Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Car park

Options
  • 31-08-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

All I can say is fair play to who ever opened the new car park in the Omniplex €3 a day... Nice big Sign advertising it to inside the Dyke Road Car park :)

City Hall won't like that... lol... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Is it €3 all day? Where exactly is it?
    I also spotted a car park I hadn't seen before near Mill Street for a euro something an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Yep €3 for the day... its behind the Omniplex... You probably have to drive into the cinema and drive behind it...

I unfortunately had already paid my €5 in the dyke before I saw it.. :o

Haven't seen the one in Millstreet thanks for that :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I wonder will these rates and those in other private carparks around down drive down the cost of on-street pay and display parking?

I ****ing doubt it because whoever was setting the rates had decided to set the rates in Galway higher than Stephen's Green...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Great news! I parked in town for 5mins the other day and min charge was 1.60. Then drove to Tullamore and parking in main square was 0.50per hr!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

magentas wrote: »
    Great news! I parked in town for 5mins the other day and min charge was 1.60. Then drove to Tullamore and parking in main square was 0.50per hr!

That's shocking. Tullamore charges for parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

snubbleste wrote: »

shuddup! I suppose it is all relative :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

snubbleste wrote: »

they're funding finally paving their main street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

magentas wrote: »
    shuddup! I suppose it is all relative :D
    at least the tap water in Tullamore is potable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm confused.......behind the omniplex.......is that not dyke road?! Or do you mean that little space to the left of omniplex with the stony ground thats been a bit of a kip for ages?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I'm confused.......behind the omniplex.......is that not dyke road?! Or do you mean that little space to the left of omniplex with the stony ground thats been a bit of a kip for ages?

Yea that's the place. I'm just not sure how you pay for it. There's only a sign with a number for assistance and I couldn't see a Pay and Display machine :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's been a sign about a market there, too.

Doesn't mean that the market got planning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Only €3 .......brilliant!:)

I have to add, that there is absolutely no need for the city council to be creaming it, the way they are, with their parking charges. They are completely out of step with rational thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I have to add, that there is absolutely no need for the city council to be creaming it, the way they are, with their parking charges. They are completely out of step with rational thinking.

Well duh, they're civil servants.

It's a shame that their occupational title does not always reflect their role in society. To hinder and not help, to screw and not serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

When you drive in there is a lovely lady there.. she'll be floating around the car park.. she'll come over you pay the €3 and she gives you a ticket... :D

Parking charges are set to discourage you from bringing your car into the city. So they're always going to be a bit more than the cost of a bus fair in and out.

In terms of "need" - have you heard anything about council budgets lately? I don't recall them having too much spare cash.

And in defence of the civil servants: the employees do the will of the councillors who we all elect. If you have a problem with the polcies that they employees are implementing, talk to your local councillor about it.

Spoken like a civil servant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

JustMary wrote: »
    Parking charges are set to discourage you from bringing your car into the city. So they're always going to be a bit more than the cost of a bus fair in and out.

In terms of "need" - have you heard anything about council budgets lately? I don't recall them having too much spare cash.

And in defence of the civil servants: the employees do the will of the councillors who we all elect. If you have a problem with the polcies that they employees are implementing, talk to your local councillor about it.

I agree that parking charges should be set to discourage parking in city centers, but if a local authoritys are making so much money from it - then they probably wont want to discourage it to much. As far as I am aware Galway City Council made €4million in 2009 from car parking down 20% on 2008 when they made in an around €5million.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

If they want to encourage people not to bring the cars into town, they need to fix this:

a) For two people, a bus in and back out of town is €3.20 per person return, making it €6.40

b) Or, I can park in Dyke road all day, plus easily handle the shopping and whatnot, for a €5. Or, I can park in Jury's or M+S for up to 3 hours-ish.

I reckon if they could find a way to do specials on the buses, something like 1 euro at weekends, it would encourage at least a few back out of the car.

/rant :)
    lamps

• Advertisement

lampsie wrote: »
    If they want to encourage people not to bring the cars into town, they need to fix this:

a) For two people, a bus in and back out of town is €3.20 per person return, making it €6.40

b) Or, I can park in Dyke road all day, plus easily handle the shopping and whatnot, for a €5. Or, I can park in Jury's or M+S for up to 3 hours-ish.

I reckon if they could find a way to do specials on the buses, something like 1 euro at weekends, it would encourage at least a few back out of the car.

