / etc.

It might be interesting if some of the other clubs wanted to examine challenging the transfer...

i think it happened before, where the PL basically said that as long as the clubs can show they did everything they could to get the paperwork in on time, that it wouldn't be an issue - think the Benjani deal to city may have happened in those circumstances.

i think it happened before, where the PL basically said that as long as the clubs can show they did everything they could to get the paperwork in on time, that it wouldn't be an issue - think the Benjani deal to city may have happened in those circumstances.
    I think it was the arshavin deal they said a considerable effort was made etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I think it was the arshavin deal they said a considerable effort was made etc etc

Twas indeed. The necessary paperwork couldn't be brought to the office in time because of the snow or some paper thin excuse like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Arshavin deal happened after heavy snow fall. Clubs were given a bit of leeway as they could have argued that a lot of the necessary admin staff couldn't make it in to work etc.

I see. In this case weather certainly wasn't an issue. If I was Liverpool / Villa / Arsenal / City I would be unhappy about this signing and I'd certainly be thinking about looking at a possible official complaint on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Definitely for me too, especially considering the whole process started at around 16:00 according to Redknapp. If the paperwork was in on time and it was just a problem with the FA office not getting it done yet then all is well, but there are certainly no circumstances for me that should allow the deal go through after the deadline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Definitely for me too, especially considering the whole process started at around 16:00 according to Redknapp. If the paperwork was in on time and it was just a problem with the FA office not getting it done yet then all is well, but there are certainly no circumstances for me that should allow the deal go through after the deadline.

they are claiming problem with the computer servers.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Tottenham-hoping-server-problems-will-save-Rafael-van-der-Vaart-deal-article569547.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I didn't see this one mentioned.

Sligo Rovers Padraig Amond joins Portuguese team Pacos Ferreira.

http://www.joe.ie/football/league-of-ireland/amond-leaves-sligo-rovers-for-portuguese-team-004855-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

MOG7 wrote: »

http://www.joe.ie/football/league-of-ireland/amond-leaves-sligo-rovers-for-portuguese-team-004855-1
    I think it happened early enough yesterday morning, there are a few posts about it earlier on in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Lars Jacobsen to West Ham awaiting confirmation from the FA.
    Free transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

has there been precedent for any deals to be deemed late? It seems like the VDV was too late and the "server" issue is a a fast one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I hope they don't get it confirmed, would server them right :pac:

Smegball wrote: »
    I hope they don't get it confirmed, would server them right :pac:
    I'd feel bad more for him than anyone else as otherwise he will be sitting there until January without any football. The only reason he stayed last year was because his wife was getting cancer treatment in Madrid at the time and he only got a chance when kaka got injured and he did pretty well as well. If it doesnt go through hopefully he can get a loan somewhere similar to the emergency loan facility in England.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If it doesn't go though, it shows the bios against Spurs :P

I'd feel bad more for him than anyone else as otherwise he will be sitting there until January without any football. The only reason he stayed last year was because his wife was getting cancer treatment in Madrid at the time and he only got a chance when kaka got injured and he did pretty well as well. If it doesnt go through hopefully he can get a loan somewhere similar to the emergency loan facility in England.

By the way, would have no problem with a temporary loan deal being arranged if such a facility exists. Just find it irritating that these deadlines are such fragile things when it comes down to it. Why clubs are scrambling around so late in the day is puzzling. Why they are let away with it time and time again is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

MOG7 wrote: »

PadraigAmond.jpg

Really hope he can do well in Portugal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Lars Jacobsen to West Ham awaiting confirmation from the FA.
    Free transfer.

Free transfers can be completed outside the window can't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

matrim wrote: »
    Free transfers can be completed outside the window can't they?

unattached players can be I think, but that must be at odds with the new rules on nameing a squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

They could be signed on a free but could only be registered when the next transfer window opens afaik. Could only play in cup games until then.

Daemonic wrote: »
    They could be signed on a free but could only be registered when the next transfer window opens afaik. Could only play in cup games until then.

Yep,this,I think it's the same with free agents but I could be wrong.

Official VDV signed on ssn now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Get in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

COYS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The attacking midfielder, 27, was the Bundesliga side's leading scorer in his first season in Germany and went on to captain the side before joining Real Madrid ahead of the 2007/08 campaign.

Noobs.

He signed for Madrid pre 2008/2009. Not 07/08.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Great bit of wheeling and dealing by 'Arry to get VDV

• Advertisement

Great bit of wheeling and dealing by 'Arry to get VDV

E'z NOT A FACKING WHEELA DEALA EZ A FACKING FOOBUWW MANAGA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

By the way, would have no problem with a temporary loan deal being arranged if such a facility exists. Just find it irritating that these deadlines are such fragile things when it comes down to it. Why clubs are scrambling around so late in the day is puzzling. Why they are let away with it time and time again is beyond me.

The FA are basically spineless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I'm not surprised at all that it was let through (with sod all details released either as far as I can tell). Nobody was objecting so no way they were going to go against two clubs' wishes.

Bit harsh on VDV for the BBC to use this clip with their story on it though.
    _48321815_chaniesta_goal_640.jpgVan der Vaart fails to stop Iniesta's World Cup-winning goal
    It's not like he's never done anything better than that on the pitch!

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I'm not surprised at all that it was let through (with sod all details released either as far as I can tell). Nobody was objecting so no way they were going to go against two clubs' wishes.

Bit harsh on VDV for the BBC to use this clip with their story on it though.

Jesus,the BBC are some sadacts to be showing that

Example 1:

Spurs fans should like that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'm fairly sure Man City, Villa, Liverpool, Everton etc would be up in arms if there was even the slightest hint that it wasn't done by the rules

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Confirmation that Lars Jacobsen has signed for West Ham on a free,Also signed a Belgian Keeper named Ruud Boffin,who was on trial.

Finally Timo Hildebrand has a club. He's on his way to Portugal to sign for Sporting Lisbon.

Really think Wenger missed out on this one.

Just in relation to the thread warper started.
    I would imagine he was looking to play football and he wasn't going to get any at Madrid and I also think Real would see Unites/Chelsea and Arsenal as competitors for the Champions league hence why the offer was made to Spurs. They probably don't expect spurs to get out of the group stages so they are probably delighted to have 8m and him off the wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just in relation to the thread warper started.
    I would imagine he was looking to play football and he wasn't going to get any at Madrid and I also think Real would see Unites/Chelsea and Arsenal as competitors for the Champions league hence why the offer was made to Spurs. They probably don't expect spurs to get out of the group stages so they are probably delighted to have 8m and him off the wage bill.

Was there not a theory about how he tends to bottle it at the big clubs a few years back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement