Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The lawless land; Travel Forum

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Ponster wrote: »
    ... That refers to the travel forum being possible rebuilt ....

And that's what I was asking about. I envisaged that a conversation might take place that would be open to interested parties, and I supposed that it might take place here.

... If there's a rejig in the offing, might it be a topic for Feedforward?

In my opinion, it's not really a big-deal strategic thing, more a housekeeping job. I think FeedForward is intended for general policy and strategy, more of a boards-wide review.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I suggested to cmods to not find a new mod for the forum in the event that the forum gets removed with the travel "shake-up" but install a temp mod instead.

In recent days/weeks I've identified 2 likely candidates ... and the Admins have run the rule over them both and given the green light ... at the risk of sounding like a policitian... we've turned a corner :)
    I wouldn't worry too much about that, once the bases are covered, which they are in fairness. If there's a rejig in the offing, might it be a topic for Feedforward?
    And that's what I was asking about. I envisaged that a conversation might take place that would be open to interested parties, and I supposed that it might take place here.

I see no problems with having the conversation in Feedback ... so long as there are enough interested parties and everyone gets their spoke.

trout wrote: »
    ... I see no problems with having the conversation in Feedback ... so long as there are enough interested parties and everyone gets their spoke.

Sound fair to me.

I have no special standing in the travel forums, and you have. What would you say to putting a message (perhaps a sticky) in each of them to invite participants to have a look at the conversation here, and say what they might like to happen?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

ghosttown wrote: »
    I don't want to go into each region and county to hear about who's bins aren't being collected,

Just to point out that in Travel, we don't have any regions, just one main forum though a separate Ireland forum may be of use if the posts are there to support such a forum.

• Advertisement

What would you say to putting a message (perhaps a sticky) in each of them to invite participants to have a look at the conversation here, and say what they might like to happen?

Will do tomorrow (linking to a new thread in feedback rather than this one).

Will do tomorrow (linking to a new thread in feedback rather than this one).

??

I made a thread but for some reason it seems to have disappeared?

I'll find it and put it back tomorrow morning.

In the meantime we (at last) found someone who has accepted to bring some law to the Independent Travel forum. Hoping they'll be installed this weekend !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I would love someone to open a discussion on the re-jigging of the travel forums.

At the moment many people are posting independent travl questions in the regular travel sections and not getting many replies. And the people who do reply are different to those who reply on the Independant Travel forum. If it was arranged by continent it would be far more organized.

And the 'What to do in' is a terrible forum as I feel the posts there would get far more replies if they were in a specific location category.

One suggestion could be:

Holidays
    Oz/NZ
    North America
    Europe
    South America/Africa/Asia
    RTW/Long Haul Travel
    Ireland

Could be more, but I'm not sure how many forums we're allowed! I think the Ireland one is very important as more people seem to want to holiday at home these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Slidey wrote: »
    Sailing & Boating also has no dedicated mods and has been that way for well over 6 months. I also brought it to admin attention in the mod forum months ago
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    We should have that sorted shortly.

Just as a matter of interest, define shortly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

There is a new "Future of Travel" thread that focuses on the restructuring of the travel forums, so to avoid duplication, please see also the discussion there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056056019
    Savman wrote: »
    Definitely needs re-organising IMHO. Rather than 'North America' (which I think is an ambiguous title) what about renaming that one 'USA & Canada'?
    Agree! I was referred today to this thread by two of my Cmods (trout and g'em) regarding this very issue.

I've been the mod for the North America forum for over a year now. It appears to have grown a bit, especially Canada and the USA. Mexico has been largely dormant, with the past flu epidemic discouraging interest somewhat.

For months now, several Canada posters have expressed an interest to have their own unique forum.

What do you think about restructuring the North America forum into 2 separate forums, Canada and USA, deleting the North America title, and reassigning Mexico to So/Central America forum?

This would also serve to eliminate the occasional ambiguity associated with what North America represents, where new members erroneously post to one of the other travel forums.

If 2 separate forums are created for Canada and USA from the existing North America forum, I would like to remain a mod for both the new forums, and help them to continue to grow.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Slidey wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, define shortly
    Fell between the cracks.

Resuscitating, please wait... :)

Advertisement