Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malamute and the back garden...

Options
  • 31-08-2010 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hey, my first post in this section of the forums.

I've been seriously considering a lot lately getting a Malamute. I have done quite a lot of research and talked to a friend who knows a lot about animals as he used to work in a pet shop.

The only concern I have remaining is the dog in the garden. My main concern is "dog-napping". Does this happen often? (realistically). My garden is right beside a main road, although there is a huge wall, but I would be terrified of a group of lads trying to "nap" the dog. My knowledgeable friend tells me that if anything a big dog such as a Malamute would make the garden more secure, as it is their nature to defend and that a group of intruders would not too easily catch it and get it back over the wall. I will have a kennel of course, but wouldn't leave him locked up in there all day just to be kept safe from "napping". Leaving the dog inside the house every day is also not an option.
    My second concern, although lesser than the first, is the size of the garden. I would be walking this dog every single day, however I am a college student and I was wondering if a dog would get lonely / cooped up all by itself in a garden all day? The garden is not too small, about 10x5 meters.

I'd appreciate any advice on these concerns. The first one listed is the main reason I have put off getting a dog until now.

Thanks,
    Jason

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

First thing that strikes me I'm afraid is that just because your friend worked in a pet shop, doesn't mean he's an expert on dogs, and certainly not mals. Have you done much research into them? They are not 'defenders' they are very friendly, yes they are more loyal than siberian huskies, but I certainly wouldn't rely on a malamute to guard or defend my home. They make excellent watch dogs though - they will watch the burglar take your TV, DVD player etc:D

If you have someone who just wants to steal dogs and sell them on, without having much knowledge of the breeds they want, then I'd say they wouldn't go near a full grown malamute. Purely because of their size, and the fact that some people think they look very wolf-like, so find them scarey.

If you can exercise the dog properly, then the size of your garden isn't that important. However, being left on its own all day may be a bigger issue, they love company.

Can I ask what it is about mals that you particular like, and makes you want one?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I would imagine a Mal would howl a lot if lonely or bored - how would your neighbours be about it? They are very high-energy dogs that thrive on plenty of mental & physical stimulation, so I can't imagine they would do well "home alone" & would possibly become destructive as well.

This link gives some pros & cons: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/alaskanmalamutes.html

I would be very concerned about the risk of a Mal being "dogknapped" from the garden as they are a very popular & expensive dog at the moment. There is also a very good chance of the dog escaping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Jasonsc wrote: »

The only concern I have remaining is the dog in the garden. My main concern is "dog-napping". Does this happen often? (realistically). My garden is right beside a main road, although there is a huge wall, but I would be terrified of a group of lads trying to "nap" the dog. My knowledgeable friend tells me that if anything a big dog such as a Malamute would make the garden more secure, as it is their nature to defend and that a group of intruders would not too easily catch it and get it back over the wall. I will have a kennel of course, but wouldn't leave him locked up in there all day just to be kept safe from "napping". Leaving the dog inside the house every day is also not an option.
    My second concern, although lesser than the first, is the size of the garden. I would be walking this dog every single day, however I am a college student and I was wondering if a dog would get lonely / cooped up all by itself in a garden all day? The garden is not too small, about 10x5 meters.

I'd appreciate any advice on these concerns. The first one listed is the main reason I have put off getting a dog until now.

Thanks,
    Jason

First thing I can say is; do more research! You can never know enough about them. Sometimes it all seems to go out the window when you bring the dog home :rolleyes:

It's not that common, but it's a possiblilty. It's obviously a lot more likely when they're pups. An older dog will likely bark at anyone jumping the wall, but it'd still be difficult to take him, unless they plan on walking out the side gate/front door.

I think that'd be alright as long as he has plenty of toys to wear himself out with as well as challenging toys to mentally stimulate him.

As far as I know, the malamute/husky type breeds aren't the best with recall, so you can't really let him off the lead in case he runs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Jasonsc

Hey guys, ty very much for replies.

I'll try reply to you all / answer your questions, forgive me if i miss a few.

First I wanted to clarify, that there is 5 of us in the family ... there would be people home pretty regular, but on some days it may be a case that noone is home until 4pm or so.

ISDW - I'm not sure why I like Malamutes / Huskies. I tend to like most arctic dogs for some reason, I've been doing more research and came across a Norwegian Elkhound and love that as well.

I also like these type of dogs because they're very active. I intend to do a lot of hillwalking and really would like a dog to take with me, I think a Malamute would be good for this, but I'm not sure? I'd also like to be able to go cycling with the dog.

Lisa - Yes, I HATE the idea of losing my dog, not to mention the monetary issues. I think I could prevent the dog from escaping, the wall along side my garden is pretty big.

Carl - Cool idea about the challenging toys. I never knew there was challenging toys for dogs, that'd be great.

Also, I would be open to other types of dogs. But there is a few things I would like.
    - An active dog, walks every day, but also I want to be able to take it up a walk in the hills or for a cycle.
    - Preferably a dog that looks something similar to a Husky or Malamute.
    - I have a smallish garden, and it would be alone for the few hours each day, so that's an important factor too.

Some other types of dogs I like the look of are:
    - Samoyed.
    - Finnish Spitz.
    - Akita.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I minded a mal a few weeks bac and to be honest out of all the dogs Ive mined he was the most hard work,not trying to put you off but boy this dog was bonkers,and very very clever,he knew how the gate was opened and tried to do it?Personally I wouldnt be able for one but they are lovely dogs:)Ill stick to my boxers hehehe x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Mals are not defenders at all!! They are the opposite. They'll go off with anyone who shows them affection!

Also Malamutes and Husky's are great climbers. If you want to keep him in the back you are going to have to make sure the walls are secure and also make sure he wont be able to dig his way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

all these breeds of dogs, (spitz breeds) bark ALOT. you usually hear em before u see em. why not head to the national show centre, tuesday night i think 7 pm. Its the Irish Kennel Club show training and all the breeders and handlers are there i wud recommend you have a chat with them, they love to talk about there dogs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

All the atributes you seem to want in a dog could suit many dog breeds and i understand the appeal of a gorgeous pure breed but .... i hate to be the one to say this as i know everyone does ....but what about getting a mix breed from the pounds and shealters?? you might even find a pure breed you like there too ive seen loads lately.
    my own dog is a mix of collie/ aus shepard and something else and something else and he came camping with us all around ireland, climbed mountains on the weekends, swam in rivers, jumped walls, climbed trees...sorta :rolleyes:
    And i love the questions people ask when were out walking about him they dont just say 'aww hes beautiful' its what is he wheres from whys does he look like this.
    maybe its just me but i love having a dog thats a little different everyone knows him where i live too as hes so distict that if heaven forbid something happened him i know ppl would recognise him

Advertisement