Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viva for a masters?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 7:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Alright folks,

Just finishing off the aul masters (taught MSc in TCD) but I just found out there yesterday that apart from handing in the thesis we've a viva to do in November. I know people who've just finished their masters and haven't had to do this, is it normal? Has anyone here done a viva for their masters? It's a bit ridiculous to have to come back in November (thesis submission is the 24th of September) and do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Never heard of that before. I did a taught MA in DCU and did not have to do a viva. I know of people that did taught MSC's in both DCU and NUIM and am pretty sure they didn't have to either. Perhaps it is a TCD thing, but I would be surprised if you have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

JBnaglfar wrote: »
    Never heard of that before. I did a taught MA in DCU and did not have to do a viva. I know of people that did taught MSC's in both DCU and NUIM and am pretty sure they didn't have to either. Perhaps it is a TCD thing, but I would be surprised if you have to do it.

It has to be a TCD thing, my brother did his in Queens and he never did a viva. At the most I thought it would probably only be for research masters students, but taught students?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'm doing a taught MSc in TCD also (Computer Science). We have to give a presentation/demo this week, and submit the dissertation on the 15th. Never heard of the presentation being referred to as a viva though.

snappieT wrote: »
    I'm doing a taught MSc in TCD also (Computer Science). We have to give a presentation/demo this week, and submit the dissertation on the 15th. Never heard of the presentation being referred to as a viva though.

Well one of the post docs was telling us it's sort of like an interview where an internal and external examiner ask us questions regarding how we did the project etc (i.e. as she put it, they would be suspicious if someone went into the viva and couldn't explain how or why a certain method was used). Apart from that I've no idea what's involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

In Computing/IT we typically would have a project demonstration, followed by a project defence by the student.

To call it a Viva would be stretching it a bit, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Does everyone have to do it? I've only ever heard of it for taught masters as a thing for if someone's borderline grades/classification-wise.

Tom Dunne wrote:
    In Computing/IT we typically would have a project demonstration, followed by a project defence by the student.

To call it a Viva would be stretching it a bit, though.

Well that's what the course director is calling it anyway.
    claire h wrote:
    Does everyone have to do it? I've only ever heard of it for taught masters as a thing for if someone's borderline grades/classification-wise.

Yeh, and we all get our grades then the next day.

• Yep, I had one in May. Even had one for my undergrad dissertation. They called it a Viva but it wasn't really a Viva.

Advertisement