Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc Computing (Part-Time - Evenings)

Options
  • 31-08-2010 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

Anybody done this last year or recently? Just wondering what to expect from course structure etc... any info would be helpful.

In particular when assignments are handed up and exams take place. I work in a place where its better to book time off in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I'm doing Business Information Systems in the evenings, but for the first 2 years we do the same classes with the Computing lads.

There's normally 2 continious assesment exams around week 4-6 and 8-10 or else a project and then the exams are around the start of december (mixture of day time and evenings).
    At least 1 subject will be totally continious assesment (usually the non IT one) so no final exam, meaning only 4 exams.

Lectures will most likely be tuesday and thursday 6.30 to 10.30 with Saturday 9.30 to 1.30 and every 2nd saturday you might have a lab from 2 to 4pm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

I'm doing Business Information Systems in the evenings, but for the first 2 years we do the same classes with the Computing lads.

There's normally 2 continious assesment exams around week 4-6 and 8-10 or else a project and then the exams are around the start of december (mixture of day time and evenings).
    At least 1 subject will be totally continious assesment (usually the non IT one) so no final exam, meaning only 4 exams.

Lectures will most likely be tuesday and thursday 6.30 to 10.30 with Saturday 9.30 to 1.30 and every 2nd saturday you might have a lab from 2 to 4pm too.

Cheers! So do you have any idea when we break for christmas and come back after new year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Christmas break is normally around 16th and then back 3rd week in Jan.

I have a few of the books from 1st year if you're interested.....

Christmas break is normally around 16th and then back 3rd week in Jan.

I have a few of the books from 1st year if you're interested.....

Nice one. I will get a list when I get my orientation done and give you a pm. Cheers!

I know we start on tuesday but I'd really love to know more about the academic calendar to get my days booked off in work!!!

I know the following;
    Semester 1 = 21st Jan - 18th dec (13 weeks)
    Exams = 10th - 20th Jan (2 weeks)

Semester2 = 1st Feb - 5th may (14 weeks)
    Exams = 9th - 20th May (2 weeks)

Semester 3 = 24th May - 30th July (10 weeks)
    Exams = 3rd - 11th August (2 weeks)

The year should only be 26 weeks, so when are we not in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

I know we start on tuesday but I'd really love to know more about the academic calendar to get my days booked off in work!!!

I know the following;
    Semester 1 = 21st Jan - 18th dec (13 weeks)
    Exams = 10th - 20th Jan (2 weeks)

Semester2 = 1st Feb - 5th may (14 weeks)
    Exams = 9th - 20th May (2 weeks)

Semester 3 = 24th May - 30th July (10 weeks)
    Exams = 3rd - 11th August (2 weeks)

The year should only be 26 weeks, so when are we not in?
    I'm starting tonight too! Cya there :)

I've no idea about the schedule though so eh, not really much help. Where did you come across the above though? I assumed it was only 2 semesters.

Yeah! See you up there.

And you are right, it's only 2 semesters. Got that info from here. You will need the student login to get access to it though. The weeks marked as reading weeks are basically mid-term. We won't know the excact exam dates until each lecturer has posted it up. (I rang them yesterday just to get exact dates for stuff as I work a rotating shift and need to book alot of time off for the course well in advance.)

...Haven't been this nervous in a long long time, but at the same time can't wait to get stuck in! Best of luck!

I have signed up for orientation this saturday from about 9.30 onwards, but I'm wondering if this is going to clash with class times if these are on as normal...And I obviously don't want to miss the first class... Nothing has been made clear so far. Any Ideas?

I have to admit, everything so far has left me a bit puzzled. Nothing seems clear. I wasn't even sure if i had walked into the right class last night until the course co-ordinator arrived in. He talked for about 15 minutes and left me feeling a little anxious that the course is all over the shop! Half the class couldn't log in!

Thankfully the lecturer that did eventually start was pretty competent. So i'm pleased that tuesday nights won't be an issue. So hopefully it's more of the same from here on in, and I'm hoping I haven't made the wrong choice with this course, and this college.

Check your NCI email, orientation has been changed to 1:45.

Paul was hilarious to be honest, stood there for 20 minutes without actually saying anything.

Agreed over the confusion. I was told there would be "greeters" around NCI lobby telling everyone where to go, didn't see anyone though.

How did you get on in that lab? :D

Yeah, it was very funny. A little alarming but funny none the less.

Found the lab to be easy. Probably just to ease people in gently. I reckon most of the modules will be like that.

Except maths. I'm not looking forward to maths...
    :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm alright with maths (I think?) but am most worried about programming. I've a bit of experience in everything else but have never done a tap of programming.

But In the words of Paul: ah I'm sure we'll be grand :D

I worked as a programmer for a biometrics company before. Most of it was basic enough stuff, but I reckon I won't have too much trouble with the first year.

To be honest, if you found the HTML lab easy enough the programming stuff should not be too much trouble either. Alot of it is about that 'nesting' that victoria was talking about.

Here are some MIT lectures on programming. Worth a watch if you are feeling worried about it. I only had a look at these to see what the first lecture would be like... :D

I still haven't got anything from the college about the orientation times change...probably find out tonight though.

In case anyone else missed it:
    With regard your programme and lectures. On Saturday 25th September your timetable is as follows:

· 9.00am – 11.00am: Personal and Professional Development in room 1.03

· 11.00am – 1.00pm: Introduction to Programming in room SCR2

· 1.45pm – 5.00pm: College Orientation

You can enroll for College Orientation at the enrollment desk in the atrium on the morning of Saturday 25th September.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm on the second year of the HCCE Course. The three computing courses have a common syllabus for the first two years. The most important thing for learning programming for me is layout. If you can layout your code properly, i.e. the Nesting thing then it makes the code 10 times easier to read.

Advertisement