Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun Run September

• 31-08-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Heya,

Just wondering if there is a Fun Run in teh city on Spetember 12th this year. Thik I saw a sign for one on the roundabout up near Tesco in Ardkeen but cant seem to find anything online. Anyone got any info. on this?

Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It's definitely on alright. I've been searcing for info on this, but the Munster Express website is pathetic and while Supervalu's website mentions it, there's no info on the actual run, just some self-serving photos.

http://www.caulfieldssupervalu.ie/news/article/caulfields-the-hypercentre-2010-fun-run-in-aid-of-waterford-hospice/

It's silly that they can display these signs around town to promote it, but not say where to sign up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

The Munster link with entry form....

http://www.munster-express.ie/fun-run/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

You can sign up through the Munster Express (afaik), or else at the RSC on the day. It's a great local event, with lots of support along the way, and good atmosphere.

The route, takes you from RSC, up the Manor, turning right at the Tower Hotel, up the Dunmore Road as far as WRH, turning right passing WLR and then taking the next right, down past Grange. Down John's Hill, and onto the Manor, back down to RSC.

rayc wrote: »

Thanks!!

The only link I found was from 2009, and that link was broken...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

gscully wrote: »
    Thanks!!

The only link I found was from 2009, and that link was broken...

Yeah it's not easy to find, someone else had posted it on facebook that's the only reason I knew of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

rayc wrote: »

Cheers RayC - Will get my act together now and register. No excuses then.

RubyK wrote: »
    You can sign up through the Munster Express (afaik), or else at the RSC on the day. It's a great local event, with lots of support along the way, and good atmosphere.

The route, takes you from RSC, up the Manor, turning right at the Tower Hotel, up the Dunmore Road as far as WRH, turning right passing WLR and then taking the next right, down past Grange. Down John's Hill, and onto the Manor, back down to RSC.

Sounds like a pretty decent run, not too many hills (apart from slight gradual incline up Dunmore road and then the Grange) but very doable for even teh novice runner which I am.

It's a pity they label it as a fun-run, when in effect it is a race. Everyone who participates is giving the same amount of money to the Hospice, yet there are prizes for the fastest runners only. I'd much rather spot-prizes were handed out to random finishing positions (as well as category winners).

Just my thoughts though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

It's a lovely run. A nice flat run all the way in the Cork Road to the Tower Hotel. From the park all the way to Tesco Ardkeen is pretty much all uphill but keep a steady pace an you're grand. There's a welcome water stop at Tesco, then once you turn right at the roundabout onto the Williamstown Road you have another tough hill up to the entrace to The Grange. But from then on it's all downhill to the John St./Parnell St. junction. There are usually a nice family handing out orange segments on the hill down which is nice! It's pretty flat all the way back to the RSC so you can push it as hard as you can to the finish line.

Did everyone manager to survive?

I thought it was a very tough course from the 2KM mark (Just beyond Tower hotel) to 6KM mark (Top of Johns Hill) with it all being up hill but in saying that I managed to survive it and finish it in a better time than I expected so I was happy. Was a great day (but a bit warm at times) and topped it off by taking a visit to the Harvest festival so all in all was a great weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was us in Dingle a couple of weeks ago for their Marathon and for the life of me I can't imagine why Waterford don't have one. It brought allot of people to the town and there was a seriously good buzz going on.

ziedth wrote: »
    I was us in Dingle a couple of weeks ago for their Marathon and for the life of me I can't imagine why Waterford don't have one. It brought allot of people to the town and there was a seriously good buzz going on.

Totally agree with you on that one Ziedth. They have a half marathon on in December but cant see why they cant organise a full one. Im sure they have considered it but why it hasnt happened who knows...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Whats the route for the half in Waterford does anyone know?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Whats the route for the half in Waterford does anyone know?

Here ya go Cabaal

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/ireland/waterford/713621615501

Did the 10k run as a half-marathon training run on Saturday as I wanted to go out that night and didn't fancy doing it Sunday morning! Did 9.3k officially as didn't have the luxury of access to the running track or any closed roads! . Finished in 54 mins which was considerably slower than I'd run it in a race but took it easy as it wasn't a race and found it quite enjoyable.

Anyone know where I can see the results of this Fun Run or when they will be posted?

Be great to know what the winning time was and also what my official time was :D

For anyone looking to do the half-marathon online entry for the race is now open.

http://www.runireland.com/events/waterford-12-marathon

Advertisement