Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfer Deadline Day As it Happens...........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    13 million quid for Gyan, hahaha what a disaster buy.

£8m for Kenwyne Jones plus £3m for Marytn Wagorn means that we've totalled £11m from those two. We've also sold Cana for £5m, Daryl Murphy for £1.5m.

We're still in profit for the summer transfer window despite spending £13m on Gyan (which I feel is good business).

I'd trust the judgement of Ellis Short, Niall Quinn, Steve Walton, Steve Bruce and co over yours.

I'd wager you were one of many who thought paying £16.5m (if all the add-ons are paid) was a 'disaster buy' too :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I doubt he'll be worth 13m for sunderland if i'm 100% honest, disaster panic buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Yea that's right. Ye signed a player the manager at your club has never play...and according to many sites it was 7.4m.
    I've seen Gyan play too, and yes, he's worth 13m and he'll be a good player for Sunderland.

Gyan is a bull of a player. Works like a dog but has that bit of explosiveness about him. His finishing at times can be a bit off though. He was quality during the world cup aswell. Well done Sunderland on that one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

joe123 wrote: »
    Yeah signing Meireles was a great buy

careful_now.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I was hoping a prem club would sign Rod Fanni too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭joe123

I doubt he'll be worth 13m for sunderland if i'm 100% honest, disaster panic buy.

What is wrong with you? Youre talking nonsense im afraid.

We have openly being trying to sign him for the last two weeks and Bruce has said that he has been scouting him for over a season.

Quinn has said a couple of days ago that he'd never sanction spending money for the sake of it and risk putting the club in financial danger.

How is he a panic buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

"You can't say Your opinion is that this signing the team i support made is bad business because, in my opinion, the team you support made a piece of bad business a while back..................."

Seriously lads, i thought this kinda stuff stopped in Primary School?

Ian Harte gone to Reading now too

• Advertisement

How is he a panic buy?

Perhaps not a panic buy, but not value for money IMO!

Do you honestly think he's good value for 13 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I've got my tissues, originally to be used to clean up in the off chance that we signed van der vaart :P.

Gunna be wiping the tears away if Spurs got him, please god don't let it be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

MrStuffins wrote: »
    "You can't say Your opinion is that this signing the team i support made is bad business because, in my opinion, the team you support made a piece of bad business a while back..................."

Seriously lads, i thought this kinda stuff stopped in Primary School?

Welcome to the soccer forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Probably the most boring transfer window I've ever wasted my time being kept updated on.

It was all about Robinho, Ryan Babel. Boo hoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jeez, we won't know 'til we see him play. He's after having a decent World Cup, they weren't going to get him for sweet **** all now were they?

• Advertisement

Doocey wrote: »
    Probably the most boring transfer window I've ever wasted my time being kept updated on.

It was all about Robinho, Ryan Babel. Boo hoo.

Delighted it's closed tbh,would've cut me wrists if Parker had went

*waits for news to filter through that Parker has signed for Spurs*

No, I've just being defending his signing for the last half an hour for the craic :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

you still haven't answered about how many games you've seen him play. his scoring record seems pretty poor.

No, I've just being defending his signing for the last half an hour for the craic :rolleyes:
    No, you're doing that because you're a stubborn fan.

I can't see how anyone thinks he will be good value for 13 million.

Wow, Phil McNulty says that Van der Vaart is in Spurs territory right now.

• Advertisement

Our BBC transfer window live text man Paul Fletcher reporting that word is Rafael van der Vaart at Spurs lodge. Out of the blue if true

Oh god, oh god.

*Dry heaves*

How is he a panic buy?

campbell injured, lumped way too much money on the table because they had to, that's how its a panic buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Beausejour to Birmingham is a fantastic little deal.

Steve Bruce told Sky Sports to get rid of Big Ben.

G'man Brucey!

Archimedes wrote: »
    Beausejour to Birmingham is a fantastic little deal.

They've done some great business today!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Heh, every August/January: "This transfer window was shít" :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

campbell injured, lumped way too much money on the table because they had to, that's how its a panic buy.

Bruce just said that he was afraid that Fenerbache would have snapped up Gyan 6 weeks ago. He's obviously not a panic buy. They had to outdo another team.

Not a panic buy in my eyes.

Whether it's value or not remains to be seen.

Heh, every August/January: "This transfer window was shít" :)

Funny thing is, when teams had money to throw around, Transfer Deadline Day used to be awesome!

But not anymore. And its been **** for ages now.

Sure SSN were talking about Cricket fir half the day!

Sunderland tried to buy him in the summer therefore it was clearly premeditated.

Last minute does not equal panic buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why does the deadline exist? They should cut out all this flexibility BS. 6 o' clock and it should be over.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Why does the deadline exist? They should cut out all this flexibility BS. 6 o' clock and it should be over.