/rant :)
    lamps

The other option is to actually remove some parking. Some of the onstreet could be removed or converted into disabled/elderly parking spots; bike stands or for a green space like plant one or two trees in one car parking spot on a street.
    Re buses -> Ya totally agree - €1.60 flat fare is daft; only makes sense if going from terminus to terminus. Dont know why Galway cant have same policy as Dublin bus who have different pricing based on number of stages/stops you pass; plus they also have smart daily, weekly, monthly tickets. Alot of the delays on Galway City buses is that drivers have to issue change to every single passenger

The other option is to actually remove some parking. Some of the onstreet could be removed or converted into disabled/elderly parking spots; bike stands or for a green space like plant one or two trees in one car parking spot on a street.
    Re buses -> Ya totally agree - €1.60 flat fare is daft; only makes sense if going from terminus to terminus. Dont know why Galway cant have same policy as Dublin bus who have different pricing based on number of stages/stops you pass; plus they also have smart daily, weekly, monthly tickets. Alot of the delays on Galway City buses is that drivers have to issue change to every single passenger

That is exactly the kind of dynamic thinking that this city needs. All too frequently the lazy option is taken, where a penalty is introduced to "discourage" people and sweet f.a else is done.

Spoken like a civil servant.

As someone who's worked for a variety of public and private sector organisations, I'll take that as a compliment.

fwiw, I found the private sector easier: if something isn't making money you can just stop selling that product/service and put your efforts into other profitable activities. Public service roles have no such luxury.

Dont know why Galway cant have same policy as Dublin bus who have different pricing based on number of stages/stops you pass; plus they also have smart daily, weekly, monthly tickets.

Possibly because Galway is a lot smaller than Dublin!

I'm not aware of Dublin having "smart" (as in integrated electronic) ticketing yet, though it's being worked on.

Bus Éireann city services in Galway do have monthly, weekly and now daily tickets. Granted they haven't advertised the daily option (called a day-pass) widely, and it's not integrated across the companies. But it's a start.

fwiw, I found the private sector easier: if something isn't making money you can just stop selling that product/service and put your efforts into other profitable activities. Public service roles have no such luxury.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly my point. The public sector have the role of serving the needs of society. Yes, they do not have the luxury of being able to desert it, but neither do they have the right to manipulate our needs so that it suits them.

There was a great example of this yesterday with Mr. Aherne.

Problem= to many cash robberies
    Solution= tax people to discourage them using cash?????

Do you see how lazy this sort of thinking is? How wholly inappropiate it is to coerce society in such a selfish manner? He has got a problem on his hands, but why effect us all so negatively?

It's this negative approach that I take issue with. In our case we have have a traffic problem, but charging exorbitant prices for parking is nothing more than a thinly veiled revenue generating exercise and a dis-service to those whom one is meant to cater for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

You would also swear that everyone had a bus stop outside their front door. Public transport is not an option for a huge chunk of the population and these people still need to come into citys.

JustMary wrote: »
    Possibly because Galway is a lot smaller than Dublin!

I'm not aware of Dublin having "smart" (as in integrated electronic) ticketing yet, though it's being worked on.

Bus Éireann city services in Galway do have monthly, weekly and now daily tickets. Granted they haven't advertised the daily option (called a day-pass) widely, and it's not integrated across the companies. But it's a start.

I still think its expensive for short trips. Its been a while since I took a Dublin Bus, but the cheapest far is under €1 for 1-3 stages.
    Your right re the ticket types being available for Galway, also they dont have smart tickets in Dublin Bus; they are magnetic tickets. When buying the Bus Éireann monthly, weekly and daily tickets are they purchased from the driver or do they have to be bought at Ceannt station? In Dublin you can buy the magnetic tickets(not smart) from newsagents, the drivers dont handle cash/tickets at all. It speeds things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That is exactly my point. The public sector have the role of serving the needs of society. Yes, they do not have the luxury of being able to desert it, but neither do they have the right to manipulate our needs so that it suits them.

Who says they're doing it to suit them? The city council is comprised of a management executive and a democratically elected council. The councillors take decisions and make policy, the management carry out the duties ascribed to them by the council and by the government. AFAIK the parking charges have been approved by the elected council. You have the democratic right not to vote for councillors who approve parking charges, or to lobby them to have them changed. If you don't vote, you forfeit that right and any say in the council "manipulating your needs to suit them".

When buying the Bus Éireann monthly, weekly and daily tickets are they purchased from the driver or do they have to be bought at Ceannt station? In Dublin you can buy the magnetic tickets(not smart) from newsagents, the drivers dont handle cash/tickets at all. It speeds things up.

In Galway, day-pass tickets are purchased from the driver. Weekly and monthly tickets are from Galway Travel Centre in the railway station.

• Advertisement

The other option is to actually remove some parking.

Its more parking we need not less, you have to remember that the whole of country Galway needs to be able to park in town when they go in shopping, its not just the few people that drive in who could get a bus that park their cars in town.

Advertisement