Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming pc

Options
  • 30-08-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

hey lads,
    currently have an old out of date laptop, instead of buying a new one i figure just get a desktop,
    I would like to be able to play games such as COD, Battlefield , maybe some mmorpg's ,
    I have no idea how to put a build together myself, would i be able to get a decent gaming + allround pc for about €1000? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

€1K isn't really a budget PC. I assume since you're moving from a laptop that the budget has to include speakers/keyboard/mouse/screen/operating system?

You should be able to build a reasonable gaming PC even if this is the case. It isn't hard to put together with a few guides and the manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Monotype wrote: »
    €1K isn't really a budget PC. I assume since you're moving from a laptop that the budget has to include speakers/keyboard/mouse/screen/operating system?

You should be able to build a reasonable gaming PC even if this is the case. It isn't hard to put together with a few guides and the manuals.

I have speakers, mouse, keyboard,
    I also have a small screen, about 15" , low end but works.

Will definitely need OS tho .

after looking around I assumed wrongly that most gaming pc's cost a few grand, my bad :confused:

EDIT: also, i was thinking about 1000 Max, Would rather if it was 700 -800

but would this be decent from novatech

hey lads,
    currently have an old out of date laptop, instead of buying a new one i figure just get a desktop,
    I would like to be able to play games such as COD, Battlefield , maybe some mmorpg's ,
    I have no idea how to put a build together myself, would i be able to get a decent gaming + allround pc for about €1000

was hoping to not have to spend more than 800 or so,
    but a few of the pc's at novatech seem very good
    this
    and this

was hoping to find something that will not be outdated for a while, and that is easily upgraded when that time comes.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

metalfest wrote: »

after looking around I assumed wrongly that most gaming pc's cost a few grand, my bad :confused:

EDIT: also, i was thinking about 1000 Max, Would rather if it was 700 -800

but would this be decent from novatech

Works out at just under €1050 excluding an OS!
    Just as a demonstration, I've put together a shopping basket of all the parts on komplett.ie. Komplett is not the cheapest place on-line (I just find them quicker to put together a basket:P) to order these things, so shop around, however it is a good example of the savings that can be made if you shop around. :

345dkzl.png

I've gone for an exact replica oh the Pc on novatech (ex. PSU, it was overkill anyway) and it came in at over €100 cheaper!!! And even more savings can be made by dropping that case, going for a 600/550w PSU (depending on what you plan on doing in future). Also, the x6 is great value, but it aint cheap - not to mention surplus to requirement - so if you decide to go for something robust like an (intel) i5-760 + P55 or even an (amd) x4-955 then that is at least another €100 saved!

If that's not reason enough to put it together yourself, then I can guarantee done myself for €20 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

not great value when you add windows it shoots up to 845

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Epic and spectacular thread fail ugone2far.gif Offending posts merged with OP's new thread!

Just as a demonstration, I've put together a shopping basket of all the parts on komplett.ie. Komplett is not the cheapest place on-line (I just find them quicker to put together a basket:P) to order these things, so shop around, however it is a good example of the savings that can be made if you shop around. :

I've gone for an exact replica oh the Pc on novatech (ex. PSU, it was overkill anyway) and it came in at over €100 cheaper!!! And even more savings can be made by dropping that case, going for a 600/550w PSU (depending on what you plan on doing in future). Also, the x6 is great value, but it aint cheap - not to mention surplus to requirement - so if you decide to go for something robust like an (intel) i5-760 + P55 or even an (amd) x4-955 then that is at least another €100 saved!

If that's not reason enough to put it together yourself, then I can guarantee done myself for €20 ;)

riiight :eek:

you clearly know far more than me, would I be able to get a decent machine for less so?
    one that wouldn't struggle with newer games ?
    btw where are you based

riiight :eek:

you clearly know far more than me, would I be able to get a decent machine for less so?
    Will you be just using the PC for gaming? Will you be upgrading your monitor down the line?
    You can have a build with i5-750/60 + GTX460(> HD 5770) for about €750 (ex. OS) which is fairly decent! :)

Will you be just using the PC for gaming? Will you be upgrading your monitor down the line?
    You can have a build with i5-750/60 + GTX460 for about €750 (ex. OS) which is fairly decent! :)

i probably will upgrade the monitor in a few months,
    i know a guy who fixes computers and I might be able to get Win7 from him if i can track him down so ex OS will probably be ideal :)

i probably will upgrade the monitor in a few months,
    i know a guy who fixes computers and I might be able to get Win7 from him if i can track him down so ex OS will probably be ideal :)
    Gaming-wise, you'll have a better build for €750 than the one you linked from novatech.

For example:
    HWVS180810.png

Delivered €30, they will also put it together for an extra €20.

Edit: the GTX460 may be overkill.

• Advertisement

so which is the best deal :confused: and how do i go about building the actual machine? does it run with no OS- sorry very new to this

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5945479/art/intel/gamer-intel-core-i5-650-2.html

That would leave you with enough to buy a decent monitor, other extras and the OS. It's a reasonably hi-spec PC for gaming. HDD is a tiny bit small, but they are simple to replace.

how do i go about building the actual machine?
    It's not hard if you have an interest in computers and have ever played with lego when you're a child. There are plenty of online guides, though try keep to the ones published in the last 3/4 years.
    does it run with no OS- sorry very new to this
    No, but you can download a very good one for free and install it on a usb stick if you want to try it out.

It's not hard if you have an interest in computers and have ever played with lego when you're a child. There are plenty of online guides, though try keep to the ones published in the last 3/4 years.

No, but you can download a very good one for free and install it on a usb stick if you want to try it out.

it's tempting especially what with me entering computer science in college,

is that pixmania link better or worse than my own build would be?

it's tempting especially what with me entering computer science in college,
    ZOMG I STUDY COMPUTER SCIENCE!

/spaz-attack

ZOMG I STUDY COMPUTER SCIENCE.

/spaz-attack

lollercopter.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

pizmania build is muckkkk go with Unregistered build

massy086 wrote: »
    pizmania build is muckkkk go with Unregistered build
    Use it only as a guide. You may want a different case or a GFX card from a different vendor, maybe a wireless card.

Use it only as a guide. You may want a different case or a GFX card from a different vendor.

cheers,
    should your build run most games well yeah?
    is there much room for error when putting it all together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭shinfujiwara

cheers,
    should your build run most games well yeah?
    is there much room for error when putting it all together?

His build with the GTX 460 is a very good one, it's stronger than mine and I can play new games at 1080p with no major problems. You should go with something similar IMO.

And mount a desktop computer is a very easy thing, if you have never done that and want a good job, you can pay them as he said.

But again, if you want to do it by yourself, you just need to follow some instructions, clarify some doubts with google and use a bit of common sense.

Good luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

I could recommend seperate parts, but if you dont want to build it yourself,

Use http://www.overclockers.co.uk

Their PC's are well built and usually highly superclocked,

about 750e will get you overclocked i3 machine which would run anything on market with ease

personally I would take time to build your own machine, its an enjoyable learning experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Skalragg wrote: »
    Their PC's are well built

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67581516
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

I think Overclockers are a bit overpriced myself and judging by some of the stories might be best to steer clear. Pixmania I had no idea it just looked like a decent budget build that you could add to, good to hear some feedback.

Novatech look like the business, I found a lovely bundle that has everything I need. Comes without HDD, GFX and optical drive which are all things I have, I needed everything else, I couldn't find that type of bundle anywhere else :cool:

Advertisement