Maybe i'm wrong, but didnt it used to be midnight, but there used to be "problems" putting throught paperwork etc.

So they now have it at 6 O'Clock to close all business and they have until 12 to put through the paperwork?

(I could be wrong here)

It is over,the deals we're hearing about now are just the ones that weren't announced bang on 6'o clock

The Gyan deal has been on the table for far longer than Sunday which was the day Campbell picked up his injury.

If you listened to Bruce's interview on SSN he said he tried to sign him last season and was in proper negotiations with Rennes as far as 6 weeks ago.

There's absolutely no evidence of 'panic' there.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Sunderland tried to buy him in the summer therefore it was clearly premeditated.

Last minute does not equal panic buy.

^^^^^

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It is over,the deals we're hearing about now are just the ones that weren't announced bang on 6'o clock

I don't think so, what about Van de Vaart if he signs for Spurs? That would mean the deal was all signed and sealed before 6, yet it seems like he is actually in talks, not signed or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Good summer for Arsenal.

We cleared out deadwood and disruptive influences ( Silvestre, Gallas ) lost Sol which was a blow,sold Eddie which he was never recovering sadly,signed Chamakh on a free. Two defenders in and a keeper who is currently injured.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Good summer for Arsenal.

We cleared out deadwood and disruptive influences ( Silvestre, Gallas ) lost Sol which was a blow,sold Eddie which he was never recovering sadly,signed Chamakh on a free. Two defenders in and a keeper who is currently injured.

Also, the away jersey is pretty sweet :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

Feck being away from the tv!
    Did Tottenham get Van der Vaart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I honestly believe that while Sunderland, Stoke and possibly Spurs (if Van der Vaart signs) will still the headlines that Birmingham were the real success story today. Picking up Alexander Hleb a player with proven Prem experience will add much needed quality. Then Jiranek an experienced CB to add cover to the back line. Beausejour was a good signing as well, showed some flashes of talent during the WC and his pace brings a new dimension to the team. A great piece of business by the board and Mc Leish.

• Advertisement

I don't think so, what about Van de Vaart if he signs for Spurs? That would mean the deal was all signed and sealed before 6, yet it seems like he is actually in talks, not signed or anything.

Well in January i remember hearing early in the day that Ilan and Mido were at Upton Park then heard nothing until a good while after the window closed so I assume it has to do with sending faxes of the players contracts to the FA or something

Spanish media said Van Der Vaart rejected Spurs offer. Find it hard to believe he would race all the way to Spurs lodge and then reject the offer made.

Hope it's true though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Well in January i remember hearing early in the day that Ilan and Mido were at Upton Park then heard nothing until a good while after the window closed so I assume it has to do with sending faxes of the players contracts to the FA or something

Yeah that usually happens, there sometimes is a backlog in the FA offices due to the busy nature of the day, and until the FA get it processed and send word back to the club technically the deal is not done,this of course is once the paperwork was submitted before 6pm.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Spanish media said Van Der Vaart rejected Spurs offer. Find it hard to believe he would race all the way to Spurs lodge and then reject the offer made.

Hope it's true though.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭pavb2

Didn't want to start a new thread and not strictly on topic but thinking what would the implications be if managers were'nt allowed to move after transfer or season start deadline.

Good or bad for the game?

Does EU employment law come into it?

pavb2 wrote: »
    Didn't want to start a new thread and not strictly on topic but thinking what would the implications be if managers were'nt allowed to move after transfer or season start deadline.

Good or bad for the game?

Does EU employment law come into it?
    It would be a good thing I reckon,there would be more of a sense of security in clubs when they know their manager will definately be there at least until the transfer window comes around,and newly promoted clubs would have a chance of survival,Eoin Coyle leaving Burnley really killed them last season for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Feck being away from the tv!
    Did Tottenham get Van der Vaart?

nowt confirmed just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Van der vaart!! What a player...

Sam Matterface from Sky Sports News just tweeted ''Van Der Vaart joins Spurs''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

In fairness, I wouldn't have paid more than £8m for him.
    I wouldn't exactly call him a panic buy, considering ye had been locked in talks for ages, and had been tracking him since after the World Cup, but ye've certainly overpaid for the Ghanaian.

Just look at it this way, ye paid the guts of £10m for Darren Bent, who has been a brilliant signing in fairness. £3m more for a guy that has yet to play English football, and has a lot to prove?

Still, I think he'll score goals. (He'd bloody want to :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

falan wrote: »
    Van der vaart!! What a player...

the spuds need players that might be good enough to beat wigan at home.

Actually players that are good enough to draw with wigan at home will do

• Advertisement
Advertisement