Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody loves NGN say eircom ( annual report time)

• 31-08-2010 8:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

How can this be presented as a 'success'? Under 28% market penetration. ( NGN is GENERALLY only available in UPC areas and not where there is no cable competition at present) in the annual report.
    Next Generation Broadband product suite has been very
    successful, with more than 280,000 customers expected to be actively using the service by December 2010.At that time, the service will be available to a potential customer base of over 1 million homes and
    businesses.

1.47m Phone Lines excepting ISDN which is shown as channels not lines and 708k of these had broadband at end June.
    (1.49m Phone lines (again excepting ISDN) and 703k had broadband end March)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

they knew they had to get it in and milk the crap out of it before UPC do the 100mbps rollout because there's going to be a massive defection the minute that is launched, even if it's not flawless eircom know they can't compete.

they don't even appear to be hiding the fact they've only been targetting UPC broadband areas. talk about a last ditch attempt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We know NGN is largely in big towns and cities and LGN in the rest of the state ( if anything) . eircom claim 'over' 1m premises are connected to NGN exchanges. This lot includes the c. 600k 'enabled' premises where UPC can compete with them.

Premises 'connected' to LGN exchanges are in the order of 1m too. One does not assume that they all have a working phone line...merely that a phone line is there or thereabouts. UPC is not in sight at all.

Only 70% of homes have a working eircom line anyway, I assume 95% of businesses do. There are 2m residential premises in the state ( many empty of course) and around 100k SMEs and a small number of large enterprises.

We can easily surmise that 280,000 DSL connections are in towns and cities and eircoms penetration is no more than 28%.

We can equally tell that the remaining 420,000 DSL connections are in the 1m premises connected to LGN exchanges and that eircoms penetration there is around 40%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Only 70% of homes have a working eircom line anyway, I assume 95% of businesses do. There are 2m residential premises in the state ( many empty of course) and around 100k SMEs and a small number of large enterprises.

To the best of my knowledge it's now down to just over 60% of households have a working line.

The line rental cost is the killer for those that only want phone calls and with the cheapest dsl package at "only" e47 per month we can see the models being used to set/cost line rental are fundamentally flawed and are killing fixed line broadband in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

I'd consider myself a 'victim' of NGN:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67747382&postcount=3

They dont make internet like they used to.
    Why I aughta

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Funnily enough, most people on NGN will get speeds and service worse than on UPC's current lowest package.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chicharit0

its brilliant having no contention but the new enforced caps are a complete joke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I have LGN and no contention, most contention is caused by crap backhaul....like a 500 line exchange and up to 200 dsl customer sharing 50mbits between them as Xennon found. after months of complaining.

155mbits is hardly next generation either , the STM1 was a standard ratified in 1988 and may be coming soon to your parish if you complain for months about the crap service .......22 years later :(

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

We can't even get the basic UPC connections in Jacobs Island south of Mahon because they're forbidden from running extra cables along/through the overpass. Or at least that's what I was told by their representatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I'm down a mb now with these clowns - NGB my B***ox:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Manc-Red wrote: »
    I'm down a mb now with these clowns - NGB my B***ox:mad:

Dont worry your family will get decent broadband in your next generation...... what you didnt read the fineprint ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement